Anthem [PS4, XO, PC]

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter

In the fine print it's reporting Anthem as Native 4K on Xbox One X.
"Gameplay footage Native 4K available on Xbox One X (Enhanced)

What do you guys think as we approach the finish line?

I could argue about the boring art direction and the whatever comm chatter but.... The gameplay loop (only part that matters) looks boring as shit, which is amazing when there are so many games to copy from. The video shows the group doing nothing interesting until they get to the mission trigger points. hard to say if thats indicative to the entire game but if so thats already a bad sign.

It's the type of game I actively try to avoid these days, always online, lackluster solo campaign, micro transaction, boring repetitive missions and the visuals don't even look that gorgeous any more. Rather go back to Andromeda than this.

My issue with the visuals is how busy they are. High contrast, lots of flashing stuff, particles all over etc. It's like when I saw Destiny 2 and thought it was going to make my eyes bleed.

i could not get into destiny, found it pretty boring, and i hate when they reuse the same parts of one map to make several missions, it's dumb.

Not me. Beyond3D: where it's cool to hate on every game that's not a PS exclusive.

Tommy McClain
That might be going a bit far, but I should remind everyone:
If you critique anything, you should critique it for what it's trying to be, not what it's not.

That might be going a bit far, but I should remind everyone:
If you critique anything, you should critique it for what it's trying to be, not what it's not.
Anthem is trying to be like MMO lite like Destiny or the division right?

Although it seems like it will be geared more towards mmorpg lite. Hmm maybe for those mmorpg lovers anthem is actually good.

I mean, many mmorpg have barebone story, dry dialogue, and uninspired mission / quest.

So anthem is actually a step up

Anthem is trying to be like MMO lite like Destiny or the division right?

Although it seems like it will be geared more towards mmorpg lite. Hmm maybe for those mmorpg lovers anthem is actually good.

I mean, many mmorpg have barebone story, dry dialogue, and uninspired mission / quest.

So anthem is actually a step up
Correct. It's Bioware's attempt on the shooter looter model shared world model.
Some things to expect from Bioware are of course:
a) Story / Decision Tree dialog
b) Combo style attacks

The main storyline occurs in the city in first person view. This is where you build relationships and have dialog sequences. During missions, the radio chatter has no decision trees, so basically they play out with no control over what happens.

This is an older model, but it works, and a great deal of many beloved games in the past did it in this way. ie Star Control, MechWarrior, Battletech, X-Com, etc.

The only thing we've been told is that there will not be romances in this game, at least not to the point of physical intimacy like their other titles.

This game looks closer to Dragon Age Inquisition/ Mass Effect 3 MP than it does Destiny or Division. At least in terms of how the battles are conducted with a lot more focus on aerial combat, and just verticality in general.

I’ll need a really good Jarvis to tell me to walk.
lol

anyway, I think it's worth while to check out the actual storyline that occurs in the game itself.

Gameplay loops can always be broken down to the generic travel and destroy quests. Honestly, they really can be.

The combat itself is likely at a difficulty level of 'ezmode' for the sake of presentation.

Rather go back to Andromeda than this.
This is hyperbolic.

That might be going a bit far

Maybe, but everyone was thinking it, amiright? ;)

Anyway, so far I've also gotten the feeling it's EA attempt at a Destiny & The Division type game. In that it seems like it might succeed. The story seems a bit better than those games, but they set the bar pretty low to begin with. Not sure if it still good enough for me to bite, but I will wait until there are some non-spoiler revuews before I ever consider purchasing it. Too early right now to make any big decisions right now.

Tommy McClain

Correct. It's Bioware's attempt on the shooter looter model shared world model.
Some things to expect from Bioware are of course:
a) Story / Decision Tree dialog
b) Combo style attacks

The main storyline occurs in the city in first person view. This is where you build relationships and have dialog sequences. During missions, the radio chatter has no decision trees, so basically they play out with no control over what happens.

This is an older model, but it works, and a great deal of many beloved games in the past did it in this way. ie Star Control, MechWarrior, Battletech, X-Com, etc.

The only thing we've been told is that there will not be romances in this game, at least not to the point of physical intimacy like their other titles.

This game looks closer to Dragon Age Inquisition/ Mass Effect 3 MP than it does Destiny or Division. At least in terms of how the battles are conducted with a lot more focus on aerial combat, and just verticality in general.

My hope is that they include bioware story decision DNA into the gameplay / quest.

A very tiny amount of destiny story mission / quest have branches and it feels really good. Makes me really feels I'm in control and not just here for a ride.

The best example of branches in a mission is actually MGSV that the NPC / narrator and or mission will change dynamically depending on your action. Despite the final outcome/objective is the same.

Gameplay loops can always be broken down to the generic travel and destroy quests. Honestly, they really can be.

Obviously. Which is why game play variation and engagement design matter so much to something you WILL BE doing hundreds of times over to get anywhere. From what I have seen, the way they have the open world setup is going to be a detriment to the overall longevity of the loop unless the rewards per completion are substantial (I doubt it since things like cosmetics will be grind able without money). That statement isn't to write off the game since I haven't played it but having played a number of these style of games EA haven't showed me anything that sets their game apart from the rest.

Obviously. Which is why game play variation and engagement design matter so much to something you WILL BE doing hundreds of times over to get anywhere. From what I have seen, the way they have the open world setup is going to be a detriment to the overall longevity of the loop unless the rewards per completion are substantial (I doubt it since things like cosmetics will be grind able without money). That statement isn't to write off the game since I haven't played it but having played a number of these style of games EA haven't showed me anything that sets their game apart from the rest.
I get that, it's hard to know the difference between say free roam and missions, and stronghold however. They haven't done a good job showcasing the differences.

As for game play variation, this will probably come down to mob difficulty, forcing players to think critically about combo setups and gear setups. Engagement design will up the AI difficulty, though unlikely to have significantly more AI actors like diablo.

The only detriment I could be seeing is that air traversal could take away from the world experience of being grounded, but that's more in line with PVP complaints and this is a PVE game.

Back