Windows 10 [2018]

I disagree. They're no worse than before. The reason for any bugs slipping in are because of the vast diversity they need to support in the PC eco-system. It's substantially easier to producer higher quality software when you only support 3 to 5 standard configurations.

My experience contradicts this ( for the little that is what is worth ). Vista, W7 and W8 were all comparatively stable (loved windows8 as a reskin of w7 with much smoother performance). Service pack- grade updates never broke the system or made features non functional.

Maybe some of the bad taste in my mouth comes also from trying out insider builds at one time (for both W10 on PC and on the phone). Thouse were also terible. I'll forever remember the Groove player for phones which could only play *some* of the mp3 files (about 2 thirds !), in 2016

The start menu refusing to show itself is an issue that spanned multiple bianual updates (it'd be nice if it really was fixed for 1809).
The other huge problems are the silent failures of File History (which would be the kind of functionality one would rely on). And then the unreliability & slowness of modern apps. Calculator (e.g.) takes some 3-4 seconds to load on my 7980XE. That's when it works.. sometimes (often!) launching it results in an empty window that needs to be closed and hopefully the next time it would actually work.

My experience contradicts this ( for the little that is what is worth ). Vista, W7 and W8 were all comparatively stable (loved windows8 as a reskin of w7 with much smoother performance). Service pack- grade updates never broke the system or made features non functional.

Maybe some of the bad taste in my mouth comes also from trying out insider builds at one time (for both W10 on PC and on the phone). Thouse were also terible. I'll forever remember the Groove player for phones which could only play *some* of the mp3 files (about 2 thirds !), in 2016

The start menu refusing to show itself is an issue that spanned multiple bianual updates (it'd be nice if it really was fixed for 1809).
The other huge problems are the silent failures of File History (which would be the kind of functionality one would rely on). And then the unreliability & slowness of modern apps. Calculator (e.g.) takes some 3-4 seconds to load on my 7980XE. That's when it works.. sometimes (often!) launching it results in an empty window that needs to be closed and hopefully the next time it would actually work.
the issue with the calculator is a very odd occurrence. The calculator works not only at home but also where I am studying, where I use it regularly.

Windows Media Player is very good, imho, but Groove is just one of the worst programs I've ever tried. Videos and sound that work flawlessly on VLC or Windows Media Player, look pixelated or have no sound on Groove Films and TV, it's sooooo bad.

the issue with the calculator is a very odd occurrence. The calculator works not only at home but also where I am studying, where I use it regularly.

It's not the calculator.. It happens for me to all the Modern Apps (like One Note, Settings App). Althought after the 3rd or 4th launch the app would have started succesfully, it's highly annoying and amateurish
My point is that central pieces of Windows 10 appear to be brittle.

this japanese Windows 7 commercial has the potential to make some people turning back to Windows 7

Just did some sort of cumulative update for 1803, and now WinStore can't find the games installed on a secondary drive, and now I have to redownload the entire set of games instead of just somewhere telling the damn thing where the games were installed (the space is still taken up).

Meanwhile, my steam games survived both a cloning and switching motherboards (had to redownload all WinStore stuff).

jfc. Good thing I don't have a cap, but now I have to waste a weekend.

I have Store bizarreness too. Mine says there's no internet connection. I discovered it will work if I set my network to public instead of private. WTF... I reset networking, reset the firewall, and even disabled the firewall but the store will still only work with network set to public. Some kind of problem caused by that 1809 update.

Today Windows Update sent me a keyboard driver for my HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF that causes a WDF Violation BSOD on boot. I've been reinstalling Windows for hours trying to narrow this down. 1803 and 1809. I thought it might be the cumulative updates, or something else. I'm not even sure why it's getting a HP keyboard driver.... I'm not using their keyboard.

Last edited:
Ah, crappy device drivers who doesn't love them? I see Google results of people complaining about HpqKbFiltr.sys from 2008, 2013 etc. Apparently it is a driver for quick launch keyboard buttons on HP systems.

Today Windows Update sent me a keyboard driver for my HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF that causes a WDF Violation BSOD on boot. I've been reinstalling Windows for hours trying to narrow this down. 1803 and 1809. I thought it might be the cumulative updates, or something else. I'm not even sure why it's getting a HP keyboard driver.... I'm not using their keyboard.
odd, have never heard of that. Did you fix the issue?

The new October update has a Dark Mode. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-dark-mode-in-windows-10-october-2018-update/

For those of you who prefer a Dark Mode to avoid restraining your eyes and also save battery life, etc etc, or are used to programs with a dark interface or a dark setting like Visual Studio and so on, that might be good news.

windows-10-october-2018-update-this-is-file-explorer-with-a-dark-theme-522593-6.jpg

attachment.php

dark-mode-explorer-windows.png

Edge and Office also have a Dark Mode. There are new options in Edge, like being able to stop sites from playing audio and videos automatically, which for someone with a metered connection like me, it's a good setting and it works --tested it.

Yeah I have been wanting a dark interface for Explorer. That's definitely a highlight to 1809.

Ah, crappy device drivers who doesn't love them? I see Google results of people complaining about HpqKbFiltr.sys from 2008, 2013 etc. Apparently it is a driver for quick launch keyboard buttons on HP systems.
I'm not sure what it's for. I think it could be related to remote management because this is a business-oriented machine with all of those Intel AMT remote features available. I thought I had them all disabled though. There's nothing obvious in device manager.

I'm not sure what it's for. I think it could be related to remote management because this is a business-oriented machine with all of those Intel AMT remote features available. I thought I had them all disabled though. There's nothing obvious in device manager.
You can search the registry for the driver name. It could be what was called in Windows 7 a non-pnp driver (you could show these devices in device manager in Windows 7 but apparently you can't in 10).

You can search the registry for the driver name. It could be what was called in Windows 7 a non-pnp driver (you could show these devices in device manager in Windows 7 but apparently you can't in 10).
There are organizations with hundreds of these HP ProDesk machines that are having this driver BSOD problem so hopefully the update will go away soon. I assume they can actually communicate with MS in a useful manner. I did submit my own feedback to MS with the feedback hub. I used the MS Windows Update troubleshooter to block the update for now.

Driver listed as:
HP Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - 7/11/2018 12:00:00 AM - 11.0.3.1

Last edited:
There are organizations with hundreds of these HP ProDesk machines that are having this driver BSOD problem so hopefully the update will go away soon. I assume they can actually communicate with MS in a useful manner. I did submit my own feedback to MS with the feedback hub. I used the MS Windows Update troubleshooter to block the update for now.

Driver listed as:
HP Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - 7/11/2018 12:00:00 AM - 11.0.3.1
Hopefully, but I wouldn't be surprised that this isn't resolved without arcane measures.

Hopefully, but I wouldn't be surprised that this isn't resolved without arcane measures.
HP PCs Getting WDF_VIOLATION BSOD After Installing Windows 10 Updates

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ate-bsod/ee2ca1bc-b98f-4e1f-9fea-e0803b6766c9
MS responded there. How crazy is it that HP/MS would trash thousands of business PCs with a compulsory mysterious keyboard driver.

It also sounds like Dell and other PCs are running into some BSODs as well. Maybe unrelated to the HP keyboard driver issue.

Last edited:
HP PCs Getting WDF_VIOLATION BSOD After Installing Windows 10 Updates

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ate-bsod/ee2ca1bc-b98f-4e1f-9fea-e0803b6766c9
MS responded there. How crazy is it that HP/MS would trash thousands of business PCs with a compulsory mysterious keyboard driver.

It also sounds like Dell and other PCs are running into some BSODs as well. Maybe unrelated to the HP keyboard driver issue.
Well, MS have acknowledged that they haven't been good enough reading error reports from insider testers (re: the file deletion) and since this version of Windows 10 introduces a new driver model (2.5), it might be that this driver from HP had a problem which didn't manifest in the driver model 2.4 world.

So, as I said before, I don't want to beta test so I defer feature updates for up to a year and security updates for a week (this is only lightly risky, but I can mitigate it no problem) because MS has proved with many Windows 10 releases they have abandoned truly rigorous quality standards (if they ever had them which is debatable) and jumped with both feet in the mobile mindset mire.

It looks like MS has pulled the HP keyboard driver update. It no longer appears in WU on that machine.

Last edited:
Back