Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
While GPU power is more important to gaming, i also doubt they wont abandon jaguar, hope they wont use it again atleast. Or sony will use the jaguar, aside from a ryzen cpu. The jaguar can double for BC and background tasks etc,

Big.Little configuration?

Article isn't quite correct about Jaguar not supporting boost (puma has it) - not suggesting anything, but just uh... fact.
shifty-gif.2833
Puma and Jaguar are two different cores, but there's actually one Jaguar APU that has turbo, the A6-1450.

Big.Little configuration?
AFAIK AMD has no relevant research into hybrid CPU cores, like Intel is doing now with their Core+Atom for fanless mobile designs.
Next gen home consoles are probably not going to be 7W designs like the one from Intel and AMD has long ago discontinued R&D on the Cat cores, so Zen 2 cores downclocking for idle is probably just fine for whatever they need.

Now a beefier ARM core for active standby and background downloads is a whole different thing. The PS4 uses the "Aeolia" chip which is a Marvell SoC with an undisclosed ARM CPU.
I think its initial purpose was to do full downloads on standby, but it's not capable of such. So in practice, that CPU is just pinging PSN asking for updates on the various games that are installed and sends the main SoC a wake up signal to turn on the console and do the downloads. A beefier ARM core could do everything on active standby without having to wake up the big guy.

For what it's worth, I read it slightly different from Ensaka using the cheat sheet:
2 - ES1 Engineering Sample
G - Unknown Platform, possibly console
160 - 1.6 GHz Baseclock
0 - Revision 0
2C - Unknown TDP/Family-reference
E - Unknown socket/package
8 - 8 Cores
J - Unknown cache configuration
A2 - Unknown stepping
32 - 3.2 GHz Boost-clock
10 - This clearly doesn't belong here?
10_1359 - Tunnistamaton loppupääte 10 could be 1 GHz and 1359 Navi I suppose (Ensakas old tweet link isn't working so can't check what it says about navi names)

For what it's worth, I read it slightly different from Ensaka using the cheat sheet:
2 - ES1 Engineering Sample
G - Unknown Platform, possibly console
160 - 1.6 GHz Baseclock
0 - Revision 0
2C - Unknown TDP/Family-reference
E - Unknown socket/package
8 - 8 Cores
J - Unknown cache configuration
A2 - Unknown stepping
32 - 3.2 GHz Boost-clock
10 - This clearly doesn't belong here?
10_1359 - Tunnistamaton loppupääte 10 could be 1 GHz and 1359 Navi I suppose (Ensakas old tweet link isn't working so can't check what it says about navi names)
So, AMD have an 8 core 1.6/3.2 GHz CPU for something. Mind blown! Teh insight!!

WTF is your problem? I just said how it reads based on the cheat sheet (which was posted in this thread, too)
I'm saying this news isn't very useful to us. Having a code that deciphers to 'unknown' isn't all that informative. ;)

Chris1515 posts exciting code. What does it mean?? A cheetsheet, and decoding, and...a lot of unknowns, but we can safely say AMD have an 8 core CPU. Revelation!! So much Excitement! (sarcasm).

While we are still in the speculation land... DG14 & DG15 = 7nm versions of base and Pro PS4 chips?

hm.... is 4Slim DG11? Wonder if DG13 was 4Pro on "12nm", which ought to be fairly straightforward.

7nm revision would be interesting, certainly.

I'm saying this news isn't very useful to us. Having a code that deciphers to 'unknown' isn't all that informative. ;)

Chris1515 posts exciting code. What does it mean?? A cheetsheet, and decoding, and...a lot of unknowns, but we can safely say AMD have an 8 core CPU. Revelation!! So much Excitement! (sarcasm).

Well, the codes apparently indicate it is an 8 core CPU destined for a semi-custom design, which should warrant some interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back