2 in 1 with pen inside and thunderbolt, anything besides yoga x1

Sxotty

Legend
Hey is there anything else? I need to find something in the price range of a yoga 920 or less. The thinkpad is too darn expensive. I really want something that the pen goes inside so it is not lost all the time. This used to be normal in the old days before people became obsessed with thinness. The 920 has the dumb usb clip to put pen in, but it will get yanked out and blocks the port. The HP spectre has no place for pen. I am not looking for artwork here, just something with thunderbolt and active pen inside.

I don't think you'll find anything with a stylus that is kept inside the tablet. It's not so much because the tablets need to be thin, but rather because OEMs want the pens to be thick for ergonomic reasons.

As for Thunderbolt, there's the older Asus T303 that sells for cheap nowadays. Beware that the newer model T304 has no Thunderbolt.
The Miix 720 also has Thunderbolt.
These are a bit smaller than the yoga 920 since they're detachable 2-in-1s (Surface Pro competitors). The only one I know of this kind that has a quad-core 15W CPU and Thunderbolt 3 is the Thinkpad X1 Tablet.

On the same size as the 920 you have the Surface Book 2 13.5". It's more expensive than even the X1 Tablet, but any version with the Core i7 already brings a GTX 1050 dGPU within the keyboard.
Personally, this would be my ideal solution, and you can get one for as little as ~$1600 (i7 + 8GB RAM + 256GB NVMe + GTX 1050) in the US.

I don't think you'll find anything with a stylus that is kept inside the tablet. It's not so much because the tablets need to be thin, but rather because OEMs want the pens to be thick for ergonomic reasons. [\QUOTE]

I would argue those are two sides to the same coin. I would like a rounded thicker edge to hold and a large pen could fit there. Ah well won't happen. I also find bezels fine so screens don't break. Surface books are quite nice but basically non repairable which sinks for a $1600 machine, I am so quaint I know.

You send it back and get a refurbished one that they did some black magic on or just reinstalled windows and hoped for the best. I feel like an old man here, shaking my fist at non repairable and non replaceable batteries.

Hey is there anything else? I need to find something in the price range of a yoga 920 or less. The thinkpad is too darn expensive. I really want something that the pen goes inside so it is not lost all the time. This used to be normal in the old days before people became obsessed with thinness. The 920 has the dumb usb clip to put pen in, but it will get yanked out and blocks the port. The HP spectre has no place for pen. I am not looking for artwork here, just something with thunderbolt and active pen inside.

Might be too late for you, but I believe the Asus Switch 7 Black Edition clips the pen into the chassis on the side.

Some reviewers have commented that because of this the stylus feels a bit thin.

I almost got one due to the large size (13" screen) and I think it uses a Wacom digitizer. Unfortunately the battery life isn't great and the stand can be a bit fiddly. I ended up getting a 15" Surface Book instead.

Regards,
SB

Thanks SB. It certainly doesn't hurt to have more options and will perhaps help someone else. I think my desire has ebbed b/c I got a decent elitebook from work now that does enough to keep me happy so I do not feel the desire to get something anymore.

Back