The Discord store for PC [2018-12]

Nice entry into the Race to the Bottom!

So, this didnt just open, but has been open for a few months now. What just happened is their announcement to only take 10% and give 90% to the developers.

Company Blog Post: https://blog.discordapp.com/why-not-90-10-3761ebef4eab

So, starting in 2019, we are going to extend access to the Discord store and our extremely efficient game patcher by releasing a self-serve game publishing platform. No matter what size, from AAA to single person teams, developers will be able to self publish on the Discord store with 90% revenue share going to the developer. The remaining 10% covers our operating costs, and we’ll explore lowering it by optimizing our tech and making things more efficient.

This is even better than I initially thought. They will have databases to store my password and cc information to help me further my goal of proliferating my important personal information to as many internet exposed services as possible.

Soon we'll have a Walmart games store for 5/95 split! Race to the bottom indeed. Capitalism at it's finest.

We've been extremely lucky for a long time on PC with Valve being the only game in town.

No. Being on the Steam launcher is wrong too. Everyone should mean as long as the games can be launched directly, without having to use the store-specific launcher.

No. Being on the Steam launcher is wrong too. Everyone should mean as long as the games can be launched directly, without having to use the store-specific launcher.
Well that's not gonna happen so having them all on the same launcher is the next best thing.

Well that's not gonna happen so having them all on the same launcher is the next best thing.

Maybe someone can create a launcher that unifies all other launchers? Like is there a way to send commands to the different launchers to launch a specific game?

Maybe someone can create a launcher that unifies all other launchers? Like is there a way to send commands to the different launchers to launch a specific game?
I believe you can call steam games via command line.

One launcher to rule them all?

If there is no way around this DRM hell, then I guess it's a good time for the main OSes such as Windows, OSX, Android to create their own Uber launcher and a protocol/API to be used by these custom stores. Seems like the kind of thing MS would like to do on PC space, and make things even messier and more broken with it, and the kind of thing Apple would fight tooth and nails to avoid have happen because they don't just like a walled garden, they like their garden inside a bubble wrapped glass dome with an electrified barbed wire fence all around. It's a very stilish fence though, and it's inhabitants will have you believe it's better that way, they like the safety, but still...

If there is no way around this DRM hell, then I guess it's a good time for the main OSes such as Windows, OSX, Android to create their own Uber launcher and a protocol/API to be used by these custom stores. Seems like the kind of thing MS would like to do on PC space, and make things even messier and more broken with it, and the kind of thing Apple would fight tooth and nails to avoid have happen because they don't just like a walled garden, they like their garden inside a bubble wrapped glass dome with an electrified barbed wire fence all around. It's a very stilish fence though, and it's inhabitants will have you believe it's better that way, they like the safety, but still...

I don't think Microsoft can attempt such a thing yet. If they did you'd hear people on the internet screaming to the high heavens that the devil Microsoft was attempting to take over some other thing. Or invading their game launcher privacy or some other incredibly silly thing.

However, it would be great if they did something like that. Kind of like DirectX but for launchers. DirectLauncher? :p And allow any store to just plug into it for free as it would just be an API.

And it would be in their best interest to do it. As the increasing fragmentation in where and how to buy your games is slowly driving some people away from PC gaming and PC's in general (if PC was primarily for gaming).

Regards,
SB

The thing about launchers is they don't just launch the game, they do DRM checks, handle BG downloads and updating, among other things. It is not exclusive to games either, professional software suits also use their custom launchers. Adobe is one. This problem is broader than gaming alone, and the current industry standard solution is very inelegant.
Of course the ideal solution would be trusting the paying consumer and doing away with draconian DRM safety systems while begrudgingly accepting piracy will exist, much like the exemplary GOG does, in that case the start menu would be enough, sure. But if we can't have that, and I think there's no chance whatsoever of us ever getting that, a standardized DRM check / updater system is due.

I like all my stuff to be in one place. Nothing wrong with more stores so long as the games are still on Steam but the trend is for publishers to only sell their games on their own stores. This suck.
Do you like it enough to pay an extra ~25% for each game (as the making has to raise their prices ~25% to counterbalance the 30% from steam's cut)?
Genuine question, is paying an extra 25% worth the convenience of all your games being in one place to you?

Do you like it enough to pay an extra ~25% for each game (as the making has to raise their prices ~25% to counterbalance the 30% from steam's cut)?
Genuine question, is paying an extra 25% worth the convenience of all your games being in one place to you?
Dunno how much cheaper games would be if Steam took ~10% instead of 30 but I don't think it would be 25%.

Back