Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Source
“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

Last edited:
How will we ever get our fill of banjos and lesbians kissing at E3 now?

This about the only correct time for people to talk about reactionary moves.

MS can capitalize on no one else making announcements and putting mindshare onto the features they really want to sell.

a VR streamed conference only for PSVR owners ah AH !
With a virtual shuhei yoshida lap dancing on you and feeding you sexy game trailers.

To know this rarely gives them a lot of time to rewrite plans. Usually around now is e3 planning time. I wonder how bold they will be knowing a great deal more eyes will
be on them just because there is nothing else to watch lol.

I would like to say interesting move by Sony, but I’m pretty sure they were forced into it. You fold when you don’t have a hand.

The truth about a 2019 console is definitely real, and if it got moved to 2020 this could have been the result.

To know this rarely gives them a lot of time to rewrite plans. Usually around now is e3 planning time. I wonder how bold they will be knowing a great deal more eyes will
be on them just because there is nothing else to watch lol
Is that true? Everyone watches the shows, regardless of what the others do. Sony aren't pulling out of the conference, just not putting on a 90-120 minute presentation, so MS is no better off than every other year. You'd have a point if Sony's conference was at the same time stealing attention away, but that doesn't happen.

Any of these companies hosting any events anywhere at any time will get full coverage. The only time they won't is if they do something silly like have a conference the same time Apple does. ;)

The truth about a 2019 console is definitely real, and if it got moved to 2020 this could have been the result.

Benji (verified retail insider at ResetEra) mentioned about a month ago that Sony was tentatively eyeing a late 2019 release for PS5. I'm assuming the delay has more to do with the late arrival of the first PS5 SDKs that were rumored to be in the hands of third party developers, since early this year. I'm also guessing, the PS5 software/games aren't quite ready or "next-gen" enough for a 2019 showing. If Sony was contemplating launching the PS5 with primarily cross-generational software and patches on carrying the PS5, or until the first wave of original PS5 content becomes available, that would have been a disaster of a launch.

Even if that wasn't the case, the 2020 launch seems more reasonable for more mature PS5 software. Plus, I want to get a little bit more gaming mileage out of my Pro and XB1-X, before retiring them to the big gaming museum in the sky... err, closet.

Benji (verified retail insider at ResetEra) mentioned about a month ago that Sony was tentatively eyeing a late 2019 release for PS5. I'm assuming the delay has more to do with the late arrival of the first PS5 SDKs that were rumored to be in the hands of third party developers, since early this year. I'm also guessing, the PS5 software/games aren't quite ready or "next-gen" enough for a 2019 showing. If Sony was contemplating launching the PS5 with primarily cross-generational software and patches on carrying the PS5, or until the first wave of original PS5 content becomes available, that would have been a disaster of a launch.

Even if that wasn't the case, the 2020 launch seems more reasonable for more mature PS5 software. Plus, I want to get a little bit more gaming mileage out of my Pro and XB1-X, before retiring them to the big gaming museum in the sky... err, closet.
will a 2019 console look that much better than a xb1x . That's going to have to a hard hill to climb graphics wise and I can't really think of another time a console had to do that

will a 2019 console look that much better than a xb1x .

Better meaning what?

Are you talking strictly hardware floating-point throughput (12-14TF PS5 vs. 6TF XB1-X), or games in general?

Either way, I'm pretty sure PS5 and the Next Xbox will have more than enough math compute, memory and system bandwidth on handling more robust operations (e.g., shaders, IQ, textures, lighting, shadowing, framerates, etc.) than their predecessors.

Better meaning what?

Are you talking strictly hardware floating-point throughput (12-14TF PS5 vs. 6TF XB1-X), or games in general?

Either way, I'm pretty sure PS5 and the Next Xbox will have more than enough math compute, memory and system bandwidth on handling more robust operations (e.g., shaders, IQ, textures, lighting, shadowing, framerates, etc.) than their predecessors.
LIke I said , would it look like enough of a graphical leap from a 2017 console. I would assume the ps5 is 7nm and would most likely use a ryzen based cup and gpu would be a hybrid navi. But do you think that would make enough of a difference graphicly to get people to go out and spend more on such a system ?

I think these half way consoles are going to do more harm than good for both these companies if they launch the next system to early

LIke I said , would it look like enough of a graphical leap from a 2017 console. I would assume the ps5 is 7nm and would most likely use a ryzen based cup and gpu would be a hybrid navi. But do you think that would make enough of a difference graphicly to get people to go out and spend more on such a system ?

I think these half way consoles are going to do more harm than good for both these companies if they launch the next system to early

No matter how powerful PS5/Next-X is... it still boils down to the publishers and developers involved, along with the time and money invested into making a 'next-gen' IP. Can a next-generation 2019 title look significantly better than the current generation of game titles (e.g., RDR2, Detroit, God of War, Forza Horizon 4, etc.)? Graphically sure... sure they can. But the issue isn't necessarily presenting better "eye-candy," but rather presenting a more robust experience (e.g., gameplay mechanics, interactivity, story-boarding, metadata/contextual systems, etc.) than the current generation, especially within a short period of time.

E3 has become a giant infomercial anyway since it's mostly trailers/gameplay and not many announcements anymore. Sony was also getting far into the future showing games 2-3 years ahead so skipping a year will get things more aligned. That also means they won't be ready to demo anything PS5 by Summer 2019.

No matter how powerful PS5/Next-X is... it still boils down to the publishers and developers involved, along with the time and money invested into making a 'next-gen' IP. Can a next-generation 2019 title look significantly better than the current generation of game titles (e.g., RDR2, Detroit, God of War, Forza Horizon 4, etc.)? Graphically sure... sure they can. But the issue isn't necessarily presenting better "eye-candy," but rather presenting a more robust experience (e.g., gameplay mechanics, interactivity, story-boarding, metadata/contextual systems, etc.) than the current generation, especially within a short period of time.

Except the current generation of games was designed for the xbox one / ps4. Now we have ps4 pro and xbox one x. So unless developers will stop developing for these platforms next gen ip will hit those two consoles and if not the ps4 pro then certainly the xb one x .

Back