How to organize discussions *spawn*

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
B3D hasnt been doing generic mega threads in the console space for some time now, so please create new threads with new news items with appropriate thread titles. It makes it easier to see what the news is when the thread titles are not a generic catch-all bucket.

B3D hasnt been doing generic mega threads in the console space for some time now, so please create new threads with new news items with appropriate thread titles. It makes it easier to see what the news is when the thread titles are not a generic catch-all bucket.
what you mean..., well, I can understand, but a thread for Xbox gamers where they can share their opinion and news would be a welcome addition. Generic isn't always bad. I mean, some news are just rumours, other posts are just opinions, so both aren't post-worthy in the sense of creating a new thread.

This is good news for instance, but I'd rather prefer to have everything ordered and compiled in a Xbox specific thread. New threads for your everyday news means overcluttering the forum, imho.

Which means, people aren't going to create new threads for that, plus people won't comment on a more focused thread 'cos it doesn't exist.

Thats your opinion and we cant fault you for it, but the opinion of the admins/moderators and some users are different. We can't please everyone, so we have been going with the approach mentioned earlier for the past few years. Its not a recent change.

It makes it easier for people to determine the content of the threads, follow along and participate, and most importantly being able to find the content when searching.

A generic news thread isn't warranted. This is a discussion forum, for discussing points worth discussing. For newsfeeds, there are plenty of other sources. What's there to discuss about a custom XBox? The irony of it having a donation for an eco charity while being made of non-biodegradable plastics and packaged with non-recyclable Styrofoam and a half-dozen small plastic bags the sort of which find their way into the sea? What would be more appropriate is a thread on console designs that catalogues the different special editions of consoles, say.

If there's nothing really to discuss about a post, it's probably not worth posting. The sales story could go in to the sales anecdote thread.

A generic news thread isn't warranted. This is a discussion forum, for discussing points worth discussing. For newsfeeds, there are plenty of other sources. What's there to discuss about a custom XBox? The irony of it having a donation for an eco charity while being made of non-biodegradable plastics and packaged with non-recyclable Styrofoam and a half-dozen small plastic bags the sort of which find their way into the sea? What would be more appropriate is a thread on console designs that catalogues the different special editions of consoles, say.

If there's nothing really to discuss about a post, it's probably not worth posting. The sales story could go in to the sales anecdote thread.
that's a bit too rigid. I can quite understand you are the utmost fans of order, but I don't see what is the issue with a mega thread with news and opinions about a particular console.

This reminds me of a friend who is a fan of retrogaming and is also the mind behind a forum related to retro games.

He is smart and all, but for some reason he has decided that in order for people to be able to see the content of the forum, people must be registered.

Not only that, but in order to register and see all the content you MUST write a post, at least. He does that to test who is worthy.

That can be discouraging for new users. In addition, sometimes I want to connect from a different device or another browser and can't see a thing because I haven't logged in there. I discussed this with him a few times, but to no avail.

The entire console board is about news and opinions regarding consoles. Having the discussions separated into different topics means everyone can choose which topics to contribute to, ignore, and can readily follow the discussion relating to that topic. Having one massive thread discussing lots of points just makes it harder to follow what's going on.

As I said, there are already loads of sources for news. Why does B3D need a giant thread with a dozen new random console-related articles and anecdotes linked in when there are plenty of sites reporting small news? How does that make the internet richer? It doesn't. It just replaces one option, structured conversation, with an option that's already available elsewhere, meaning those wanting structured conversation without the usual randomness miss out. If you want commentary on random news, post in the comment sections of gaming websites, or on Reddit. B3D is a different, less random, experience to that and will remain as much.

Back