Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I believe Navi is going to be a product exclusive to Sony. It is their next gpu architecture for the general consumer. It's their late 2019, 2020 roadmap, unless they plan on not releasing a new PC gpu until 2021.

I don't think anyone has suggested an exclusivity deal with Sony would prevent the release of PC products. But it's not hard to imagine a scenario where certain features are contractually exclusive and not available for use in other semi custom designs for a certain term.

Give me typical next-gen console hardware for 2020, like an Xbox One X Plus (Or Xbox Two), without any PC RayTracing hardware, and then give me second or third generation PC RayTracing hardware for consoles in 2024. Dont call the 2024 consoles as midgen upgrades, but call it genuine next-gen that has full BC with Xbox One X Plus. Dont give me any of this weaker and currently unused first-generation PC RayTracing.

Give me typical next-gen console hardware for 2020, like an Xbox One X Plus (Or Xbox Two), without any PC RayTracing hardware, and then give me second or third generation PC RayTracing hardware for consoles in 2024. Dont call the 2024 consoles as midgen upgrades, but call it genuine next-gen that has full BC with Xbox One X Plus. Dont give me any of this weaker and currently unused first-generation PC RayTracing.

I don't think your 2020 systems will be limited on rasterization TF throughput, even if RT logic is present. Something with 12TF of general compute and RT performance close to an RTX 2070, would be a nice gaming system for about $499.

I don't think anyone has suggested an exclusivity deal with Sony would prevent the release of PC products. But it's not hard to imagine a scenario where certain features are contractually exclusive and not available for use in other semi custom designs for a certain term.

Certain features maybe, but the base architecture for Navi will most likely be what shows up on the next Playstation, Xbox and PC. I can't see AMD making two GPU architectures at the same time.

I think ray tracing is going to be adopted very quickly in the PC space.

What does that have to do with what MS can get? MS can order any kind of APU [but most likely they won't get a top of the line Navi].

Someone asked if Microsoft might stick with, or be stuck with, Vega. I think the answer to both of those questions is no.

RT allready made entry on the pc, nvidia will develop it only further, amd will have to follow. Consoles lagging behind, but thats a given seeing the price range and development time, the HW spec of a console probally was finished before RT was a thing.

Support sure, required/manditory no.

You cant make it manditory until integrated GPUs have RT too.

My concerns if I were MS or Sony
a) a 4 year generation isn't long at all and it could backlash
b) 6 years from now is a ton of time for things to get going, Xbox and PS4 are only 5 years old now and look how far rendering and algorithms have changed. RT being so fresh could move substantially faster.
c) RT is a cheaper way to develop games, less hacks required for them to get what they want.
d) RT is likely more effective to differentiate between next gen and this gen as a marketing tool
e) RT is something they can market.
f) People always want the new shit.

I think 1 company launching with and another company without would be a colossal misstep. They stand to benefit to move together towards RT.

My concerns if I were MS or Sony
a) a 4 year generation isn't long at all and it could backlash
b) 6 years from now is a ton of time for things to get going, Xbox and PS4 are only 5 years old now and look how far rendering and algorithms have changed. RT being so fresh could move substantially faster.
c) RT is a cheaper way to develop games, less hacks required for them to get what they want.
d) RT is likely more effective to differentiate between next gen and this gen as a marketing tool
e) RT is something they can market.
f) People always want the new shit.

I think 1 company launching with and another company without would be a colossal misstep. They stand to benefit to move together towards RT.

Personally I hope one launches with RT acceleration and one without. Just think of the fanboy wars that would happen in the Digital Foundry threads? It'll be better than playing the games.

Something I've been wondering about, if it's feasible or not; using a traditional rendering console as a baseline and using ray-tracing rendering on a second console as an upper-plateau for image enhancements using XBox Scarlet Hybrid Game-Streaming Kahawai? So instead of using it to improve the low-end console, it's used on the high-end to bring about RT-goodness.

:cool:

Personally I hope one launches with RT acceleration and one without. Just think of the fanboy wars that would happen in the Digital Foundry threads? It'll be better than playing the games.

Now imagine if one can enable RT through the power of the cloud with hybrid game-streaming with cheaper priced hardware since it doesn't require RT hardware locally.

Now imagine if one can enable RT through the power of the cloud with hybrid game-streaming with cheaper priced hardware since it doesn't require RT hardware locally.
Assuming such a service existed, they could release that for this gen in theory and the result would largely be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back