Gamma vs Linear, or why you shouldn't let programmers run wild

OCASM

Regular
This is what happens when programmers mess with things they don't understand. They switched from gamma to linear space lighting, since it's the "correct" way of doing things FAILING to realize that the artistic decisions during the authoring of the game were made taken gamma into consideration, destroying the game's look in the process:

Bluepoint is also guilty of this sort of thing with its remasters but at least they're more subtle than this... except for the SotC's remake which is an aesthetic abomination compared to the original.

This is what happens when programmers mess with things they don't understand. They switched from gamma to linear space lighting, since it's the "correct" way of doing things FAILING to realize that the artistic decisions during the authoring of the game were made taken gamma into consideration, destroying the game's look in the process:

Bluepoint is also guilty of this sort of thing with its remasters but at least they're more subtle than this... except for the SotC's remake which is an aesthetic abomination compared to the original.

The remastered should have used a proper HDR lighting system and some good ole HBAO+ or HDAO shadowing. The over-bloom lighting in the original was so off-putting, IMHO.

You still can't leave that discussion, can you? ;)
Abomination.....lol

I was under the impression it still had slow down and I had beaten it on PS2 a couple times. Didn't warrant a repurchase when I had a PS3 and I haven't had the console for years. The PS4 Rebuild was worth buying because my wife wanted to play it and it's was worth it just for the updated visuals and to compare to it's original form.

Back