Best 4K HDR AVR (Audio Video Receivers) for Consoles [2017-2019]

When picking the set, just make sure that center speaker is good, because it will be used for vast majority of voices. Rear/side pair can be smaller, they will handle only small part of overall sounds.

It depends on the size of your room. I have five KEF LS50’s in my 5.1.4 setup and well, even those relatively small beasts are a bit overkill for the size of my living room, considering I have a nice sub complementing them. They are utterly beautiful and just sublime though. You won’t need anything bigger unless your room is really large.

Last edited:
When picking the set, just make sure that center speaker is good, because it will be used for vast majority of voices. Rear/side pair can be smaller, they will handle only small part of overall sounds.

Not a music fan? The quality of your front stereo pair is critical there.

Not that I've seen. But, depending on your setup, eARC somewhat makes it a moot point. Unless you have a projector or an exceptional amount of video sources, whether video sources go into the TV first with the audio being forwarded on to the receiver or whether they go to the receiver first with the video being forwarded on to the TV doesn't matter much.

I don't know but there may be a delay in picture playback when the signal goes from the AVR to the TV. If the signal goes from the TV to the AVR a delay would be less problematic.

Last edited:
Who sits down to listen to music?

Have to be in the sweet spot of the sound stage and all.

Folks who like to watch dancers along with the music at adult establishments?

There they have an entirely different meaning for "in the sweet spot".

Why? I mean, it's better if you are, but not necessary to benefit from better speakers.

If you're talking about L and R speakers making a difference in music, you are talking about speakers with critical placement requirements.

In any event, there were few pure audiophiles these days. Most people listen to music while surfing or doing something else. Hence those little Alexa speakers are what most people go for.

I listen to music on my 7.1 system all the time via Spotify on my Shield. So I'm never in the sweet spot of the speakers as it's for listening in that general area. The center and LR floor speakers are key for me for music.

If you're talking about L and R speakers making a difference in music, you are talking about speakers with critical placement requirements.

In any event, there were few pure audiophiles these days. Most people listen to music while surfing or doing something else. Hence those little Alexa speakers are what most people go for.

Look at the thread title. Wouldn't it make sense that people participating in it would be concerned with the quality of the sound reproduction they are getting from their media? Maybe there should be a thread about "good enough for most people" sound solutions for people who don't really give a shit.

I don't know but there may be a delay in picture playback when the signal goes from the AVR to the TV. If the signal goes from the TV to the AVR a delay would be less problematic.

Audio and video still need to sync up, so something would get delayed somewhere if the sync diverged.

Look at the thread title. Wouldn't it make sense that people participating in it would be concerned with the quality of the sound reproduction they are getting from their media? Maybe there should be a thread about "good enough for most people" sound solutions for people who don't really give a shit.

Of course, but most people, if they even have a surround sound setup, probably have a home theater in a box that they got at a big box store.

Dedicated audio shops are disappearing now, in the wake of lossy digital audio and e-commerce.

I would guess that the average and median prices people spend for home theater, apart from the TV itself, is around $1000. At that price for AVR and surround sound speakers, they're probably designing towards loud output and bass that people feel, rather than quality reproduction.

The issue is not many folks can fit the best option.

Every choice is a compromise, size is often the first thing to go after cost.

I see nobody referenceing in room correction and such

http://lyngdorf.com/news-what-is-room-correction/

If you want to absolutely positively have to spend every (insert currency) available.

HiFi for the win cheapskates ;)

Edit: for the record I have a 2.1 soundbar, had 5.1 in my last place and tbh this does a pretty good job, sub is actually better even. Use headphones due to having a family mostly now anyhow.

By this time, I just assume every AVR has audyssey built in.

My sisters old Onkyo is giving up the ghost like all the other Onkyo models so it's time for a replacement. My plan is to replace my Denon X3000 with something new, pass the X3000 to the parents, and pass their X2000 to my sister.

Is their a solid range of AVRs handling HDMI 2.1 yet? From a quick glance I see some 2019 models claim to support eARC and Atmos and Virtual Atmos and higher levels of HDCP but no mention of HDMI improvements.

Any suggestions? Other than take the Onkyo out back and shoot it...

My sisters old Onkyo is giving up the ghost like all the other Onkyo models so it's time for a replacement. My plan is to replace my Denon X3000 with something new, pass the X3000 to the parents, and pass their X2000 to my sister.

Is their a solid range of AVRs handling HDMI 2.1 yet? From a quick glance I see some 2019 models claim to support eARC and Atmos and Virtual Atmos and higher levels of HDCP but no mention of HDMI improvements.

Any suggestions? Other than take the Onkyo out back and shoot it...

As of now, the best you can do is 2.1 features, unless you spend a ungodly amount for the flagship Denon which is supposed to allow you to ship it out for a board replacement to upgrade it to 2.1. Not sure it's worth it.

As an aside to anyone who isn't aware, Sound United, the parent company of Denon is buying the Onkyo and Pioneer brands (at least for high-end audio), so the consolidation in this market continues.

Back