Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly 4K movies from iTunes have the highest bitrates among all streaming services.

So it may be a play to sell more movie and tv show rentals and downloads.

That was unexpected.
It's much more now:
https://www.apple.com/airplay/
"Leading TV manufacturers are integrating AirPlay 2 directly into their TVs, so now you can effortlessly share or mirror almost anything from your iOS device or Mac directly to your AirPlay 2–enabled smart TV. You can even play music on the TV and sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home."

Heard an interview with a Vizio exec. They were mostly talking about how they have to monetize after sale so they can keep the hardware prices low.

But they mentioned their top of the line P Series now has double the number of local dimming zones as last year, to 384 zones, which supposedly eliminates blooming.

8K is okay for large displays, but it won't be a target for console games next gen (beyond maybe quirky indies - multiplayer maze etc could be awesome!). 8K TV will be in some homes, but games will be 4K tops upscaled.

8K is okay for large displays, but it won't be a target for console games next gen (beyond maybe quirky indies - multiplayer maze etc could be awesome!). 8K TV will be in some homes, but games will be 4K tops upscaled.
I agree to an extend. I believe that 8k is overkill even for 60 inch displays.
The perceived definition upgrade is so small that it doesn't make up for the required performance that would have gone elsewhere to make a more perceived upgrade.

Literally pointless to push 32 million pixels for each frame out. 4 times more than native 4K. For such a tiny actually perceptible visual upgrade on very large screens, and non existant on anything below 65 inch at common viewing distances. I really hope we won't get into another pointless resolution upgrade rush.

I know it's not native 8k but 6k native temporal injection to 8k should be far more doable for next gen on some AAA titles. I think there is a place for 8k gaming content come next gen if we learn how to compromise.

Last edited:
LG OLED Panel improvements: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...dium=email&utm_campaign=20190108#170a8f34432d

Subpixel changes: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...ogy-advancements-thread-511.html#post57384632

2017 and 2018 launch prices in comparison:

55" LG C7 - $3,499
65" LG C7 - $4,499
55" LG E7 - $4,499
65" LG E7 - $5,999
65” LG W7 - $7,999
77" LG W7 - $19,999

55" LG C8 - $2,499
65" LG C8 - $3,499
77" LG C8 - $8,999 (new model in 2018)
55" LG E8 - $3,499
65" LG E8 - $4,499
65” LG W8 - $6,999
77" LG W8 - $14,999

I think $2,999 is realistic pricing for the 65" C9.

OLEDs are getting cheap. I saw 65'' B8 for ca. $1700.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...n-2-processor-hdmi-2-1-tvs-ces-2019-a-11.html

Panasonic OLED does not have HDMI 2.1 but Dolby Vision and HDR10+:

Last edited:
It's much more now:
https://www.apple.com/airplay/
"Leading TV manufacturers are integrating AirPlay 2 directly into their TVs, so now you can effortlessly share or mirror almost anything from your iOS device or Mac directly to your AirPlay 2–enabled smart TV. You can even play music on the TV and sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home."

So it doesn't look like it's the ability to stream anything from iTunes to the TV directly, it's the ability to stream from media from Apple devices to the TV. A convenient feature for some and old news for folks running modern media centre/HTPC software where this has been mostly standard for 2-3 years.

This makes mores sense.

So it doesn't look like it's the ability to stream anything from iTunes to the TV directly, it's the ability to stream from media from Apple devices to the TV. A convenient feature for some and old news for folks running modern media centre/HTPC software where this has been mostly standard for 2-3 years.

This makes mores sense.

The Samsung deal allows for an actual iTunes app that will Samsung TV owners to playback media they purchase on their iTunes account, though. Airplay support in more devices is still cool, though, for people who have or live with people who have iPhones.

The Samsung deal allows for an actual iTunes app that will Samsung TV owners to playback media they purchase on their iTunes account, though. Airplay support in more devices is still cool, though, for people who have or live with people who have iPhones.

Ah, that is interesting. As somebody who buys a fair amount of media from Apple's ecosystem because I'm heavily inside it, but also because I hate DRM and want the option to make it gone, I know that Apple's video encryption is particularly changeable and I wonder how long before Samsung just can't be arsed updating this and it breaks. I've seen Netflix and BBC iPlayer apps break on friend's 'smart' platforms so my expectations are particualrly low considering Samsung can barely be bothered to keep their Android phones updated. Now into the mix we have the TV manufacturer (Samsung), Google (mostly for the smart platform) and Apple. A recipe for success this is not! :nope:

Ah, that is interesting. As somebody who buys a fair amount of media from Apple's ecosystem because I'm heavily inside it, but also because I hate DRM and want the option to make it gone, I know that Apple's video encryption is particularly changeable and I wonder how long before Samsung just can't be arsed updating this and it breaks. I've seen Netflix and BBC iPlayer apps break on friend's 'smart' platforms so my expectations are particualrly low considering Samsung can barely be bothered to keep their Android phones updated. Now into the mix we have the TV manufacturer (Samsung), Google (mostly for the smart platform) and Apple. A recipe for success this is not! :nope:

Google doesn't do Samsung's smart platform. Samsung uses their own platform (Tizen) for that.

This makes mores sense.

One theory is that when they start streaming all the original TV shows they've been paying to produce, people with iOS devices will want the option to view on a big screen, hence Apple cutting deals with TV makers.

People said that about 1080p, then 4k.

Yet some swear they see a difference from 10 feet away.

People said that about 1080p, then 4k.
I didn't say 8K has no visible benefit. I said games won't target them. There isn't going to be the power to drive 8K displays in the next-gen consoles. In OXB era, 720p was a standard coming in but few games targeted it though it was possible. In XB360 era, 1080p was a standard coming in but few games targeted it. In XB1 era, 4K is a standard coming in and games don't target it except through the introduction of the mid-gen consoles. Next gen, 8K will be a standard coming in. Whether people adopt it en mass or not is yet to be seen, but even if they do and 8K ends up everywhere, the consoles will be outputting 4K graphics just like the previous generations which targeted below-the-latest display res.

Edit: If your point was more about people saying they couldn't see the difference and so these improved resolutions weren't needed, screen sizes have increased thus making the differences more apparent.

chartoftheday_3780_tv_screen_size_n.jpg

So back at a generation's start, saying, "the new super high res looks no different," has more validity because the screen sizes mean the perceptible differences are minimal. By the end of the generation, the screens have doubled in size and the new resolution looks substantially better. Though even then, the science of vision and large screens mean we are definitely hitting limits regards res and screen size unless society goes with wall-sized displays. 4K is good for a 60 degree FOV which is notably more than a cinema screen from anything but the front-most seats. The maximum resolution will be determined by what FOV people want, and if people want their periphery filled up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back