Anthem

I like how the Tank class "feels" and looks heavy and encumbered. Everything from the armor design, to the animations, and including the sound design.

Then you move to the relatively lightly armored ranger class with less armor, and more fluid animations and less heavy sound design.

And then you finally arrive at the totally unencumbered free moving mage that us much more movement freedom but at the cost of having no armor protection at all.

If nothing else, they did a fantastic design with emphasizing the roles that each of those 3 classes are a part of.

Regards,
SB

Yup, looks great design wise!
Also seems to strongly emphasize squad based play. Since that requires that you have a group of friends who both have and want to play Anthem, and can play at the same time, this fits my life like a foot fits a glove. I guess we’ll see whether soloing is an option, or if there is a functional grouping mechanic.

I'm all for Anthem being a Destiny clone, provided they do it right and dont duplicate the pure shit show skinner-box mechanics from Bungie.

I'm all for Anthem being a Destiny clone, provided they do it right and dont duplicate the pure shit show skinner-box mechanics from Bungie.
and they actually have content unlike destiny. That will be the interesting part , bungie had two tries and have failed to make a single good game yet.

Frostbite titles are among the few that use a lot of tessellation. I don't understand that some developers saying that tesselation is bad. As long as they don't come with something comparable like more polygons in general I don't think they can say anything against it.

Without tesselation or more polygons such a surfaces simply look primitive.

Still the game needs something like softshadows. I don't like the hard shadows,

Last edited:
Micro polygons are bad for GPU performance. You usually need rather well tessellated model to be able to tessellate it further...
That said Ghost Recon Widlands tessellates madly (plain colour wireframe) and it works kinda okish... I suppose with the right hardware wasting a lot of power is "fine"...

Then current or future games should finally use more polygons for surfaces otherwise they look flat and 2D like. Battlefront and the Battlefield V Alpha are using a lot of tesselation and still they are one of the best performing games.

For example surfaces in AC: Origins look significantly worse than in Wildlands. Especially soil or streets with little vegetation simply look ugly. When using POM the problem with objects flying avove the ground becomes even greater.

This looks very fun and varied to me. If Anthem, The Division 2 and RDR 2 are released in late winter/spring, I might get a problem with all these games.

Last edited:
Looks fun, but I hope the story is to my liking, and that the online/party UI isn't garbage. I'm finding that Destiny 2's is pretty irritating just trying to play the story bits together (PC).

Too bad there's no crossplay.

Looks fun, but I hope the story is to my liking, and that the online/party UI isn't garbage. I'm finding that Destiny 2's is pretty irritating just trying to play the story bits together (PC).

Too bad there's no crossplay.

And I hope inventory management isn't a mess. But who am I kidding? It was developed with consoles as the target platform so inventory is probably going to be crap.

Regards,
SB

Back