Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

People pay for to have accounts boosted all the time...as posted earlier Kevin Butler (etc).

As for the ongoing angst against Sony over this, 500 people give a shit Vs 500,000 who will try to buy 50,000 PS4 pros on 24th.

Live with the reality that no one cares about cross play... except my son who was pissed.

Live with the reality that no one cares about cross play... except my son who was pissed.
The cross play is a small part of the concern. Yeah, most people don't care. The major concern is playing a multiplat game on PS4 can prevent you accessing your paid for content on other platforms, including those you bought that content on.

The fact you don't appreciate that shows how quickly mildly serious issues can become forgotten.

The cross play is a small part of the concern. Yeah, most people don't care. The major concern is playing a multiplat game on PS4 can prevent you accessing your paid for content on other platforms, including those you bought that content on.

The fact you don't appreciate that shows how quickly mildly serious issues can become forgotten.

How is buying DLC for (let's say) FC5 on one console and not being able to play it on another any different?

For that matter, how about the whole game?

How is buying DLC for (let's say) FC5 on one console and not being able to play it on another any different?
You can still play that on the console you bought it on!!

If you buy content for FC5 on XB1, you can use it on XB1. You won't find yourself using it on PS4 and then unable to use it on XB1 ever again. Without warning. Unable to disconnect from PSN so that you can access your content on XB1. And without this problem when playing on any other platforms.

Maybe you don't understand the situation?

You can play Fortnite on XB1. You can then play it on PC, buy something, and use that item on PC and XB1. You can then play Fortnite on Switch, with access to the content you bought on PC, and can buy something on Switch for Fortnite and use that on PC and XB1. You can then play Fortnite on PS4 and access your content bought on PC and Switch. But you cannot then play on XB1 or Switch with that account - you get locked out of playing Fortnite on other platforms. If you think, "fuck this fucking shit, I want my content on Switch where I fucking bought it, fucking Sony!" (as you'd be entitled), you may try disconnecting your PSN account from your Epic account but it doesn't work. Connect to PS4 and all your content becomes locked out of other consoles. Without warning. And without any undo option. Without any negative consequences for Sony hijacking your account from other platforms.

Do you not see the difference?

you may try disconnecting your PSN account from your Epic account but it doesn't work. Connect to PS4 and all your content becomes locked out of other consoles. Without warning. And without any undo option

Didn't Epic fix this back in June? I posted about Epic's Fortnite account disconnect policy change. Prior to 14 June if you disconnected any linked console account from your Fortnite account, Epic wiped everything. Here is an Epic support post from April from an Xbox user who unlinked his account and lost everything.

I can't find anything post-14 June indicating this is still an issue. Linking to PS4 still results in Epic not letting you access your account from other devices but you you should just be able to unlink your PS4 without any consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Epic fix this back in June? I posted about Epic's Fortnite account disconnect policy change. Prior to 14 June if you disconnected any linked console account from your Fortnite account, Epic wiped everything. Here is an Epic support post from April from an Xbox user who unlinked his account and lost everything.

I can't find anything post-14 June indicating this is still an issue. Linking to PS4 still results in Epic not letting you access your account from other devices but you you should just be able to unlink your PS4 without any consequences.

Epic’s language is not clear.

All your progress, stats and purchases are saved to your Epic account. Unlinking a platform account removes your ability to access the associated data on that platform. But Epic doesn’t state whether that action is permanent or can be removed by simply relinking a platform account.

In relation to the post you listed. The guy never initially linked his gamertag with his Epic account. He got some type of error while playing so he logged into an existing Epic account not associated with his gamertag, spawned a new Fortnite account and linked it to his gamertag. When he launched Fortnite on his Xbox the console loaded his newly created account. He unlinked his new account from his gamertag but when he launched Fortnite on his Xbox the game simply spawned a second new account.

This happened because Epic doesn’t require you to create a full fledge Epic account to play Fortnite on the XB1. Since everything is stored on Epic’s servers, Epic gives you a nameless account which is associated with your gamertag. His actions disassociated his Epic nameless account with his gamertag and threw all his previous progress into limbo.

The proper action would have been to elevate or migrate his nameless account to a new full fledge Epic account or his existing full fledge Epic account.

Last edited:
Everything I've read on Twitter still says it's an issue.

Would be nice if Verge or whoever did a follow-up article.

Tommy McClain

I don't think this will happen, but if it does and other devs/publishers follow suit it just might be enough to stop Sony from screwing over the consumers.

---
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/0...-legends-on-systems-that-dont-allow-crossplay

Bethesda May Not Release The Elder Scrolls: Legends On Systems That Don't Allow Crossplay

At this year's QuakeCon in Grapevine, Texas, I sat down with Pete Hines, Bethesda's senior vice president of global marketing and communications, to talk about the forthcoming console version of The Elder Scrolls Legends. My first question was for Hines to give a general overview of what console players should expect from The Elder Scrolls: Legends when it eventually hits on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch.

"[The Elder Scrolls Legends] is a strategy card game that encompasses both single and multiplayer," Hines said. "It is both cross-platform play and cross-platform progress."

I cut him off at this point to clarify that the cross-play would only be on "certain systems," since I figured this wouldn't apply on PS4.

Hines replied, "It is our intention in order for the game to come out, it has to be those things on any system. We cannot have a game that works one way across everywhere else except for on this one thing. The way the game works right now on Apple, Google, Steam, and Bethesda.net, it doesn't matter where you buy your stuff, if you play it on another platform that stuff is there. It doesn't matter what platform you play on, you play against everyone else who is playing at that moment. There's no 'Oh, it's easier to control, or it has a better framerate on this system.' It's a strategy card game. It doesn't matter."

I asked him if that meant there's a chance it won't come out on PlayStation 4 if Sony doesn't change its stance. "We continue to talk to all of our platform partners," Hines added. "But those [terms] are essentially non-negotiable. We can't be talking about one version of Legends, where you take your progress with you, and another version where you stay within that ecosystem or its walled off from everything else. That is counter to what the game has been about."

I don’t play Fortnite So I don’t care about account issues. If I get a free hour I’ll test this using my Switch and PS4. For science!

You can still play that on the console you bought it on!!

If you buy content for FC5 on XB1, you can use it on XB1. You won't find yourself using it on PS4 and then unable to use it on XB1 ever again. Without warning. Unable to disconnect from PSN so that you can access your content on XB1. And without this problem when playing on any other platforms.

Maybe you don't understand the situation?

You can play Fortnite on XB1. You can then play it on PC, buy something, and use that item on PC and XB1. You can then play Fortnite on Switch, with access to the content you bought on PC, and can buy something on Switch for Fortnite and use that on PC and XB1. You can then play Fortnite on PS4 and access your content bought on PC and Switch. But you cannot then play on XB1 or Switch with that account - you get locked out of playing Fortnite on other platforms. If you think, "fuck this fucking shit, I want my content on Switch where I fucking bought it, fucking Sony!" (as you'd be entitled), you may try disconnecting your PSN account from your Epic account but it doesn't work. Connect to PS4 and all your content becomes locked out of other consoles. Without warning. And without any undo option. Without any negative consequences for Sony hijacking your account from other platforms.

Do you not see the difference?

Ah, I see now thanks for spelling it out for me! All I've heard is 'can't play my PS4 content on Switch so have to start again'. From my PoV that seems exactly like any DLC. So I understand the angst, what makes this game different?

I don’t play Fortnite So I don’t care about account issues. If I get a free hour I’ll test this using my Switch and PS4. For science!

Me either. I thought it was free to play? I have all 3 consoles and am happy to spend a couple quid to try out a few tests if there's anything I can do to help clarify anything?

Me either. I thought it was free to play? I have all 3 consoles and am happy to spend a couple quid to try out a few tests if there's anything I can do to help clarify anything?

You don't need to spend any money. Fortnite is free to play so you can set up your Epic account, play the game on PC/Xbox/Switch for long enough (a few minutes?) to clock up some stats to test with.

Then link your PSN ID with your Epic/Fortnite account. Your account should now be unusable on anything else. Now unlink PSN ID and see if it restores your account on PC/Xbox/Switch. For bonus points, see if you can re-link your PSN ID.

You can buy in game skins and stuff. One thing I'm confused by is where PC and mobile fits in. It's very fuzzy whether these are impacted the same way as consoles or not.

TBH this is the sort of cheap investigative journalism the media should have been doing, but modern media is crap. Rather just quote a bunch of random Tweets and call it a day.

Ok, well I'm on my hols but back soon so could test Tuesday...if we can refine some tests to try that'd be great rather than rush things and end up unable to test properly.

AFAIK, mobile iOS and PC were not impacted from the Sony platform lockouts on Fortnite, but Switch and Xbox were. I dont know if thats the situation today, or how Android plays into it since it was only recently that the sideloaded APK was released for that platform.

The primary issue, as far as it has been explained, is that even if you are a Fortnite player on PC and just linked your Fortnite account to your PSN account once just to try it out you are now forever banned from linking that account to a Nintendo or Xbox Live account to play on one of those systems. And there was no indication when you linked your account on PS4 that this would be the case. If you were a PC player who wants to also play on Switch this would, justifiably I think, piss you off. That's the practical impact. On principal, to link your account on PS4 you are required to give Sony a degree of ownership of it that the other console console makers don't demand. Whether this is understandable from Sony's perspective or not, should you be OK with it as a consumer who should be promoting their own interest?

You don't need to spend any money. Fortnite is free to play so you can set up your Epic account, play the game on PC/Xbox/Switch for long enough (a few minutes?) to clock up some stats to test with.

Then link your PSN ID with your Epic/Fortnite account. Your account should now be unusable on anything else. Now unlink PSN ID and see if it restores your account on PC/Xbox/Switch. For bonus points, see if you can re-link your PSN ID.

I’d bet it probably won’t return you permissions for other platforms.

I am guessing Sony required no cross play and/or no use of PS purchases on other platforms. And Epic complied by simply and permanently locking out other platforms when linked with a PSN account.

Epic probably has no mechanism to discriminate where items were purchased and simply went the easiest solution that is also the most restrictive and created this calamity.

I am guessing Sony required no cross play and/or no use of PS purchases on other platforms. And Epic complied by simply and permanently locking out other platforms when linked with a PSN account.

Except they allow that on PC and iOS but not on Switch or Xbox, so Sony must have defined what was and was not allowed.

Except they allow that on PC and iOS but not on Switch or Xbox, so Sony must have defined what was and was not allowed.

Given Epic FAQs the only crossplay Sony supports is the PC. Mobile and NSW support seems to be limited to the XB.

Anyway, my assertion is Sony required that no purchases through Sony’s store could be used on competing platforms (outside of the PC) and Epic simply used a lockout mechanism because it has no way to discriminate the point of origin for purchases.

For all platforms to coexist on the same Epic account and satisfy the before mentioned requirement by Sony, Epic would need a way to parse purchases in terms of their origin and then have a permission system in place so no items purchase through Sony’s store could be used on select competing platforms.

A lockout mechanism is a lot easier to implement if the current system was never designed to accommodate varying platform specific compatibility demands.

Back