AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Usually, you cannot pick both the performance increase and power reduction at the same time.

later edit: … at least not to their respective full extent. I could imagine that there's some middle ground where you can compromise between the two.
I was just reading the slide and assumed it was the mix they went with instead of bigger gains in any one or two areas.

Regardless , if they could simply drop the size of the chip and power usage they could have a great low end chip . Vega 56 / 64 performance would be welcomed in the lower end sub $300 prices. Release another chip in the power envelope of vega 56/64 that performs better for the higher end.

Just noticed that one of the largest e-tailers in Norway, Komplett.no has reduced the prices on RX 580 cards alot lately. They've gone from around 4000 NOK back in april/may, and are now offered at 2390 NOK, including taxes/vat etc, which in Norway are 25%. 2390 NOK is approximately USD 290-295.

Now, i'm just wondering if this just because the mining craze is finally over, or is this some kind of attempt at getting rid of inventory before something new comes along ? I havent really heard any rumors about new AMD cards coming out this summer/autumn however.

Usually, you cannot pick both the performance increase and power reduction at the same time.

later edit: … at least not to their respective full extent. I could imagine that there's some middle ground where you can compromise between the two.
Yeah both TSMC and GF in their own papers show it as either rather than both even for their 7nm process, just as you say and also how they presented in the past.
The actual performance envelope is less clear cut as you rightly say and would have guidelines for manufacturers looking to use the die, along with specific library-characteristics.

That slide is kinda confusing for many in way it is shown and various sites picking up just showing it.

Mining craze is resting atm, Nvidia has increased production, channel is full of inventory, prices go down, Radeons have to follow suit.

I don't understand. Why would Nvidia increase production after the mining craze and right before their new consumer lineup release? That seems like literally the worst time to increase production.

I agree that prices are dropping, but I think that can be explained by the reduction in mining demand (and perhaps some sales to get rid of old stock).

I guess they ordered more GPUs from TSMC while the mining hype still was real, then it subsided during the production cycle and now they're sitting on inventory. At least that's what the news suggested as of late.

I don't understand. Why would Nvidia increase production after the mining craze and right before their new consumer lineup release? That seems like literally the worst time to increase production.

I agree that prices are dropping, but I think that can be explained by the reduction in mining demand (and perhaps some sales to get rid of old stock).
GPU production doesn't happen overnight, it's a long process and they probably just overestimated how long mining craze lasts

GPU production doesn't happen overnight, it's a long process and they probably just overestimated how long mining craze lasts

I gotcha. The wording in that other post made me think the conclusion was that Nvidia increased production "because" the mining craze calmed.

The mining craze has always been so incredibly unpredictable that both IHVs were super cautious at increasing supply to the overwhelming demand.
However, this also meant they kept leaving money on the table especially since mid-2017 and that resulted in pressure from shareholders to increase supply. By the time nvidia decided to increase supply the mining market took another unexpected turn and fell really hard, again and again mostly due to stuff happening to bitcoin (bitcoin gold and coinrail hacks).

Supposedly, AMD also announced at Computex they would be increasing supply for Polaris 20 and Vega 10 based graphics cards, but I guess nvidia was more aggressive. Maybe because AMD is making all their PC CPUs, APUs and GPUs at GlobalFoundries which thanks to Ryzen's success didn't leave much room for a significant production increase of GPUs.

Regardless, despite all this the prices are still well over MSRP everywhere, so if this rumor of nvidia sitting on a stock pile of GPUs is true then they have probably preferred to just delay Turing a bit to drain the excess stock of Pascal cards.
It's not like nvidia is in a rush to replace Pascal before late 2018.

New AMD Semi-Custom SOC Combines the Power of AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Vega GPU for Gamers in China

As the #1 supplier of high-end processors and graphics to the gaming market, we are focused on how we can deliver products that power the ultimate gaming experiences. Today, we are excited to detail how we are bringing Ryzen processors and Radeon graphics to even more gamers through our work with Zhongshan Subor to create a new gaming PC and upcoming console for the China market. The PC and console are powered by a semi-custom “Zen” and “Vega”-based AMD SOC. The high-performance AMD chip combines an AMD Ryzen™ CPU (4 core/8 thread running at 3Ghz) with AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics (24CUs running at 1.3Ghzs) and 8GB of GDDR5 memory onto a single chip.

Fakenews? :runaway:

No,

youre-fake-news-15672697.png

But yeah, I guess it's either on-package HBM2, or off-package GDDR5. Not sure which, but I would tend to lean towards the latter, for cost reasons, and because 24 CUs shouldn't require an enormous amount of bandwidth.

That said, and depending on how successful this is (which may in turn depend on the degree to which the Chinese government cares about it), it could be a nice deal for AMD.

Polaris with Rapid Packed Math support?

The article does not state this APU has RPM. It says:

We are also committed to working across the developer community and with leading publishers such as Ubisoft to drive adoption of next-generation technologies like Rapid Packed Math that can deliver more realistic and immersive experiences. Not to mention our work as we equip the world’s most competitive eSports teams like Fnatic with powerful AMD Ryzen and AMD Vega gaming processors.

It is a general statement.

Yea, most probably a rebranded Polaris aka Vega-M. Just with a GDDR memory controller swapped in/activated. Btw is there a believable dieshot of Vega M?

I think probability is pretty high this is really a Vega chip. With the announcement saying it's a SoC, (KBL-G isn't), so it's really a new chip. And, gpu clock is 1.3Ghz. While this is doable with Polaris it definitely isn't something you want to do in such an APU (as the power draw goes through the roof for little gain). There were rumors of "Fenghuang Raven" since ages, so I guess it indeed materializes...

I think probability is pretty high this is really a Vega chip. With the announcement saying it's a SoC, (KBL-G isn't), so it's really a new chip. And, gpu clock is 1.3Ghz. While this is doable with Polaris it definitely isn't something you want to do in such an APU (as the power draw goes through the roof for little gain). There were rumors of "Fenghuang Raven" since ages, so I guess it indeed materializes...
"SoC" term is used rather loosely these days, even GPUs have been called SoCs by AMD on certain occasions IIRC.

Anyway, assuming there's no miscommunication happening, GDDR5 means that this "single chip" has to be huge MCM to fit 8 GDDR5 chips on it, too. The big question is whether the CPU & GPU are one chip or 2 chips.

Well there are rumours of a 12nm Polaris as well. Do we know what is the process used for this APU?

Well there are rumours of a 12nm Polaris as well. Do we know what is the process used for this APU?
Upon further pondering, I think it's pretty safe to assume the CPU & GPU are actually one SoC, I can't see making 4C Zen as a separate chip sensible in any fashion. Also sharing same memory is a whole lot easier.

Back