Rumor: XBox dual SKU next-gen launch

New leak about Anaconda and Lockhart from WindowsCentral.
https://www.windowscentral.com/what-does-next-gen-look-xbox-here-are-latest-rumors
According to our sources, there are two consoles currently being prepped, aiming for a 2020 holiday debut — a cheaper "S"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One S, and a more beastly "X"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One X. The codename for the "S 2" seems to be "Lockhart," and the codename for the "X 2" seems to be "Anaconda," which may also be serving as a dev kit.

The next-gen Lockhart console will be the affordable SKU, providing the next-gen Xbox experience in a package potentially around as powerful as the current Xbox One X hardware wise, with refinements under the hood. The Anaconda console will be more powerful and more expensive, providing a cutting-edge console gaming experience. We've also heard Microsoft is exploring technology to dramatically reduce loading times, potentially including SSD storage in the package.
If this is anywhere close to reality then it's a complete bust for MS. Why hamstrung your nextgen with a 6tf base console when you could potentially have a 12tf console as a base? Multiplat titles are gonna suffer a lot because of this, PS5's exclusives would blitz all hell and heaven pass MS' exclusive in graphics at least. Unless Sony also go brain dead by sticking to a WAY underpowered base console.
Please let nextgen base line be at least 10tf+ for the good of humanity. I don't even mind the multiple SKU launch as long as the base console is next gen enough, then have your X or Pro set at $599 for 15tf of terror.
Edit, beaten silly by anexanhume

If the "S2" console only targets 1080p, that's ok.

S2: 8 core Zen2 + ~6-8 TF Navi GPU for 1080p rendering targets.
X2: 8 core Zen2 + ~12-16 TF GPU for 4K.

Even if PS5 ships with only on SKU in the X2 spec range, it will target 4K so I don't think it will have any advantages over X2.

More so than the GPU, I think both consoles need to deliver the highest end CPU they can squeeze in. The GPU can be further enhanced with future releases.

If the "S2" console only targets 1080p, that's ok.

S2: 8 core Zen2 + ~6-8 TF Navi GPU for 1080p rendering targets.
X2: 8 core Zen2 + ~12-16 TF GPU for 4K.

Even if PS5 ships with only on SKU in the X2 spec range, it will target 4K so I don't think it will have any advantages over X2.

More so than the GPU, I think both consoles need to deliver the highest end CPU they can squeeze in. The GPU can be further enhanced with future releases.
When the midgen is already promising "true 4k" and all? Yeah..nah I don't think so. The kind of PR would be disastrous if next gen S2 is going backwards like that.
The advantage PS5 would have over X2 is really in the exclusives and that's assuming it's a bit less powerful, if they're within 10% difference or perhaps dead even in speccs then it's well and truly over for X2, unless X2 charges less but is that likely at all?
I do agree in the CPU, its significance can't be overlooked this time.

I think it’s a big winner if the S version comes in around $299.

I would expect MS to actually use the salvaged X2 parts and to further reduce costs all around. Having a market to sell cutdown SoCs may allow MS to actually push the high end SoC much further in terms of area and performance.

Unless Sony also go brain dead by sticking to a WAY underpowered base console.

For the majority of people specs dont matter, they buy it cause its a ps5. Sony isnt braindead by not chasing TF list specs.

Perhaps the future isnt just a bunch of power or dream specs.

I think it’s a big winner if the S version comes in around $299.

I would expect MS to actually use the salvaged X2 parts and to further reduce costs all around. Having a market to sell cutdown SoCs may allow MS to actually push the high end SoC much further in terms of area and performance.

You could be pretty aggressive on your design if you only needed 1/3 of your parts to yield to your top spec. However, the cost per chip would be much higher than if you had a separate reticle(s) for X2S parts only.

New leak about Anaconda and Lockhart from WindowsCentral.
https://www.windowscentral.com/what-does-next-gen-look-xbox-here-are-latest-rumors

If this is anywhere close to reality then it's a complete bust for MS. Why hamstrung your nextgen with a 6tf base console when you could potentially have a 12tf console as a base? Multiplat titles are gonna suffer a lot because of this, PS5's exclusives would blitz all hell and heaven pass MS' exclusive in graphics at least. Unless Sony also go brain dead by sticking to a WAY underpowered base console.
Please let nextgen base line be at least 10tf+ for the good of humanity. I don't even mind the multiple SKU launch as long as the base console is next gen enough, then have your X or Pro set at $599 for 15tf of terror.
Edit, beaten silly by anexanhume
This actually lands pretty close to what I was expecting at a proper price point of $399. ~7.5 TF of power with Ray Tracing, new processor, new architecture, memory stuff and other features/customizations. $399. Done. This performance points works at 1080p with RT, but it won't work well at 4K? Not sure where ML AI Res performance is yet, so that's hard to estimate.

Which gets us to a stronger model, which if they release at the same time with double the power, it will come in significantly costlier, but it will be able to push the ~FauK RT with AI Up Res.

Price is the biggest factor here and features are more important than power for the base system. A well built console with these features I suspect will be more dominant in the graphics department than a competing 10TF system without RT.

If you double the CPU power with zen cores, raise the GPU to 7.5TF, and add RT blocks... It's not exactly fitting his statement of hardware power equivalent to the xb1x.

Hopefully he was only talking about the gpu.

For the majority of people specs dont matter, they buy it cause its a ps5. Sony isnt braindead by not chasing TF list specs.

Perhaps the future isnt just a bunch of power or dream specs.
It's not even about wining the specs war, it comes to a point when your base model just isn't powerful enough and can't push enough pixels to show the next gen effects or 4k assets on a 4k tv which will be what the mainstream using comes 2020. Come on guys by the end of 2020 no one and their grandma would want anything to do with a 1080p set :).
This actually lands pretty close to what I was expecting at a proper price point of $399. ~7.5 TF of power with Ray Tracing, new processor, new architecture, memory stuff and other features/customizations. $399. Done. This performance points works at 1080p with RT, but it won't work well at 4K? Not sure where ML AI Res performance is yet, so that's hard to estimate.

Which gets us to a stronger model, which if they release at the same time with double the power, it will come in significantly costlier, but it will be able to push the ~FauK RT with AI Up Res.

Price is the biggest factor here and features are more important than power for the base system. A well built console with these features I suspect will be more dominant in the graphics department than a competing 10TF system without RT.
I'm sure devs could implement a RT mode at the sacrifice of res or fps etc, it shouldn't come in the way of other things. But man there's a world of difference of designing a game with 6-7tf of power vs 12tf, one system would have enough juice to make a world twice as big for example. Yet the more powerful SKU X2 could only up res the smaller world in 4k, higher textures and af.
Price is indeed a big factor, I wonder how much a 15tf X2 would cost, $599 sounds likely.

With a 2 SKU approach & streaming you could make your high end SKU the standard experience & stream that same experience & performance for the low end SKU or render at a lower resolution natively. The 6TF would be necessary to play 1X titles natively in compatibility mode. I might consider that for a $200 cheaper entry point. Then upgrade later when I could afford it.

Tommy McClain

If you double the CPU power with zen cores, raise the GPU to 7.5TF, and add RT blocks... It's not exactly fitting his statement of hardware power equivalent to the xb1x.

Hopefully he was only talking about the gpu.
Indeed. Common sense test would be, why not just use Scorpio? Why bother re-releasing the same SKU.

Scorpio to 7nm would probably be a clockspeed increase. RT and ML blocks would fill in the rest to get to 360mm^3 unless they will be satisfied with a 240mm^2 chip.

It's not even about wining the specs war, it comes to a point when your base model just isn't powerful enough and can't push enough pixels to show the next gen effects or 4k assets on a 4k tv which will be what the mainstream using comes 2020. Come on guys by the end of 2020 no one and their grandma would want anything to do with a 1080p set :).

I'm sure devs could implement a RT mode at the sacrifice of res or fps etc, it shouldn't come in the way of other things. But man there's a world of difference of designing a game with 6-7tf of power vs 12tf, one system would have enough juice to make a world twice as big for example. Yet the more powerful SKU X2 could only up res the smaller world in 4k, higher textures and af.
Price is indeed a big factor, I wonder how much a 15tf X2 would cost, $599 sounds likely.
This sounds more inline discussion about CPU and Memory size vs GPU flops. If you want a larger world your memory would be the defining feature. More AI and interactions defined by the CPU.

Back