Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Just (barely) beat my first Expert song on Beat Saber, Rum n Bass, which apparently is a PSVR exclusive (but PC has custom songs, so it's unbeatable there).

Still, very satisfying, and I really like this song, has a cool Latin rhythm ... And I was sweating buckets.

I've mentioned this story before, but there was a SW game on PS1 that after getting good at, definitely improved my badminton skills at the time. Training of reflexes and fast decision making is still training, whatever form it takes.

Is there any EyeToy like collection for VR? ET was very physical and possibly the earliest form of fitness gaming. VR would take it up a notch if comfortable enough, but I guess there's genuine concerns about moving around too much, crashing into furniture etc. Probably needs inside-out tracking to be safe.

I've mentioned this story before, but there was a SW game on PS1 that after getting good at, definitely improved my badminton skills at the time. Training of reflexes and fast decision making is still training, whatever form it takes.

Is there any EyeToy like collection for VR? ET was very physical and possibly the earliest form of fitness gaming. VR would take it up a notch if comfortable enough, but I guess there's genuine concerns about moving around too much, crashing into furniture etc. Probably needs inside-out tracking to be safe.

I'm not aware of any bundles, but there are plenty of stand alone, high speed, skill based based games that play like tennis or squash such as Sparc.
And then there are games like Sprint Vector or Superhot which, although they aren't sports based, really get the heart going and train your reflexes..

I'm not sure inside out tracking is going to make playing active games any safer. Unless you can run the system it in a large empty room with a door you can lock, you're still going to have cats, dogs, children and whatever else appearing behind you at the worst possible times.

Inside out tracking can show obstacles in game. You didn't need a large expanse for EyeToy, but being able to see you surroundings meant you could avoid drifting towards furniture.

Inside out tracking can show obstacles in game. You didn't need a large expanse for EyeToy, but being able to see you surroundings meant you could avoid drifting towards furniture.

With EyeToy you weren't wearing a helmet, so you could see where the furniture was anyway, but I get you're point. It was also nice being able to see the reactions of people standing behind you.

The problem with VR is that whilst you're in the middle of a fast, active game, you've got to somehow report to the player that an object has suddenly appeared in a direction they're not looking in.
Even if the room is empty of cats/dogs/children and all the furniture positions have been accurately recorded, how do you tell the player that they are getting close to the chair that's behind them? It's a tricky interface problem.

Not really for me with the PSVR though. The headset is hovering above my face enough for that to be a non-issue, and I’ve been dripping with sweat from Beat Saber.

As far as hitting things, it’s more of a space issue than anything else with Beat Saber. Now I have enough space I hardly hit anything, whereas when I had less space I would frequently hit stuff with the Move controllers on PS3 games, with no VR helmet on.

But the games make a big difference - super hot doesn’t really limit you at all in that respect so I am more likely to try and grab a gun that is on the floor and then a couch getting in the way.

With EyeToy you weren't wearing a helmet, so you could see where the furniture was anyway, but I get you're point. It was also nice being able to see the reactions of people standing behind you.

The problem with VR is that whilst you're in the middle of a fast, active game, you've got to somehow report to the player that an object has suddenly appeared in a direction they're not looking in.
Even if the room is empty of cats/dogs/children and all the furniture positions have been accurately recorded, how do you tell the player that they are getting close to the chair that's behind them? It's a tricky interface problem.

Does PSVR not have a guardian system like either Vive or Rift? Where you mark out the play area and then the system notifies you when you are at or near the edges of the "play" area.

Regards,
SB

Does PSVR not have a guardian system like either Vive or Rift? Where you mark out the play area and then the system notifies you when you are at or near the edges of the "play" area.

Regards,
SB

There's no need for guardian system in seated VR, as pointed out even by SteamVR's own setup procedure.

Regards,
SB
Most games are played sat down, but for those where you stand there are some play area settings. It's down to the developer.
If you want stable tracking of the move controllers then you have to stand fairly close to the camera anyway, which limits your movement to about one step in any direction.

There's no need for guardian system in seated VR, as pointed out even by SteamVR's own setup procedure.

Which is fine if all the games are seated only. Are there no standing VR games for PSVR then?

I know Beat Saber is better standing than sitting. While there isn't much movement, it's still reassuring to have the guardian system on the Rift. It's prevented me from accidentally whacking a lamp at my friend's house a few times.

Regards,
SB

The PSVR has an outside of play area message whenever tracking is lost and therefore constraint is basically the view of the camera. Which is much narrower than for the other systems.

Which is fine if all the games are seated only. Are there no standing VR games for PSVR then?
I know Beat Saber is better standing than sitting.

You can stand and in some games you should, more so in PS Move games where you're supposed to move your arms around.
But you're not supposed to move horizontally, which is what "Sitting VR" means in practical terms.

I currently own both a WMR headset (Lenovo Explorer) and a PSVR, and at least I won't be using "Walking VR" with wired headsets. The hazard probability is just too big.
I just don't see the appeal in tripping in headset wires... making PSVR's "limitation" a non-issue, to be honest.

Beat Saber does have a custom ‘you’re too close’ graphical feedback by the way.

Got a few songs passed on extreme now btw. My son is also very into this game.

I also played some more AstroBot again yesterday, really lovely game. When I came out of that game yesterday for the first time I had a short while where all dimensions felt off and I felt like I was much bigger than normal. Really weird experience!

star-wars-gif.gif

Back