Best 4K HDR AVR (Audio Video Receivers) for Consoles [2017-2019]

I just ordered the Denon 3400H for $498 from Fry's. They are delivering it to my house tomorrow for free, that seems odd...

Edit: Apparently the order did not go through. Unless I want to go for a drive today 20+ miles each way, I may just suck it up and pay $599 or keep waiting. I can't wait too long, I ordered my TV.

Update: Just ordered it from Crutchfield, since there is no tax it was only $40 more and they have a 60 day return policy and price match window.

Last edited:
Now that we have word that 2019 LG Oled will have full HDMI 2.1 support and 48Gbps data, are there any AVRs announced with same functionality?

Now that we have word that 2019 LG Oled will have full HDMI 2.1 support and 48Gbps data, are there any AVRs announced with same functionality?

Not that I've seen. But, depending on your setup, eARC somewhat makes it a moot point. Unless you have a projector or an exceptional amount of video sources, whether video sources go into the TV first with the audio being forwarded on to the receiver or whether they go to the receiver first with the video being forwarded on to the TV doesn't matter much.

Are there even any with VRR or partial HDMI 2.1 support?

Are there even any with VRR or partial HDMI 2.1 support?

As far as I'm aware only eARC and ALLM have made it into any receivers as of now. I know the 2017 & 2018 Denons at least have enabled these features either out of the box or via firmware updates.

Supposedly the SOC that LG develops themselves is what's allowing them to deliver HDMI 2.1, presumably full 48 gbps bandwidth and all features.

Because HDMI org is allowing manufacturers to brand products as 2.1 even with only 18 gbps bandwidth and only some features.

So we will have to see if these LG TVs have multiple 2.1 ports with full 48 gbps bandwidth or it's only one 2.1 input.

If that's the case, then an AVR with multiple 2.1 inputs is more critical. I think Denon has some models for which they promised a physical upgrade path, some kind of a daughterboard or something that you can send in a big heavy AVR in to get upgraed.

I don't think there will be many HDMI 2.1 AVRs in 2019, especially if only LG is making compatible TVs. We'll know more about TV and HDMI SoC support from other manufacturers in a few days on CES.

I am rocking a ten year old Denon 1908, and I'm seriously thinking about upgrading it to a newer [basic 5.1/7.1 ~80-90W per 8ohm channel] one when HDMI 2.1 models start coming out. I want to get rid of my optical audio cables and to finally get native decoding of DTS True HD [my PC has to transcode True HD on BD films to compressed DTS, and that causes a slight audio delay].

Yeah, I'm sitting tight on my Denon AVR-2312 and Full HD until all this is sorted out (next gen consoles). Although the LG OLED55B8 is very cheap at the moment...

Ultimately, if you have a good setup, changing the AVR is a relatively painless thing. The magic is in the speakers. I won’t be changing anything for a long time, then again I only got my Denon X4400 last year.

We will be very well served by current 4K HDR for years to come.

Well my Denon is about 30 pounds.

It didn't cost a lot but I just don't like having to get rid of it.

Didn't expect to upgrade because I wasn't going to chase the latest surround sound formats.

But visuals are important, especially HDR.

It'll be a year or two before I go upgrading my speakers - they're just shitty, cheap things that need replacing, but they do the job - because the lounge really needs replacing before any toys.

But, just so I can have something in mind, what's best: big floor standing speakers, or little satellite ones? A combination of both i.e. are floor standing speakers overkill for the rear channels?

It'll be a year or two before I go upgrading my speakers - they're just shitty, cheap things that need replacing, but they do the job - because the lounge really needs replacing before any toys.

But, just so I can have something in mind, what's best: big floor standing speakers, or little satellite ones? A combination of both i.e. are floor standing speakers overkill for the rear channels?

Customarily, you would ideally do floor standing speakers for front right and left, a dedicated center channel speaker and "bookshelf" speakers for the surround channels. The most important thing is to voice-match those speakers, so as much as possible get speakers from the same line that share as many of the same drivers as possible.

Thanks. And "bookshelf" is the word I was looking for, not bloody "satellite." What a plant pot.

Satellite is used as well, but usually refers to speakers with small drivers and a higher floor on their frequency range. I prefer getting speakers that start rolling off below the point where sound (arguably) loses its directionality, which depending on who you listen to is between 80hz and 100hz.

Back