Red Dead Redemption 2

stunning vistas, can't wait to find the secret horse breeds of the game, it was so fun in the original. I hope the PC version comes out at launch date -it'd be fine if it comes out later too, but a PC version is a must, imo-. I heard rumours that there isn't going to be a PC version, but those rumours seemed shady to say the least.

Which console is running the gameplay video? It looks really good.
I'm tipping a year after console release for the pc version and then a remastered version for next gen consoles at 2020 if only to recapitalize :). Also it's the PS4 Pro version as stated in the description.

To me this looks more impressive than Cyberpunk
Nar not quite. Character models in RDR2 look decent at best, the world isn't as busy nor is the lighting as complex. Cyberpunk to me is clearly a cut above. I'd say it's about Horizon ZD level maybe a bit less which is a tremendous achievement for a third party game. However the eventual PC version could be a different beast altogether.

"Captured entirely from in-game footage on the PlayStation®4 Pro, watch this introduction to Red Dead Redemption 2's gameplay in 4K."
Love the SSMS look of the fog and smoke. Hopefully other devs will take notice and apply the technique to their games.

I like the introduction of natural RPG mechanics that aren't jarring like Assassin's Creed Origins where your weapon can't kill somebody instantly because RPG reasons mechanics, i.e. arbitrary character levels. I think this worked well in GTA V as well with different stats that improved with usage and where it never felt like you had to grind anything.

Looks great too, they nailed the atmosphere and tone. Also really glad to not see any 'zany' characters, i.e. deliberate comic relief. If you want to be funny, make the humour smart, not borderline slapstick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nar not quite. Character models in RDR2 look decent at best, the world isn't as busy nor is the lighting as complex. Cyberpunk to me is clearly a cut above. I'd say it's about Horizon ZD level maybe a bit less which is a tremendous achievement for a third party game. However the eventual PC version could be a different beast altogether.

To be fair wasn't Cyberpunk running on two 1080ti's ?

Cyberpunk to me is clearly a cut above. I'd say it's about Horizon ZD level maybe a bit less which is a tremendous achievement for a third party game. However the eventual PC version could be a different beast altogether.
Visually, but if you watch NPCs in Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed or any other open world game you can name, they have way less variation of behaviours, animations and characterises of GTA V. Bethesda were on the right track with Skyrim, where NPCs have jobs and routines and which the radiant AI is supposed to improvise on but it falls apart pretty quickly in reality. Scale is one thing Rockstar do well and they've gradually improving the smoke and mirrors but hiding how shallow it really is. Go back to GTA III-era games (PS2) and you'll see peds and cars going in circles and generally be kind of aimless.

Visually, but if you watch NPCs in Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed or any other open world game you can name, they have way less variation of behaviours, animations and characterises of GTA V. Bethesda were on the right track with Skyrim, where NPCs have jobs and routines and which the radiant AI is supposed to improvise on but it falls apart pretty quickly in reality. Scale is one thing Rockstar do well and they've gradually improving the smoke and mirrors but hiding how shallow it really is. Go back to GTA III-era games (PS2) and you'll see peds and cars going in circles and generally be kind of aimless.
Origins begs to differ slightly ..far from perfect but not bad either even if it's just a façade..
BTW I find RDR 2's lighting & shading seems awkward as if they are not aming for a photorealistic rendition of the word but a more stylized look.

Last edited:
Yeah their lighting looks more "punchy" than natural, but the end result is extremely aesthetically pleasing and interesting looking to me. More so than most other games.
We call this the "Forza filter" aim for photorealism but f.,.sh.t up with punchy colors and contrast..‍:runaway:

We call this the "Forza filter" aim for photorealism but f.,.sh.t up with punchy colors and contrast..‍:runaway:
It may be so, but unlike Forza, the scene still looks very whole in the end and coherent. Nothing sticks out. Something they had already managed on PS360 GTAV, surprisingly. Not so much in old forzas. But admitedly, I can't say much of the more recent ones which I didn't play, except for the Horizon one in Australia, which is actually very coherent visually, but also not so punchy...

What I find intriguing about the look is, neither assets nor lighting look super complex or high fidelity. They are certainly very well crafted artistically, and by no means are they below average. But they aren't exuding polygons, or texels, shader effects, reflections or what have you like it's more impressive contemporaries. They look quite conservative on all those fronts actually. But the final result still look more pleasing and high-end then other more technically detailed titles. There's some real magic to how they make it all come together that is hard to put a finger on.

I had no interest in this game prior to this trailer. But this looks really, really good. Hopefully, the next trailers detail the missions better, I hope there's no fetch 3 rabbit skin types.

Reminds me of the TV show Deadwood which is still one of my favorites.

Yeah their lighting looks more "punchy" than natural, but the end result is extremely aesthetically pleasing and interesting looking to me. More so than most other games.
Since GTA IV, were they had the option to go more realistic over stylistic, they're seemingly aimed to recreate the atmosphere from movies, which are also obviously heavily staged/manipulated. If you want games to 'feel' like film you have to fiddle reality like they do in film :yes:

I had no interest in this game prior to this trailer. But this looks really, really good. Hopefully, the next trailers detail the missions better, I hope there's no fetch 3 rabbit skin types.

Hopefully yes. Rockstar are look to be repeating the trailer approach from GTA V, where as first few trailers were from cutscenes and canned sequences, then they did that five minute trailer with a female narrator explaining how big, open and varied the world was. After that GTA V trailer we got two more trailers before launch which was also two calendar months before release. :runaway:

I have had huge interest in this game but none of the prior trailers particularly kindled any excitement. Most of my excitement is my faith in Rockstar.

Back