All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I have put together a chart for X360 vs Xbox One NPD as it looks like their paths are about to cross (it came up on resetera and I was curious);

Capture.jpg

I have uploaded the data so people can check it (and correct/use it) here.

I believe what you are seeing there is the 360's Kinect sales bump in action. Unless the discless SKU is somehow made really appealing in some way, I'm not sure there's much MS can do at this point to recreate that phenomenon with the One.

Edit:Actually, no. Now that I look at it more carefully, the One sales flatten relative to the 360 earlier than that. So, more likely that's the PS4 sales taking a bigger chunk of the total market than what the PS3 managed. It'll be interesting to see if that Kinect bump does manifest in the coming months, though.

Last edited:
I believe what you are seeing there is the 360's Kinect sales bump in action. Unless the discless SKU is somehow made really appealing in some way, I'm not sure there's much MS can do at this point to recreate that phenomenon with the One.

Edit:Actually, no. Now that I look at it more carefully, the One sales flatten relative to the 360 earlier than that. So, more likely that's the PS4 sales taking a bigger chunk of the total market than what the PS3 managed. It'll be interesting to see if that Kinect bump does manifest in the coming months, though.

2010 was a great year for the 360. In June MS released the X360 Slim, which had really strong sales from the gates and Kinect released in November continuing and increasing the very strong momentum. 2011 was a huge year for the platform. One does not have an answer to that and I don't think PS4 can match those (2010-11) numbers either, it just happens to be quite a bit in front at that point, but will lose some ground in US at comparable point.

Re-release kinetic 2!? :p

Apparently, MS sold about 41 millions Xbox : https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...er-on-xbox-one-than-on-other-platforms.95535/

So, the conservative numbers supported by some members of this forum were likely the best...

So that's, what? 16m outside the US (around 40% total). Ouch, worse than I thought. Last gen was around 50% I think...also are they not selling to more markets?

Wow, another thought...I think I saw 8m for UK? That means Xbox sales outside US and UK are only 20% right?

Wow, another thought...I think I saw 8m for UK? That means Xbox sales outside US and UK are only 20% right?
https://gamingbolt.com/ps4-sells-1-...es-at-1-4-million-xbox-one-at-under-5-million (11th, Dec. 2018)

"(Switch 1.4M)
He provided some numbers for the other two systems as well- the PS4 has now crossed over 1 million units sold for 2018, which takes its lifetime sales in the region to “well over” 6 million. In comparison, the lifetime sales for the Xbox One in the UK are just under 5 million units sold."

So that's, what? 16m outside the US (around 40% total). Ouch, worse than I thought. Last gen was around 50% I think...also are they not selling to more markets?

16.5 millions in the rest of the world and Christopher Dring from gamesindustry gives UK number end of 2018, it is a bit over 6 millions for PS4 and a bit under 5 millions for Xbox One. Thet sold 11,5 millions Xbox One out of UK and US. 2,3 millions Xbox One per year.

EDIT: They did the math on resetera out of US PS4 has 80% marketshare against 20% for Xbox One

Sales of Xbox One S went down and is held up by X1X according to analyst. I think what they didn't expect was the X1X cannibalizing 1S sales, they likely forcasted 1S to keep momentum alongside 1X.

16.5 millions in the rest of the world and Christopher Dring from gamesindustry gives UK number end of 2018, it is a bit over 6 millions for PS4 and a bit under 5 millions for Xbox One. Thet sold 11,5 millions Xbox One out of UK and US. 2,3 millions Xbox One per year.

EDIT: They did the math on resetera out of US PS4 has 80% marketshare against 20% for Xbox One

Cheers, I dindo suppose you have a link?

Sales of Xbox One S went down and is held up by X1X according to analyst. I think what they didn't expect was the X1X cannibalizing 1S sales, they likely forcasted 1S to keep momentum alongside 1X.

Interesting how the X and Pro have played out. Be interesting to see how many sales are upgraders.

Only in US, he said first part of comment is US only

Does it mean the sales went down significantly after X launched, or xbox was overtracked for years and we discovered it now?

We're past the generation peak, and the 2017/2018 upgraders bump is also over.

In US Xbox One is up year to year not in other part of the world. It is a US, UK and Mexico console. In other country this is not the case out of US and UK they have less than 20% of market share compared with PS4..

Last edited:
I've been warning people on this forum for years that they were overestimating Xbox One sales.
who are you talking about? Why does this matter. Please let's not get derail the discussion to petty matters.

(If it's a joke, it's not a very good one)

Last edited:
Only in US, he said first part of comment is US only

In US Xbox One is up year to year not in other part of the world. It is a US, UK and Mexico console. In other country this is not the case out of US and UK it is they have less than 20% of market share..
agreed as per NPD.

That's roughly what it was last gen as well. XBO is basically selling roughly the same around the world as X360. The only reason it looks really bad this generation is because PS4 is doing so extremely well, especially outside of the US.

From VGChartz (it's VGChartz, don't take the numbers as absolutely correct, only as numbers for a generalized view :))

X360
  • US - 49.11 (~57.24%)
  • EU - 25.87 (~30.15%)
  • Japan - 1.66 (~1.93%)
  • Rest of World 9.16 (~10.68%)

XBO
  • US - 26.83 (~62.19%)
  • EU - 11.52 (~26.70%)
  • Japan - 0.10 (~0.23%)
  • Rest of world 4.69 (~10.87%)
So, EU went down a bit, Japan lost almost all sales while the US increased a bit.

Interestingly, the percentage of XBO sales to the rest of the world (Russia, Africa, S. America, Southeast Asia, India, etc.) not in those 3 sales territories increased slightly.

Regards,
SB

Since 2015 I guessed that the US was 55-60% (~58% to be exact) of XB1 sales. I think 58% was close, but it seems that has gone up slightly since.. particularly in the past year since XB1X launched.

That's roughly what it was last gen as well. XBO is basically selling roughly the same around the world as X360. The only reason it looks really bad this generation is because PS4 is doing so extremely well, especially outside of the US.
41M is not great, regardless of how well PS4 is doing. XB1 will be lucky to sell 55M lifetime, which is ~30M less than X360.

MS is setup to do well next gen, though. I think XB2 has a good chance of overtaking PS5 in the US. I think Sony will dominate EU again though.

Last edited:

Thanks, do you also have a link to the testers calculations?

From VGChartz (it's VGChartz, don't take the numbers as absolutely correct, only as numbers for a generalized view :))

X360
  • US - 49.11 (~57.24%)
  • EU - 25.87 (~30.15%)
  • Japan - 1.66 (~1.93%)
  • Rest of World 9.16 (~10.68%)

XBO
  • US - 26.83 (~62.19%)
  • EU - 11.52 (~26.70%)
  • Japan - 0.10 (~0.23%)
  • Rest of world 4.69 (~10.87%)
So, EU went down a bit, Japan lost almost all sales while the US increased a bit.

Interestingly, the percentage of XBO sales to the rest of the world (Russia, Africa, S. America, Southeast Asia, India, etc.) not in those 3 sales territories increased slightly.

Regards,
SB

I figured 5% swing but I think it might be interesting to see UK figures split from the rest of Europe. BTW I think XBOne is available in more counties hence the increase there.

41M is not great, regardless of how well PS4 is doing. XB1 will be lucky to sell 55M lifetime, which is ~30M less than X360.

MS is setup to do well next gen, though. I think XB2 has a good chance of overtaking PS5 in the US. I think Sony will dominate EU again though.

It's around where X360 was at this point in its life. But the next year of comparison will include Kinect, I believe, which gave X360 a massive late life sales boost, so that's when XBO will star to compare unfavorably to X360.

But as of now, it's basically doing roughly the same as X360. It had a better start, but is slowing down a little more quickly. And if not for the launch of the XBO-X, it might be faring quite a bit worse.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back