Microsoft XBOX Mouse and Keyboard Support *split*

Mouse and keyboard on consoles is not a new thing. Non official produts were available on last generation, are also available now, and there is a market for it.
My only regard on this is the official support for it.
Remember when Microsoft denied Cross Play on last generation?
One of the reasons they gave was that Mouse and Keyboard is a far superior and precise control method, that totally destroys players using a controller - Source.
According to the source, Microsoft even placed some of the best console players using a controller, against some pc average players using mouse and keyboard. The results, according to the source, were disastrous, with console players beeing squashed every single time.
Now, i know Microsoft forgot about this... they are leading the PC Cross Play race. But this is still truth! Epic is getting problems with this on fortnite, and is even working on ways to pit players with mouse and keyboard against each others, avoiding controller, or touchscreen players. - Source.
And this is why I dont see and official support with good eyes. Xbox players with mouse and keyboard will be a small percentage. But they will be Xbox family. They should play with other Xbox players. Why the heck Xbox players should be able to play with PC friends and not be able to play with Xbox friends, because they are using mouse and keyboard? And what about games that do not cross play with PC, will controller player have to be squashed by other xbox players with mouse and keyboard, in an official way?
As I said, mouse and keyboard always were available, but adding official support is also officialy promoting this kind of unbalance. I simply do not get it. This is not the PC market, and the console market always tried to balance gameplay between its players. Official support for this, in my opinion, just sucks.

Oh, and btw, this is not a flame post against Microsoft. Sony also supports mouse and Keyboard on the PS4, just check the official ps4 webpage, although I belive this official Microsoft support will go a step further adding support for them in all games. Regardless, the intention of this post is to talk about official support of peripherals that offer superior results, but are not bundled as standard, on consoles, and not specifically about Microsoft.

Last edited:
Mouse and keyboard on consoles is not a new thing. Non official produts were available on last generation, are also available now, and there is a market for it.
My only regard on this is the official support for it.
Remember when Microsoft denied Cross Play on last generation?
One of the reasons they gave was that Mouse and Keyboard is a far superior and precise control method, that totally destroys players using a controller - Source.
According to the source, Microsoft even placed some of the best console players using a controller, against some pc average players using mouse and keyboard. The results, according to the source, were disastrous, with console players beeing squashed every single time.
Now, i know Microsoft forgot about this... they are leading the PC Cross Play race. But this is still truth! Epic is getting problems with this on fortnite, and is even working on ways to pit players with mouse and keyboard against each others, avoiding controller, or touchscreen players. - Source.
And this is why I dont see and official support with good eyes. Xbox players with mouse and keyboard will be a small percentage. But they will be Xbox family. They should play with other Xbox players. Why the heck Xbox players should be able to play with PC friends and not be able to play with Xbox friends, because they are using mouse and keyboard? And what about games that do not cross play with PC, will controller player have to be squashed by other xbox players with mouse and keyboard, in an official way?
As I said, mouse and keyboard always were available, but adding official support is also officialy promoting this kind of unbalance. I simply do not get it. This is not the PC market, and the console market always tried to balance gameplay between its players. Official support for this, in my opinion, just sucks.

Oh, and btw, this is not a flame post against Microsoft. Sony also supports mouse and Keyboard on the PS4, just check the official ps4 webpage, although I belive this official Microsoft support will go a step further adding support for them in all games. Regardless, the intention of this post is to talk about official support of peripherals that offer superior results, but are not bundled as standard, on consoles, and not specifically about Microsoft.
the issue is nonexistant, if the support is official you can count of people abiding by the rules, speciallly on a platform that doesn't offer unofficial support or semiofficial support. In addition, if Xbox gamers can cross-play with PC gamers, which is what MS seems to want fervently, this is another step towards the universal, unified environment they are pursuing.

I suspect that a significant reason MS did not want cross platform back then, especially with consoles was the fact that they were the only ones charging for online multiplayer. I wouldnt want my customers that I charge to play online to suddenly become part of a larger ecosystem where they are pitted with millions of consumers that enjoy the same service for free. It would start backfiring as consumers start noticing this charge as "unnecessary theft" that would make them consider the alternative option of zero charge. So better keep them enclosed to my own ecosystem and control the perception of value of a better service

Since now another major competitor charges now and the subscription benefits are no longer isolated to just online play (monthly free games etc) they dont worry much about it.

With official support, it is now accessible to the game developers to detect its an actual mouse and keyboard and not some system emulating a controller. This should allow developers to be better able to deal with gameplay balance issues. Just like MS suggest the game devs allow the users to slect to playing against pc gamers in competitive modes and not have it be enabled by default, they suggest the same thing for kb+m players.

The non-traversy of keyboard and mouse support. You won't be forced to play against keyboard and mouse players if you're using a gamepad. If you are using a gamepad and your friend is using a keyboard and mouse, you may be given the option to play up against mouse. Otherwise you can both decide ahead of time which input device you're going to use. Its not like you're locked into your input. Every console comes with a gamepad.

The non-traversy of keyboard and mouse support. You won't be forced to play against keyboard and mouse players if you're using a gamepad. If you are using a gamepad and your friend is using a keyboard and mouse, you may be given the option to play up against mouse. Otherwise you can both decide ahead of time which input device you're going to use. Its not like you're locked into your input. Every console comes with a gamepad.

So, if I go online, say in a PS4, against some Xbox friends I do not really know, but have marked as friends due to them beeing friends of friends, and we had played before, on a game other than fortnite that makes the separation, I will be warned of this if one them is using mouse and keyboard?
Is that what you are saying?

That is up to the developers, but MS gives them the capabilities. That is why this has been taking longer than some thought it should for MS.

Yes, developers have the option of forced separation of KB/M and controller players, opt-in of play between KB/M and controller players, or only same play space for all players. And they can mix and match those depending on server and game type.

I imagine for non-competitive games, there won't be separate servers/game instances (FFXIV, for example has all players in the same worlds/servers/instances). Competitive games are likely where there will be forced separation or opt-in/out separation.

Regards,
SB

it really is to continue pushing developers to support more MK/B xbox play anywhere. Which in turns sells their Xbox Game Pass.

They can never make XBL Gold work on PC. But game pass. Yes they can make that work. As long as M/KB Xbox and PC players can play together, you're building options for groups of friends to play together.

We will see huge support from MS on this front, but adoption will take 2-3 years before we start to see games on Xbox consistently released with M/KB support.

I wonder if anyone corrected his misconceptions about there being no way the console game would know he's using M+K to emulate controllers.

They cannot detect XIM. They are using heuristics to detect keyboard inputs. Already discovered and patched. Now the cat and mouse game can continue.

MS could push firmware update to their controllers, which XIM wouldn't have emulated, ... They couldn't flag directly on that, but could be one indicator that they should investigate further. The trouble to detect is the XIM likely emulates non-MS controllers, that dont support firmware updates.

Either way they lose the battle. All they would do is make it hell for everyone else using third party controllers who don't have extensive firmware update capability. Besides that, this is EPICs own engine heuristics as the same thing happened to PS4 players as well. Its probably why MS and (I suppose) Sony as well are going to leave it to the developers.

Understandable and only semi regrettable. I think their keyboards are pretty good quality, but I wouldn't be caught dead with one of their mice. Maybe they've changed, but they tend to use cheap switches for their mice. Most of the people I know that get a Razer mice have switches that start to fail in one or more ways within a year or two.

That said, Razer is a desirable brand name for many PC gamers and I'm sure MS wants to tap into that.

Regards,
SB

new Razor mouse and keyboard for Xbox One.

razer_gx.jpg

Back