Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

Nice, I wonder what they ended up with in the negotiations.

Last edited:
The relationship/correlation between launch date of PS5 and enabling of crossplay has no reason to be strong.

As I've been saying all along, Sony simply haven't been taking much crap over this issue. Something will get posted every few weeks but it's a far cry from Microsoft's always online approach originally planned for Xbox One where the lobbying for change just didn't stop for a single day for weeks and weeks. Now, it's possible that Sony are under pressure for publishers and developers outside of the media eye but you can only comment on what you do see.

I think it's almost certain that Sony will announce PS5 by the end of Q1 2019 and will want this issue, which you know would come up, to be have been almost entirely forgotten before that reveal happens. They can't rely on Microsoft handing then a bunch goodwill a second launch in a row, they'll need to work to make PS5 appeal on its merits.

If Sony doesn’t announce by E3 2019 I doubt will they will announce in 2019. What would be the point of announcing a product so close to a holiday season where it won’t be available? No point in dragging down PS4’s sales by promoting a PS5 in the middle of the holiday season.

If Sony doesn’t announce by E3 2019 I doubt will they will announce in 2019. What would be the point of announcing a product so close to a holiday season where it won’t be available? No point in dragging down PS4’s sales by promoting a PS5 in the middle of the holiday season.

If they launch the console fall 2019, they will announce it before GDC 2019.... Same for 2020 before GDC 2020, because no leaks...

From Era, it seems like Steam SDK hints at more cross-play with xbox live through network api: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ssible-crossplay-network-api-with-xbox.87289/

Which links to this github commit: https://github.com/SteamDatabase/St...3c9815c#diff-23b34e68362f5f00c56eb6c084651179

Code:
message CMsgSteamNetworkingIdentity {
    optional fixed64 steam_id = 16;
    optional string xbox_pairwise_id = 17;
    optional bytes generic_bytes = 2;
    optional string generic_string = 3;
    optional bytes ipv6_and_port = 4;
}

As I've been saying all along, Sony simply haven't been taking much crap over this issue. Something will get posted every few weeks but it's a far cry from Microsoft's always online approach originally planned for Xbox One where the lobbying for change just didn't stop for a single day for weeks and weeks. Now, it's possible that Sony are under pressure for publishers and developers outside of the media eye but you can only comment on what you do see.

I think it's almost certain that Sony will announce PS5 by the end of Q1 2019 and will want this issue, which you know would come up, to be have been almost entirely forgotten before that reveal happens. They can't rely on Microsoft handing then a bunch goodwill a second launch in a row, they'll need to work to make PS5 appeal on its merits.

Well, one of these issues was universally loathed. The other most people probably don't give a shit about. Pretty sure Fortnite has enough of an install base per system to maintain a healthy competition, so at worst having no cross play would be a nuisance. Do I think it's a dick move? - Sure. Does it affect me? - Not even a little bit. MS's always-on-dystopia on the other hand would have affected everyone.

Keypoints from the Epic Unreal Engine Cross-Platform Services:
  • Unreal Engine and Unity integrations.
  • All services will be operated in a privacy-friendly, GDPR-compliant manner.
  • Large set of cross-platform game services originally built for Fortnite, and battle-tested with 200,000,000 players across 7 platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch)

From the It's about damn time Sony category, some games are nearing the finish line, like Rocket League …

---
https://www.rocketleague.com/news/full-cross-platform-play-now-live-in-rocket-league/

Rocket League has entered the PlayStation Cross-Play Beta program! Players on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Steam can now randomly matchmake with or against each other in all Online match types (i.e. Casual, Competitive, and Extra Modes).

To make sure that Cross-Platform play is enabled (it is by default), head to the "Main Menu," select "Options" and then make sure the "Cross-Platform Play" box is checked in the "Gameplay" tab. And that's all there is to it. You are now ready to play against gamers on other platforms across the world!

But what about cross-platform parties? In our first update this year (more information coming soon), we will release our cross-platform party system, which allows you to partner up with friends on any platform with the push of a few buttons.

Should you want to play with friends on other platforms before cross-platform parties release, however, you can! Just select "Play" from the "Main Menu," then "Private Match," followed by "Create" or "Join Private Match," and you're set from there.

Today's announcement is an important one for us here at Psyonix, because we know how much our community has wanted FULL cross-platform support for quite some time. It's because of YOU, our fans, and our generous partners on all systems and services that have made this possible in the first place.

Talk about Salty AF. That Era thread is entertaining to read through.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...g-favorites-with-ps4s-cross-platform-support/

Devs accuse Sony of “playing favorites” with PS4’s cross-platform support
Wargroove, Paladins makers say they're just waiting on Sony's OK to open up.

Now, though, some third-party developers are saying Sony is still standing in the way of letting the PS4 versions of their games play nicely with other platforms.

"We just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch, and Xbox," Chucklefish CEO Finn "Tiy" Brice wrote on the ResetEra forums. "We made many requests for crossplay (both through our [Sony] account manager and directly with higher-ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen."

Brice's comments came days after new Hi-Rez Studios CEO Stew Chisam tweeted at Sony that the studio was "ready to go when you are" for cross-play on Smite, Paladins, and Realm Royale. "It's time to stop playing favorites and tear down the crossplay/progression wall for everyone," he said.

In a follow-up tweet, Chisam explained that Xbox/Switch cross-play has led to a direct improvement in the Paladins online user experience, including reduced wait times, more balanced matchmaking, and fewer "bad" matches overall.

Crossplay for Paladins improvements for the users:

All very logical outcomes really, given the probabilities & population size.

Also, companies developing Vs. Fighters should really be at the forefront of crossplay given the niche audience (or any niche genre).

Has there been any feedback on what Fortnite is like for console gamers now facing KBM opponents?
hm... Either they don't notice nor care, or the population is large enough that matchmaking is able to do its job putting players of appropriate skill level against one another anyway :?:

Are cross-players identifiable in-game?

Last edited:
Are cross-players identifiable in-game?
I expect there's a minimum speed of aim that's higher in KBM users, which wouldn't be noticeable in all but the best players on console finding themselves suddenly at a disadvantage. The way it'd manifest is statistically worse performance for console players and statistically better performance for KBM users. In Apex, it's obvious a PC player could trounce a console player. The lack of cross-system play there strikes me as a plus. I play Awesomenauts on PC a bit but prefer the comfort of a controller, but I'm definitely at a disadvantage for aiming which is critical for some characters. I'm all in favour for cross-platform play, but definitely feel players should be allowed to elect to filter matchmaking so, if they want, they can exclude being matched up against control schemes or platforms.

I expect there's a minimum speed of aim that's higher in KBM users, which wouldn't be noticeable in all but the best players on console finding themselves suddenly at a disadvantage. The way it'd manifest is statistically worse performance for console players and statistically better performance for KBM users. In Apex, it's obvious a PC player could trounce a console player. The lack of cross-system play there strikes me as a plus. I play Awesomenauts on PC a bit but prefer the comfort of a controller, but I'm definitely at a disadvantage for aiming which is critical for some characters. I'm all in favour for cross-platform play, but definitely feel players should be allowed to elect to filter matchmaking so, if they want, they can exclude being matched up against control schemes or platforms.

Console players are not forced to play against PC players. They only play against PC if they join a squad with a PC player. It's opt-in. All of the consoles are in one match-making pool, all of the pc players are in one matchmaking pool and all of the mobile players are in another. If a mobile player squads with a console player, they play in the console matchmaking pool.

You can view the pools as tiers.
1. PC
2. console
3. mobile

Players can only move up a tier by joining a squad in that pool. They cannot move down a tier.

Back