How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know I told someone that Spider-Man will outsell God of War... we're talking Marvel's most valuable franchise and a fan-base that was waiting for a good game (which it is).

And yet people were acting like if Youtube views didn't count... it's not a perfect indicator, but still an indicator.

But Red Dead Redemption might hurt Spiderman... never release a game next to a big juggernaut...

But Red Dead Redemption might hurt Spiderman... never release a game next to a big juggernaut...

RDR2 is seven weeks away. I feel Spider-Man will be competing with Shadow of the Tomb Raider which releases this week.

Not only that, but it's the fastest-selling Marvel-branded game in history, beating previous title LEGO Marvel Super Heroes by a big margin.
And the from elsewhere...
According to Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment President David Haddad, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is the best-selling LEGO game of all time.
So SM is tracking higher than the best selling LEGO game of all time in its opening.

VGChartz's made-up numbers put L:MSH at maybe 7-8 million. Looks like 8 million isn't off the cards at least. Don't think the average review score is high enough for breakthrough sales. Are people streaming Spider-Man feeds?

And the from elsewhere...
So SM is tracking higher than the best selling LEGO game of all time in its opening.

VGChartz's made-up numbers put L:MSH at maybe 7-8 million. Looks like 8 million isn't off the cards at least. Don't think the average review score is high enough for breakthrough sales. Are people streaming Spider-Man feeds?

The game will probably do 10+ millions. UC4 was 8,7 millions the 22th december 2016... UC 4, TLOU 2, God of War, Spiderman and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn will be 10+ millions games...

From resetera it seems some people are streaming Spiderman.

Bundling is a big factor in determining how 'leggy' a game is for SP games. It's pretty hard to sell >10M for SP game on a single platform.

I'm still sticking with 8-10M lifetime.

It does seem to be selling a bit faster than I thought though. I thought GoW would sell faster initially and SM would sell more in the long run. If SM does indeed outsell GoW in the first month or so, and Sony heavily bundles SM, it could easily sell >10M.

Last edited:
And from resetera, one sales insider said it will beat God of War launch in US.
Sounds incredible but believable, I know Spidey is Huge in the US and definitely appeals to the mainstream more than God of War, I just didn't think it's selling twice more in the UK already :). What are the chances of Sony buying Insomniac?

I think Insomniac wants to stay independent. They obviously have a really good relationship though.

Who knows, maybe they will one day. Sony seems to give their studios a lot of freedom anyway.

What are the chances of Sony buying Insomniac?

I'm sure this is something that has occurred to both Sony and Insomniac over the years and if it hasn't happened, it hasn't happened for a reason.

From Sony's perspective, buying Insomniac doesn't look like it make's a lot of sense given the number of studios Sony already own. If you're after the talent, they're not guaranteed to stay after the acquisition so you're mostly buying a company for tech, patents or IP and Insomniac don't own much in the way of IP. They own Fuse (remember that, no? not surprising :nope:) and Sunset Overdrive. Activision own Spyro, Sony own Ratchet and Clank and obviously Sony/Marvel own Spider-Man.

MS could buy Insomniacs. They are among the top 5 wealthiest company in the world after all. It's only a question of how much they want to spend in the gaming industry.

In terms of financial power, Sony is an ant compared to MS.

I'm sure this is something that has occurred to both Sony and Insomniac over the years and if it hasn't happened, it hasn't happened for a reason.

From Sony's perspective, buying Insomniac doesn't look like it make's a lot of sense given the number of studios Sony already own. If you're after the talent, they're not guaranteed to stay after the acquisition so you're mostly buying a company for tech, patents or IP and Insomniac don't own much in the way of IP. They own Fuse (remember that, no? not surprising :nope:) and Sunset Overdrive. Activision own Spyro, Sony own Ratchet and Clank and obviously Sony/Marvel own Spider-Man.

Don't forget the Resistance IP. A trilogy remake for the PS4 would have been nice... maybe a new entry as well.

Don't forget the Resistance IP. A trilogy remake for the PS4 would have been nice... maybe a new entry as well.

I genuinely liked Resistance 1 and 2 but never played the third outing (yeah, I know). I was happy to punch out when they killed the main protagonist. *SPOILERS* :runaway: I guess I never will know exactly how the Chimera got to be on Earth. :nope: Checking Wikipedia is simply impossible. :yep2:

I guess I never will know exactly how the Chimera got to be on Earth. :nope: Checking Wikipedia is simply impossible. :yep2:

http://resistance.wikia.com/wiki/Chimera
Chimera were of extraterrestrial origins and archaeological evidences revealed that they had been present on Earth millions of years prior to humanity's existence.

The precise origins of the Chimera are unknown, but it is known that at least 60 million years ago a race of beings, presumably the original or "Pure" Chimera, had colonized Earth and established a foothold on the planet.

Over 60 million years later, the Chimera returned to Earth during the Tunguska Event of 1908. Their arrival was initially interpreted as a small asteroid or comet strike; the object descending through the Earth's atmosphere was presumably a spacecraft or capsule. Evidence suggests that the Chimera had planned the attack on Earth since the time of their departure, as shown by the presence of the Chimeran Tower network that was found buried across the world. Some towers even happened to be under major population centres, such as London,Paris, Chicago and New York.

I think the game will sell 15M pretty easily. The people trying to downplay the significance of Spider-Man were clearly off their rockers. He's up there with Mickey Mouse and Mario as one of the most recognizable characters in the world. Activision badly wasted the potential of the character while they had the publishing rights.

I think the game will sell 15M pretty easily. The people trying to downplay the significance of Spider-Man were clearly off their rockers. He's up there with Mickey Mouse and Mario as one of the most recognizable characters in the world. Activision badly wasted the potential of the character while they had the publishing rights.
I think you're off your rocker. ;) Logic and data say you're way off the mark.

Spider Man 2 on PS2 gen scores 80+% on Metacritic, sold on the back of the highly acclaimed (best ever) Spider-Man movie, to a multiplatform install base of probably 80 million PS2s (70 million sold as of Jan 2004) and another ten+ million of XBs and GCs. Going by VGChartz (if you've a better source, please provide!), SM2 sold something like 5 million. Maybe to 7% of the console market.

The best selling single player games on PS4 to date haven't even broached 10 million.

Spider-Man is not the strongest super hero IP in the world - Batman has that title. Batman Arkham City, a metascore of over 90%, sold something like 10 million to an install base of 50 million PS360s. Some 20% of the market bought that game.

Insomniac's Spider-Man is a weaker IP than Batman, and is a lower rated game than Batman Arkham City - you'd expect it to sell to a smaller proportion than that game's 20% as ti's weaker in two areas. The previous killer Spider-Man game only sold 5 million units out of a similar install base to PS4's. The PS4 SM is selling to a smaller audience without the same movie-assist - the SM:Homecoming isn't rated as highly. PS4 SM is a bit higher rated though. The better rated, stronger brand Batman game was maybe only just looking at 15 million units if the market had been the same size as PS4's, so how can one predict >15M for a lower rated game on a weaker brand?

There's not one single piece of evidence to suggest Spider-Man can sell 15 million, let alone pretty easily. If it sells over 10 million, it'll have busted sensible predictions. It may be helped past previous records thanks to game streaming and stuff which previous Spider-Man and Batman games haven't had, but that'd be a wild-card outcome.

There's not one single piece of evidence to suggest Spider-Man can sell 15 million, let alone pretty easily. If it sells over 10 million, it'll have busted sensible predictions. It may be helped past previous records thanks to game streaming and stuff which previous Spider-Man and Batman games haven't had, but that'd be a wild-card outcome.

Certainly game streaming is going to give it a boost that the Batman games didn't get to nearly the same extent. Whether that will propel it north of 15 million or not? IMO, unlikely but not impossible.

As long as the game is good and streamers genuinely like it (viewers pick up on that stuff), I think it should break 10 million sales relatively certainly.

So while the Spiderman franchise may not be as strong as the Batman franchise and may not be multiplatform, it does enjoy some benefits over the previous Batman games, the large PS4 install base and popularity of streaming as a buying decision aid are some of them.

Also the PS3/X360 era represented sort of a downturn in core gamer interest, if not for the Wii, that generation would have suffered in total consumer dollar spending compared to previous and succeeding console generations. In other words, Batman would like have done better if it released now than back then. Core gamer interest is higher and thus Spiderman will likely benefit from that.

Regards,
SB

Back