Quieter PS4Pro model stealth released

Interesting. I certainly don't have complaints about mine that came with the package, showing CUH-7215B.

I appreciate their effort but I seriously doubt their methodology, considering they have no idea how to operate an SPL meter.

Maybe sony readjusted the crazy target profile (interesting idea but it ended up too exponential for some reason), or maybe it hints foxcon solved their alledged inconsistent thermal paste? Mine is relatively quiet (pro-enhanced games are a bit louder than my PS4, but quieter than my PS3-Slim). All of them were dismantled a few times and thermal paste reapplied, so they're not representative samples.

Maybe that's why there's been shortages in certain territories, waiting for the new revision.

Should wait until enough customers report their subjective impression, since it was obviously inconsistent when the pro launched. We don't know if eurogamer just happened to have a good one, or if it's really an improvement from that model, Q/A, or design, or otherwise.

It's invariably the thermal paste at fault so unless you have a faulty PSU, your PS4 is in a hot ambient environment or it's just full of dust/cat hair, applying new thermal paste more carefully than they did at assembly will make it whisper quiet. :yep2:

Also interesting to see Sony go with the unearthed C8 connector in the UK/EU.

The temperature of the air outlet being higher indicates they might have improved the thermal profile (the hotter the air, the less air volume is require to carry the same number of watts). Still this would be the exact same observed effect with a better applied thermal paste. Hotter heatsink for the same die temp target. So we can't tell which one it is.

Last edited:
The launch pro had a 310w universal power supply, and C8 is 250w maximum in some regions. So the new one probably have 250w psu specs.

I don't think the bigger plug was earthed...I think it was just more meaty as a lead & plug.

All of the three-pin 'kettle lead'-style connectors (C5, C13, C15/a, C19 and C21) are earthed. This is the only reason to use a three pin connector over the two-pin C8 connector they've moved too. :yep2:

Back