PlayStation classic 99 dollars (3rd December 2018)

Because they dont want to resell you the same game three times over, so they focus on their backwards compatibility?

Because the Xbox Classic nostalgia market is vanishingly small, and there's no cost effective hardware available that could run the games, clearly. Sony couldn't even find an ARM chip fast enough to emulate PS1 games reliably in the sub $100 price envelope.

it seems that Sony recycled the PS Vita hardware to create the PS Classic Mini.

PS Vita.

https://www.geek.com/games/ps-vita-specs-list-arrives-makes-hardware-fanboys-happy-1414563/
The heart of the system is an ARM-developed Cortex A9 chip with four cores and a PowerVR SGX GPU. The screen, as was seen at E3, is a 5-inch OLED capacitive touch-screen capable of multi-touch and a resolution of 960 x 544.

The system will include 512MB of RAM and an additional 128MB of discrete VRAM. There will be front and rear cameras capable of 60fps at VGA resolution (640 x 480).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown
uses a quad-core ARM Cortex A35 running at 1.5GHz paired with an integrated PowerVR GE8300 GPU. This is entry-level stuff by today's standards but should offer more than enough horsepower to deliver full-speed PS1 emulation.

A closer look at the board reveals that the MediaTek SOC is paired with 1GB of DDR3 memory

If the Wii could emulate N64 games, hell, the GameCube could, how hard can it be to run PS1 emulation? I would have thought any lowend tablet soc was more than capable at this point.

If the Wii could emulate N64 games, hell, the GameCube could, how hard can it be to run PS1 emulation? I would have thought any lowend tablet soc was more than capable at this point.
But of course. My Xperia Play was playing PS games almost perfect if not perfect and the weaker PSP if I recall was also playing PS1 games perfect.
The final product doesn't make sense. 50Hz games on modern screens make zero sense. It is bound to have problems. To make things worse why have a mix of PAL and NTSC games in territories that experienced the games the way they were meant to be played in the 90s? PAL games running slower or with borders were a major inconvenience in Europe. But the NTSC games have performance issues too. The issues are so evident that the product looks like a result of irresponsibility. Also in terms of game collection.

Was there any sensible reason for why they mixed NTSC and PAL titles?

They could have at least provided a good product without too much fuss. That way they can also build a good consistent reputation on the Playstation legacy.
Leaving a bitter taste on Playstation One nostalgia which is the foundation of the brand's success for quick cash, is bad business from a marketing perspective.

I still think people are missing what/who these are for. There's loads of way to emulate the best versions of games for 'free' - this is more about getting a cute machine out that people might play for a bit then retire, they had their nostalgia trip and are satisfied.

What would be great is if hackers can get an external drive added so you can play the whole catalogue! But even then I know this is for display along with my mini SNES which got an hours use before being switched off.

I still think people are missing what/who these are for. There's loads of way to emulate the best versions of games for 'free' - this is more about getting a cute machine out that people might play for a bit then retire, they had their nostalgia trip and are satisfied.

What would be great is if hackers can get an external drive added so you can play the whole catalogue! But even then I know this is for display along with my mini SNES which got an hours use before being switched off.
I am not fully agreeable with the notion that people feed their nostalgia with the simple idea of "cuteness". Part of the satisfaction is that this is an official genuine PS original experience miniaturised, not a product that half represents it.
Regardless how much it will be played, the buyer expects that short play to be how it was intended. It's worth as a €99 collector's item when it fully realises what it promises to be.

it seems that Sony recycled the PS Vita hardware to create the PS Classic Mini.
Not even close. The only things similar is the use of an ARM family CPU and PowerVR designed GPU. Recycling Vita HW would mean using the same hardware, not similar hardware (or even vaguely related hardware).

I am not fully agreeable with the notion that people feed their nostalgia with the simple idea of "cuteness". Part of the satisfaction is that this is an official genuine PS original experience miniaturised, not a product that half represents it.
Regardless how much it will be played, the buyer expects that short play to be how it was intended. It's worth as a €99 collector's item when it fully realises what it promises to be.

You do realise a lot of these won't even be taken out of the box! lol

Anyway, I agree it could have been done better...but I'm not cancelling my pre-order.

If they had put real effort into this, they'd have all regional versions of each title, with the one from the region the console was bought from as the default, and the other variants burried under some menu.

How does the NES classic deal with regions?

If they had put real effort into this, they'd have all regional versions of each title, with the one from the region the console was bought from as the default, and the other variants burried under some menu.

They are all US 60Hz versions for US/Euro models, and Japanese 60Hz for the Japan models.

They are all US 60Hz versions for US/Euro models, and Japanese 60Hz for the Japan models.
Interesting choice. I wonder if there are many Europeans who felt the games were suddenly speedier than they remembered, and if that was maybe a disappointment to somebody. I mean, out of the two dozen Europeans who owned home consoles instead of computers during the 80's and early 90's.

They would have to ~double the storage increasing base cost.

Back