Graphical Comparisons: Don't go Chasing Waterfalls or Throwing Rocks at Cars *bifurcation*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recop

Veteran
This game is defitnley a graphical highlight this gen I wish we had a adventure game with this fidelity

Well, some developers are rather used to these kind of vistas (waterfalls) so... :

Uncharted4-vgo-184.png

1504343747-uncharted-tm-the-lost-legacy-20170902103802.png

But it does look good for a racing game.

Last edited:
Well, some developers are rather used to these kind of vistas (waterfalls) so... :

Uncharted4-vgo-184.png

1504343747-uncharted-tm-the-lost-legacy-20170902103802.png

But it does look good for a racing game.

That’s what make it amazing on PGs part. The map has so many places that are just in the middle of no where but detailed like a linear game

Yea that doesn't look as good to me. Something with the material rendering and geometry doesn't match up. Let alone the lighting

The lighting is definitely less realistic in HZD. The game doesn't aim for a photorealistic look though, but that could be also for technical reasons.

Material rendering and geometry are top notch though. And the rocks in that pic are an artistic choice.

This is how other type of rocks can look in the game :

horizonzerodawn_20170j9s2j.png

I watched the photography thread of FH4 on Resetera and i would say that the geometry and texture work is not the strongest point of the game.

But at this point, we might need to create a topic to compare open world games. Actually, we should not see pics of other games in this thread. So i apologize to the mods...

Last edited:
To be clear, it's without a contest the best looking racing game on the market to me and one of the best looking game ever. The level of polish is extremely high. When i say it's not the strongest point of the game, that doesn't mean it looks bad. I'm nitpicking...

However i've seen some pics like that on Resetera :

02-10-2018_12-52-15endyo.png

31014840738_562b63b2f2_o.png

exJmi8X.jpg

Some objects look great from a distance but more flat on a closer inspection. Also, some textures look like photoshopped textures and i don't like this effect.

Last edited:
To be clear, it's without a contest the best looking racing game on the market to me and one of the best looking game ever. The level of polish is extremely high. When i say it's not the strongest point of the game, that doesn't mean it looks bad. I'm nitpicking...

However i've seen some pics like that on Resetera :

02-10-2018_12-52-15endyo.png

31014840738_562b63b2f2_o.png

exJmi8X.jpg

Some objects look great from a distance but more flat on a closer inspections. Also, some textures look like photoshopped textures and i don't like this effect.

I can see your point. That top show is most likely from base console or low settings on pc. The base console and non ultra setting on pc for textures are worse than what X/pc ultra uses. Also pc does have that bug with LOD which is why you can see some pics in that thread looking off compared to others

I can only imagine us coming back to see where PG goes with Fable graphically. Let alone FH5 in Japan!

every game has rough spots, what matters is the global picture, and when you actually play.
The new thing this gen is the addition of photomode which makes a lot easier to search for weaknesses, like zooming on this bad looking bush or rock which in gameplay is at hundreds of meters from the player.

I can see your point. That top show is most likely from base console or low settings on pc. The base console and non ultra setting on pc for textures are worse than what X/pc ultra uses. Also pc does have that bug with LOD which is why you can see some pics in that thread looking off compared to others

I didn't even notice that the first pic is from the XB1 version... so you're right on this one. But i noticed the same issue on some of your own screenschots, videos.

The rocks look low poly here with textures that look like photoshopped textures.

But then again i'm nitpicking. There's also screenshots like these on Resetera :

4fgftzC.png

And more importantly, the game can look like that in motion :

I love those shots. They look amazing.

What theme is the lighting called? I like the sunny morning looks of games that I was only able to really get with modded Crysis 1 and UC4's inside house ending.

Blur really is amazing. That tower/grotto pic in nightime looks real at a glance although you have to forgive me as that's a vague statement.

FH4's environment detail is just average to low quality with less than stellar LOD probably due to moving at high speed most of the time where the engine couldn't keep up with streaming high quality assets. Compare that to an actual open world game moving at slower pace you can see the level of detail, asset quality, density and shader quality are simply at a much higher level.
1488468342-horizon-zeexc3n.png

1qhi9n.png

horizonzerodawn20170wrc31.png

283ew4.png

horizonzerodawn_20170qudec.png

You just don't see details as sharp, dense, well polished as this in FH4, for an open world car racing game it's the best there is no doubt but hardly a watermark for open world game graphics in general.

I won't say assets look average in FH4, but some games are better in this field. But then again, we're comparing the most polished games in the market. On the other hand, the lighting in FH4 is top notch and beats many games.

And in my opinion, one limitation comes from the high resolution targeted on both platforms : 1080p and native 4K.

1080 is a high resolution on XB1 and it will hardly match a PS4 at that resolution, even though racing games seem to be less demanding in general. And the same situation happens between the Pro/X.

However, i don't have FH4 and my opnion in only based on screenshots. Maybe someone could post more assets close up of the game ?

Some more of HZD :

1502207978-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170808174129.png

horizonzerodawn_20170pqurx.png

dyHu8NT.png

Last edited:
FH4's details are in no way "average/low quality" like you say. They're extremely detailed. I have played both and FH4 impresses me more. The clarity in it is better over hzd (4k 4xMSAA) and all the details in the world is much more pronounced. I don't even need to list the amount of simulations going in FH4 to show it's top class stuff. I'll take some pics tonight of objects really close and textures. They're easily matches what you see above. X/pc ultra settings use ultra textures which take advantage of 12gb of ram so it'll have more details due to that

And the water is a whole other level above hzd
giphy.gif

30273450047_0532dfbe82_o.png

30274454827_c0bf99da42_o.png

44275350874_d608b19eda_o.png

44334443314_89fea37e0a_k.jpg

30106757157_2969d4fac7_o.jpg

ce5WQch.jpg

45099118241_8a61bce4d4_o.png

30128110117_ef3dd00e0d_o.png

04-10-2018_17-03-38nqiji.png

44263215385_b81025b439_k.jpg

43325322440_d42c5777cf_o.jpg

UH9ab9p.jpg

NEKxZFq.jpg

LCReEB0.jpg

cp01XNo.jpg

HTn7EHa.jpg

zj75e7o.jpg

4cbvufg.jpg

TVZLb5i.jpg

This video shows how detailed the world is. All of the trees and plants move in the wind, there's pollen floating in the air glittering from the sun, every leaf on the ground is modeled and not just painted on the ground. There's no reason for a player to be this far in the woods and yet it's as detailed as any normal open world game

t5HSGKc.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back