Resident Evil 2 Remake [XO, PS4, PC]

Dwq2--PVYAATyA5.jpg

Dwq295vUcAEqmx4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I don't change anything in brightness values etc. while playing and I want to see the film exactly like the director intended it. But it's wrong in RE2. The black point is not set correctly. The whole picture in RE2 is just gray. No dark and no light areas and a native contrast ratio of 800:1 or so. Last time I've seen such a thing in some digital recorded Star Trek shows in the 1990s (and the TV channel must have made it worse I would say). I don't need to buy an expensive TV to get such a bad picture. You can also overdo it with the style. However, many developers seem to have a bad taste in general. Exaggerated chromatic Aberration, sharpening etc. is deactivated (by me) whenever possible.

Last edited:
meh, I wouldn't touch in-game sliders just because I don't like the look, it's like boosting saturation while watching movie because colors are dull ... it's nonsense on already calibrated TV.
yup, if I just knew what I was doing like @Jupiter I'd be okay with tweaking. Luckily enough, the IPS screen of my laptop comes already calibrated by MSi with the MSI True Color tool, so I can't complain.

Sometimes I connect my computer to a 4k monitor, which is the typical LED monitor and while you gain in resolution plus screen size, image quality just can't compare.

Damn, I just did the demo, not for me at all... and, on the PS4 Pro, the DoF is really f.. up in some cinematics, blurring some textures still at the center of the scene... And all in all I find the game pretty blurry and dull. Don't like the "can't push a zombie from me without a knife" thing either, but eh that's RE.

It looks to me that this Eurogamer contributor has a tendency to write non-standard gaming articles. Will read it later.

Word is no 4k/30fps mode on either premium consoles, how very disappointing considering a slow paced survival game such as this would be suited to it.

Why? Both premium consoles are very close to 60. If there was some serious performance issues, then I could see why 30fps lock could be needed.

Or is that you personal preference? You don't want 60fps in a "slow game"?

As an owner of the original Xbox One I would say: "What, no native 4K@30 for the Xbox One X? Capcom, you suck!"
:LOL:

--------------
Post-launch free content announced for Resident Evil 2 Remake

This new free game mode will be called The Ghost Survivors. In this mode, gamers will be able to play as multiple characters with randomized elements and an in-game shop (this shop will not feature micro-transactions)

Last edited:
Why? Both premium consoles are very close to 60. If there was some serious performance issues, then I could see why 30fps lock could be needed.

Or is that you personal preference? You don't want 60fps in a "slow game"?
Yeah definitely my personal preference, increase the res to native 4k or something and target 30fps. Those low res reflections and blurry image quality sure need some pixel boost.

The game is too different from the original. Not really a remake but rather a reimagining. The glimpse we got in RE0 of what could have been was far more faithful to the original than this.

The game is too different from the original. Not really a remake but rather a reimagining. The glimpse we got in RE0 of what could have been was far more faithful to the original than this.

I have to say that I have mixed feelings for the remake of what I have experienced so far.
There were interesting ambient sounds and music in the original which elevated the atmosphere. Now there is too much silence.
The darkness makes the areas indistinguishable and hard to map memories of each room. Whereas in the original, the rooms were lid appropriately and had distinct aesthetics so every room was memorable. It helped our brains map the police station. The music assisted in this as well. Some locations had different sound effects or music.
In this one, it is much harder to understand where you are. Darkness hides too much information in this game. The ambient and artistically placed lighting in the original environments is absent in too many places. It is a shame because it hides an otherwise well made detailed environment.
The library and main hall have more impact because they retain this nice identity of lighting.
The rooms looked dirtier and better decayed in the original too. This includes rooms that have not been destroyed or messed up. Now rooms look either too clean or just messy.

I think it's fun enough and looks great for the most part but I find it a bit boring. All that backtracking. I realize this is what RE2 is but still. I'm running around the police station like a crazy man lol. And yeah maybe the atmosphere could have been tuned in better, but I do like the feel of their RE engine for the most part.

The extreme haze in the pitch black areas is a bit strange. Artistic choice of course. But on an HDR OLED it's distracting.

Last edited:
Backtracking is not the big problem, but there are no major differences between Leon A and Leon B (or Claire A and Claire B).
And what I don't understand: Leon and Claire fight twice against William and then in the NEST? If Leon A kills ("kills") William in the big fight, why does Claire B fight against William again? It makes no sense.

I'm loving it. I think it's a wonderfully crafted game from top to bottom. Modernized where it was appropriate, yet still very much RE2 at its core. Just as the mansion in REmake, the police station is a wonderfully intricate puzzle box packed with strategic choices (which window should I bar? Do I kill the zombies? Do I kill the Lickers? Is that herb worth the trip?) The way they implemented Mr X in the remake is fucking genius too. He's like a better version of the Alien in Alien Isolation. The fact that you can clearly hear his massive foot steps from just about anywhere in the building makes the encounter so delightfully unnerving. And unlike the Alien, he isn't attached to the player with an invisible leash either. A bit more music would've been nice, though. I think I'm gonna spring for the RE2 OST you can buy in the PS store.
Also props to Capcom for trying to get the framerate high. I'm on a regular PS4, so a locked 60fps is completely off the cards, but I'm actually a-okay with the 45-60 fps I'm getting (feels similar to the Tomb Raider remake). Feels great to play.

And omg dat beard tech on the poor trucker, y'all :)

Also props to Capcom for trying to get the framerate high.

Yes. They went for a AAA game of the caliber of U4, Dad of War, Gears, etc... with all the high-end render features and asset quality one would expect, but still didn't shy away from at least shooting for 60hz. Great! I hope Capcom maintains that mindset as next gen comes, and more studios follow. That's what U4 was meant to be, but ND didn't have the balls.

This game is fantastic. I think I actually missed out on this game when it came out. I remember people playing in my dorm room, but it must have not been me because I don't remember anything now. (lol old age memory).

I really hope they remake 3 and 4 as well.

Back