What are your must-have non-technical or features for next-gen?

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
What non-technical features (no hardware specs, just user-facing features of the devices and their software/services) do you consider most-important for the next-gen consoles?

Last edited:
A UI that wraps around -_-
A Storefront that isn't shit.
separate dedicated DVR/screenshot buttons

ffs :p

Xbox needs to fix the Upload to OneDrive file naming because if your upload speed is too fast, the system just overwrites files when it accidentally uploads several files under one second.

Last edited:
A UI that wraps around -_-
A Storefront that isn't shit.
separate dedicated DVR/screenshot buttons
image quality settings for screenshots

ffs

Is there anyone you can think of that does a particularly good job with this? Most of the ones I've used suck in one way or another.

Is there anyone you can think of that does a particularly good job with this? Most of the ones I've used suck in one way or another.
I'm not too sure really. Steam is decent enough, but I have issues with the general hierarchy and sorting of pages in Win/XboxStore and what information is actually best upfront vs having to scrolldown like a game of russian roulette.

I don't mind Origin's layout in some ways. IIRC, they use tabs within a game page that are a way to not have to scroll down to the other side of the planet and not go through page after page. I don't have it installed at work, so I can't go through it at the moment.

I'd love to sit down with the Store UI folks and explain things that Steam/Origin/Uplay/GOG etc. do that are good for presenting information succinctly for maximum bang without needing a UI clearly designed for waving your arms around like a lunatic to flip-off Kinect, but I don't get paid to show them good UI aesthetic & etiquette. :p

Seriously, why isn't there a page up/down using the triggers? Oh wait, I guess that's because INFINITE PAGE SCROLLING and loading. So I guess they can just use the right stick.

Let's go back to some RPGs from the Xbox-era that dealt with lists/pages. If only there were some novel way of using the given buttons to go up/down like you use the bumpers to go left/right,which don't even wrap around from far left to far right on the Xbox UI, but I guess they're just trying to force me to load Mixer/Community even though I give zero _____ about those.

Why is the deals page buried or given a tiny ass button which has some dubious set of button presses to get to (sidenote: Forza Horizon 4, your UI is similarly garbage for this ambiguity of menu button placements - left, right, up, down, I don't know if I'm going to select the item I want)

Why isn't movies/tv separate from the games store. Why can't the filters be checkboxed. I mean, let's have a look at online store searches on the intarwebbles. Novel.

o_O

/AlBranting :p

Last edited:
I'm sure that many would not want yet another 'reset' for features from this generation. (going from last gen to this gen)
They have to launch with the same software features they have today (both consoles) as a bare minimum. And for xbox, yea the accessories better carry over as they initially stated they would. I bought a steering wheel under the assumption that this wheel is going to take me all the way through next gen as well.

But for new features, I can't think of any must haves on MS side. I mean every OS update contains a new feature like different levels of audio support, DV support, frame rate support. Most i can think of are Al's complaints, which don't bother me that much, but better is better.

If CPU is as powerful as they say, bring back "Snap" in some form of incarnation. I'm not saying snap to side of screen, but let us snap to a separate screen entirely.
This generation on Xbox launched with so much push onto having the game waterfall onto the xbox application. That vision wasn't well realized and then entirely dropped. And now I'd like to see it come together properly for those that want to support it properly. So.. snapping to a tablet for instance. TV to a tablet. For those games that have maps and shit, and other stuff, yea, Id like to see that stuff on a second screen. It would make for multi screen setups to be much more enjoyable.

I want a media center.

PS4/Xbox are shit on that side (PS4 much more than Xbox).
I want more apps, more media sharing and output support.

I want a UI that works well and is fast.

I want an OS that is using a minimal amount of resources.

I want to use my console to stream games on any device anywhere if my connections allows it.

I want pad without stupid lights but with a microphone included.

I'm in for BC, I'm on the UI train with AlBran, and MrFox is right that game demos should make a comeback.

Add to this the ability to transfer digital licenses, even if there is a transaction fee involved.

Mandatory keyboard support for at least text field entries (like the name of your Character, for example). This means in addition to the normal console way of using a controller and on screen keypad.

I know I don't game on console much outside of the Switch anymore, but I still get games on PC that are obvious console ports that expect you to enter in names in text fields using a controller or arrow keys + enter key (emulating a controller). ARGH!

Use your keyboard support in your OS to allow users to enter that crap with a keyboard, even if you don't allow keyboard controls in the game proper. By the next generation both Sony and MS should be supporting keyboards at a basic level at least in the OS, so make it happen, dagnabbit.

Regards,
SB

Mandatory keyboard support for at least text field entries (like the name of your Character, for example). This means in addition to the normal console way of using a controller and on screen keypad.

Not a hundred percent sure but I think you can use your phone to type on PlayStation.

Based on PS4;
Support for Audio CD and UHD
Unlimited cloud storage for game saves - and it be free like MS

Based on Xbox;
A UI that isn't a laggy PoS and I can actually understand - I mean, WTH...I can't find anything!?
Drivers pre-installed - like when I tried to play a bluray and it was a PITB - WTH is that about
Free online for F2P games

Both;
Ability to store at least one other game in a pause state - it's a pain that if I start a game I must close the other game (if one of my kids is half-way through something can I close it without having a stroppy teen for a week?)
Better store interfaces - but I can't think of a great example, most are rubbish
All digitally available games have a free time limited trial - even 10 mins would be nice

Based on Xbox;
A UI that isn't a laggy PoS and I can actually understand - I mean, WTH...I can't find anything!?
Drivers pre-installed - like when I tried to play a bluray and it was a PITB - WTH is that about
Free online for F2P games

They're dodging paying the licensing fee for people who won't use the BluRay playback feature. Until you download the app and the system is capable of playing BluRays MS aren't obligated to pay. The OG Xbox was even worse in that it required you to purchase the IR receiver/remote to play DVDs for the same reason. The hardware purchase subsidized the cost of the DVD playback license for the device.

I'm only an Xbox owner, so this would be my wishlist for Xbox Next. My current requirements is all the features we have now(no resetting back to square one), support for current controllers, free trials of every game like Live Arcade on the 360 & the other features they took away like Snap apps like Skype, Netflix, TV & Skype, more comprehensible voice control & the original family digital sharing feature. Nice to have features would be game/video streaming to other devices in the house other than a Windows 10 PC.

Tommy McClain

Btw I was just checking some PS3 and PS2 Games on PS Store and oh my what a missed opportunity. There were a few classic Sega games I wanted to buy and realised that the only way to play them are on a PS3 and I just wish everything was compatible with PS4. Since the PS3 is becoming an out of fashion console all these PS3, PS2 and PS1 games are just taking space with fewer and fewer people interested in buying them.
MS move to make XB OG, and 360 games compatible with One and with enhancements was a smart move. They can still sell these old games.

The ability to not spin the optical disk at a trillion rotations per minute whenever the console is turned on, even though the game is already fully installed in the hard drive.

I can only guess this is mighty hard to achieve and they'll need billions to develop such a technology. Because it's been a complaint for 12 years now and it's still a thing.

The ability to not spin the optical disk at a trillion rotations per minute whenever the console is turned on, even though the game is already fully installed in the hard drive.

I can only guess this is mighty hard to achieve and they'll need billions to develop such a technology. Because it's been a complaint for 12 years now and it's still a thing.

Going pure digital solves that. Just sayin'.

Back