Hard time picking a display (1440p, 144Hz, HDR)

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
So, I'm in the market to buy a new display. Currently I'm pretty much set on ~32" 1440p which would keep the pixel size similar to my current 24" 1080p, preferrably curved one at that. 144 Hz is a must (or let's say 120Hz+), just like HDR (and would prefer at least some sort of local dimming included even if it meets only HDR400)

I was already almost buying Samsung 32HG70, it looks to have all the bells and whistles with FreeSync 2 support and DisplayHDR 600 certification, but then I learned that it's using PWM to control backlight, which means it's flickering no matter what they claim and I fear the flickering would be noticeable (it also flickers more the lower you set your brightness) and cause issues like headache or eyestrain.
Anyone here have it and care to weigh-in?

But what other solutions are there?
BenQ EX3203R seemed like a good candidate, but can't find information on it's backlight and there's a general shortage of reviews on it, the ones I found criticized at least color reproduction and there's no word on any local dimming support since HDR400 doesn't require it.

I understand 120hz but 144hz ?
where do they get that number from

ps: how about going 21:9 ultrawide 3440 x 1440 ?

I understand 120hz but 144hz ?
where do they get that number from

ps: how about going 21:9 ultrawide 3440 x 1440 ?
6x24 aka movie FPS

Ultrawide could be option too, but I think it would drive up the costs even more and those "specs" I want cost a lot to begin with

Just as an update, I took a leap of faith and ordered the 32HG70, if the PWM backlight is noticeable I'll just return it

Please update on ur thoughts on this display since I want to buy the 27 inch one and ur feedback would be much appreciated.

Please update on ur thoughts on this display since I want to buy the 27 inch one and ur feedback would be much appreciated.
Well, the PWM backlight doesn't seem to be an issue for me, haven't noticed it nor gotten headache or eyestrain (more than normal anyway)

General observations:
This thing is bright. I mean eye-melting bright. Lucky thing you can turn the brightness down, I got mine at 31.
Fun fact: If you want faster or fastest response times that means backlight strobing, which isn't noticeable (the strobing i mean). But the fact that it also locks the brightness to 100 definitely is noticeable.
Seems to forget the brightness setting at times and reset it back to 100, minor hassle to get it back to 31 and not 110% sure if it's been me trying to mess around something or does it happen always with mode changes and cba to test it before it happens the next time.
The stand is deep. I mean deep. I mean it's ridiculously deep. Lucky thing I got replacement stand incoming which will allow me to mount this thing close to the wall.
I was genuinely surprised that Win10 HDR implementation is robust enough to handle a HDR window without messing rest of the screen with SDR content.

Need help:
This thing doesn't have proper stand-by mode apparently, when you turn the display off the computer thinks it's disconnected and throws everything and Bill Gates to my TV. Previous monitor, also using DP, didn't do this. Any solutions highly appreciated, the amount of Bill Gateses is alarming.
It's apparently possible for a monitor to break Photoshop. After installing the monitor, I noticed that Photoshop had the option for 30-bit display ready to be ticked. Stupid me, I ticked it, and I'm 99.99% sure the issues started the next time I started Photoshop. After the splash screen I get error saying "Could not complete the command because of a program error". After clicking OK on that, Photoshop starts fine, but on Performance page of settings it doesn't recognize my GPU (GTX 1060) at all anymore. File handling > Camera raw still detects it fine though. The error message was traced to sniffer.exe, Adobes GPU sniffing tool, but deleting it only removes the error, GPU still doesn't get recognized. Reinstalling CC2019 doesn't help, no matter if you delete preferences during uninstall, not 100% sure if CC2018 and 2017 gave the same error message or not, but they couldn't recognize my GPU either anymore (fresh installs both). Adobe support wasn't help at all, only thing they managed to come up with was deleting sniffer.exe to get rid of that one error message.

Well, the PWM backlight doesn't seem to be an issue for me, haven't noticed it nor gotten headache or eyestrain (more than normal anyway)

General observations:
This thing is bright. I mean eye-melting bright. Lucky thing you can turn the brightness down, I got mine at 31.
Fun fact: If you want faster or fastest response times that means backlight strobing, which isn't noticeable (the strobing i mean). But the fact that it also locks the brightness to 100 definitely is noticeable.
Seems to forget the brightness setting at times and reset it back to 100, minor hassle to get it back to 31 and not 110% sure if it's been me trying to mess around something or does it happen always with mode changes and cba to test it before it happens the next time.
The stand is deep. I mean deep. I mean it's ridiculously deep. Lucky thing I got replacement stand incoming which will allow me to mount this thing close to the wall.
I was genuinely surprised that Win10 HDR implementation is robust enough to handle a HDR window without messing rest of the screen with SDR content.

Need help:
This thing doesn't have proper stand-by mode apparently, when you turn the display off the computer thinks it's disconnected and throws everything and Bill Gates to my TV. Previous monitor, also using DP, didn't do this. Any solutions highly appreciated, the amount of Bill Gateses is alarming.
It's apparently possible for a monitor to break Photoshop. After installing the monitor, I noticed that Photoshop had the option for 30-bit display ready to be ticked. Stupid me, I ticked it, and I'm 99.99% sure the issues started the next time I started Photoshop. After the splash screen I get error saying "Could not complete the command because of a program error". After clicking OK on that, Photoshop starts fine, but on Performance page of settings it doesn't recognize my GPU (GTX 1060) at all anymore. File handling > Camera raw still detects it fine though. The error message was traced to sniffer.exe, Adobes GPU sniffing tool, but deleting it only removes the error, GPU still doesn't get recognized. Reinstalling CC2019 doesn't help, no matter if you delete preferences during uninstall, not 100% sure if CC2018 and 2017 gave the same error message or not, but they couldn't recognize my GPU either anymore (fresh installs both). Adobe support wasn't help at all, only thing they managed to come up with was deleting sniffer.exe to get rid of that one error message.

Thanks for the replay much appreciated. How about the picture quality? Its the main reason why I want this display(more than 1080p, 120+Hz, and great picture quality)

Looking around I found this Forum about displays. Maybe you can ask there.

https://limscave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=100

Thanks for the replay much appreciated. How about the picture quality? Its the main reason why I want this display(more than 1080p, 120+Hz, and great picture quality)

Looking around I found this Forum about displays. Maybe you can ask there.

https://limscave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=100
The IQ is fine in my eyes, some uniformity issues perhaps but could be just bad positioning compared to my eyes too until I get the new stand. But I'm no golden eye by any standard.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I just bought a freesync display and paired it with 1080ti. The end result is magical experience and I'm so happy I want to share this. The smoothness of graphics went to next level. It also doesn't hurt that new display supports 155Hz whereas the old one I used was 60Hz. So far I haven't seen any glitches. Display has just worked great.

I would go as far as saying in many cases it might be better to buy new display instead of upgrading gpu. PC games seem to often have erratic frame rates and vrr makes life so much better,...

I bought dell S2719DGF. It's ~budget solution but still fantastic. It was ~320$ from amazon, shipping via prime included. It's true 8bit panel, no dithering. Has decent reviews overall, not the best though but for my budget it feels perfect so far. No HDR.

Dell S-Series 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Gaming Monitor (); QHD (2560 x 1440) up to 155 Hz; 16:9; 1ms Response time

@Kaotik is this problem just you or do other people with 8bit frc have the same issue ?

What google has to say
In the Advanced Graphics Processor Settings window, select the checkbox for "30 Bit Display", then choose the "OK" button. You will need to also have a workstation class graphics card (AMD Radeon Pro / Nvidia Quadro) in your system, and connect to a 10-bit monitor using a DisplayPort cable connection.

The distinctive feature of the Quadro and Firepro cards is their support for 10 bit per color output buffers, which PS requires. As stated by Nvidia: NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs.

Last edited:
@Kaotik is this problem just you or do other people with 8bit frc have the same issue ?

What google has to say
In the Advanced Graphics Processor Settings window, select the checkbox for "30 Bit Display", then choose the "OK" button. You will need to also have a workstation class graphics card (AMD Radeon Pro / Nvidia Quadro) in your system, and connect to a 10-bit monitor using a DisplayPort cable connection.

The distinctive feature of the Quadro and Firepro cards is their support for 10 bit per color output buffers, which PS requires. As stated by Nvidia: NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs.
I have no clue, needless to say when something finally fixed the photoshop I've stayed far from the 30-bit switch in PS

So Nvidia consumer cards don't support HDR at all in Windows?

Back