AMD Vega Hardware Reviews

My local Microcenter has the Asus STRIX 64 at $1029 USD, but they supposedly offer a discount on that if you're doing a build.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a new build, but the 1080Ti would be my poison since I'm currently gaming with 2x1070s.
Well if you take the plunge you can sell me one of your old 1070s :) I am trying to wait for 1070ti to go back to reasonable price along with ram though. It will happen someday I hope.

Vega/GCN Gen 5 offers on average the same performance benefit to Fiji/GCN Gen 3 per clock as does Polaris/GCN Gen 4 in contrast to GCN Gen 3.

But Vega has the DSBR for reduced overdraw, L2$ coherent ROPs, a better Workload Distrubutor for better management of context storage and small primitive instances.
The Infinity Fabric also has much better read/write latencies in regards to the texture cache according to AMD.

In Gears of War 4 Fiji is even faster than Vega at 4K.

It's like GCN Gen 5 has some attributes which makes it slower in certain cases or negativly balance out positive improvements.

Did Vega changed the internall state machine and generates other Shader types even without the Primitive Shader story?
Like the prolog and epilog stuff/monolithic shaders which might be less efficient in certain cases?

Can the Infinity Fabric be a bottleneck? AMD says the latency is much better but how about the bandwidth? It's 512 GB/s or the same as the VRAM speed but was the internal fabric at Fiji faster?

I flicked through it.

tl;dw The 1070 is better price/perf overall at the moment compared to Vega 56.

If you are already invested in Freesync (or have one of the TVs that now supports it and do your PC gaming on a TV) you may have a compelling reason to go with a Vega card over the Nvidia equivalent. Otherwise.....

If you are already invested in Freesync (or have one of the TVs that now supports it and do your PC gaming on a TV) you may have a compelling reason to go with a Vega card over the Nvidia equivalent. Otherwise.....
Yes he does talk about that Freesync/Gsync factor briefly and it's always been such. If I had a Freesync and was choosing between the 2 then yes, the Vega 56 would be the right choice and you're not really sacrificing much at all.

Back