Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This coupled with the PLAY5TATION thing and Shaun Laydens 'see you in the new year' (and of course the Xbox 'leaks') have rekindled the late 2019/ early 2020 team back into full voice.

No smoke without fire as it were ;)

~Two years for the next gen systems.

Never going to happen. The only chance of a late 2020 PS5 (with all the rumours etc) is due to some big delay...I'm firmly in the above camp :)

I still feel late 2019 hardware is going to be more or less same price and power as 2020 hardware so it comes down to the software for me. I believe a last of us 2 and others running native 4k 60 fps on PS5 is a viable strategy for late 2019 launch.

I still feel late 2019 hardware is going to be more or less same price and power as 2020 hardware so it comes down to the software for me. I believe a last of us 2 and others running native 4k 60 fps on PS5 is a viable strategy for late 2019 launch.

Yep, I think if anything is pushing this to Q1 2020 it's software being ready. I really do think there's a possibility that early next year Sony might just cause an internet meltdown.

Price announcement?

Would the launch price be that high it will be a sony meltdown :p
For us playstation is important but i dont think its like the whole world is going crazy over a ps5. Presisent elections etc perhaps generate more hits.
Unless half life 3 will be an exclusive launch title to it :)

I would assume it's because everyone has pretty much consigned themselves to a 2020 next-gen launch. An announcement early next year about a launch later that year would generate a fair amount of Internet buzz. Not presidential election levels of buzz, sure, but that's quite a high bar.

I would assume it's because everyone has pretty much consigned themselves to a 2020 next-gen launch. An announcement early next year about a launch later that year would generate a fair amount of Internet buzz. Not presidential election levels of buzz, sure, but that's quite a high bar.

Yes, this is what I meant...it would catch a lot of people off guard

Yes, this is what I meant...it would catch a lot of people off guard

Gamers and childeren that want a new Play station, 'meltdown' is part of the hype in that case.
I wouldnt be cought of guard for a late 2019 or early 2020 release, seeing the time frame. Not many want another two years of 30fps and fake/checkerboard 4k.
PS5 not giving native 4k/60fps, RT and upgraded graphics will catch me off guard though.

Rumor goes that halo infinite will have 4 player splitscreen, and that its created with the pc in mind (slipspace engine), pc being threated as a first class platform. That could explain the RT elements in the E3 demos helmet?

Gamers and childeren that want a new Play station, 'meltdown' is part of the hype in that case.
I wouldnt be cought of guard for a late 2019 or early 2020 release, seeing the time frame. Not many want another two years of 30fps and fake/checkerboard 4k.
PS5 not giving native 4k/60fps, RT and upgraded graphics will catch me off guard though.

The general consensus is 2020, if (like in 2013) Sony have a PS meeting and reveal PS5 is due out by the end of the year I can assure you it will catch a lot of people off guard. The interweb will melt, riots will start...it will be like the end of the world!

The 2019 believers have been laughed at for a long, long time...:yep2:

It's impossible for anyone to be caught off guard with a 2019 or 2020 launch. We've been talking about those 2 years since 2013.

It's impossible for anyone to be caught off guard with a 2019 or 2020 launch. We've been talking about those 2 years since 2013.

Impossible? Maybe, but the majority of expectation is on 2020 - especially after the Sony E3 announcement, that seems to have cemented peoples idea (for some reason).

There's been no serious leaks like with PS4, by now we'd had some meaty details - yet here we have nothing. If there is a 2019 launch then Sony have been super stealthy.

FWIW I'm on the 2019 side of the fence...I think if it's delayed it'll be early 2020. Over on other forums even the merest suggestion of such results is ridicule! lol

Impossible? Maybe, but the majority of expectation is on 2020 - especially after the Sony E3 announcement, that seems to have cemented peoples idea (for some reason).

There's been no serious leaks like with PS4, by now we'd had some meaty details - yet here we have nothing. If there is a 2019 launch then Sony have been super stealthy.

FWIW I'm on the 2019 side of the fence...I think if it's delayed it'll be early 2020. Over on other forums even the merest suggestion of such results is ridicule! lol
It just seems that without E3 there’s a big loss of hype. It doesn’t need to be announced at E3, it just needed it’s presence there. And going on 2018 no psx. And no E3, but planning to launch in 2019 but letting their main competition have full stage ownership seems, off to say the least, the priorities need work. These launches only happen once a generation I can’t see someone thinking it’s yotally justifiable to skip E3 to save a million or so dollars when it could have large impacts down the line.

The risk reward doesn’t make any sense.
So you saved a million dollars or so, but now MS gets all of E3 to talk up their 2020 plans, and ensure their message is not cluttered by anything. All those 3P games looking for a big stage will have less options making the MS stage more likely.

I’d just ask why such a marketing plan would be green lighted. What’s to gain when there is so much to lose.

MS will probably spend as much time talking about next gen as they did Scorpio the year before release. They need people to still keep buying into their ecosystem in 2019.
I'm unsure if you think they talked about it a lot or little?

If MS believe ps5 is 2020, it might be best for MS to not talk about next gen Scarlett at all. Don't want people holding out until 2020.
They need to push AAA graphically impressive games on the stage, then during the week on their daily show, do the indie and AA stuff.
If they can blow people away even if it means a shorter being a less diluted show, that would set them up for the year and going into next gen.

I'm unsure if you think they talked about it a lot or little?

If MS believe ps5 is 2020, it might be best for MS to not talk about next gen Scarlett at all. Don't want people holding out until 2020.
They need to push AAA graphically impressive games on the stage, then during the week on their daily show, do the indie and AA stuff.
If they can blow people away even if it means a shorter being a less diluted show, that would set them up for the year and going into next gen.
Just more setting expectations than anything concrete. Right, so I think the messaging surrounding BC will be prominent, but they still need people buying their current gen stuff for another 18 months, so they'll need a strong current-gen showing, possibly coupled with potential price drops to target the late-comers anyway.

MS will probably spend as much time talking about next gen as they did Scorpio the year before release. They need people to still keep buying into their ecosystem in 2019.

I expect a spec drop at E3, especially if they feel really confident about being higher end than PS5 and the fact that they can be the story of E3 with Sony not participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back