PC tripping out when gaming. Power consumption or heat?

TomRL

Newcomer
My PC has been completely tripping out within twenty minutes of playing a game. It varies a lot between games. Thinking it was the CPU, I replaced the thermal paste. It tends to run no higher than 85 degree's Fahrenheit. According to AMD Overdrive, the thermal margin is pretty much always at 8 degrees Celsius (Even when I reduce the clock and voltage massively. Usually when I start playing, it slowly creeps up tp 17 degrees and then the computer completely shuts off. I've opened the event viewer, and it only notes that the PC shut down unexpectedly. No other information provided. My PC is plugged into the wall, not a power strip.
Specs:
AMD RX 480
FX 8350
Old ass 8gb ram (Total ram used doesn't seem to correlate with the system shutting down. Ram speed might be)
Windows 10

If I reboot the PC too soon after it tripping, it will trip out again immediately. Is that a high-temperature symptom?

My PC has been completely tripping out within twenty minutes of playing a game. It varies a lot between games. Thinking it was the CPU, I replaced the thermal paste. It tends to run no higher than 85 degree's Fahrenheit. According to AMD Overdrive, the thermal margin is pretty much always at 8 degrees Celsius (Even when I reduce the clock and voltage massively. Usually when I start playing, it slowly creeps up tp 17 degrees and then the computer completely shuts off. I've opened the event viewer, and it only notes that the PC shut down unexpectedly. No other information provided. My PC is plugged into the wall, not a power strip.
Specs:
AMD RX 480
FX 8350
Old ass 8gb ram (Total ram used doesn't seem to correlate with the system shutting down. Ram speed might be)
Windows 10

If I reboot the PC too soon after it tripping, it will trip out again immediately. Is that a high-temperature symptom?
Your power supply could also be tripping. it will do that if you get close to the limit. I had to upgrade to 750W Gold to support 3x1070 with stability.

Your power supply could also be tripping. it will do that if you get close to the limit. I had to upgrade to 750W Gold to support 3x1070 with stability.
I did consider that. 17 degrees seems a bit low for the whole thing to trip out. So I lowered the voltage and clocks on my GPU and CPU, thinking that it might reduce the load on the PSU, and it was still tripping. Is there anything I can do to accommodate this PSU without replacing it? And is there something I can do to figure out for sure that it's the PSU before I make purchasing decisions?
I used an online calculator and apparently my PC doesn't require any more than 550watts and I currently have a 650watt PSU. Could it just be faulty?

Last edited:
I did consider that. 17 degrees seems a bit low for the whole thing to trip out. So I lowered the voltage and clocks on my GPU and CPU, thinking that it might reduce the load on the PSU, and it was still tripping. Is there anything I can do to accommodate this PSU without replacing it? And is there something I can do to figure out for sure that it's the PSU before I make purchasing decisions?
I used an online calculator and apparently my PC doesn't require any more than 550watts and I currently have a 650watt PSU. Could it just be faulty?
If you have just a regular power supply (not even bronze level) I think you're over limit.

650W supports up to 450W and I would consider that being close to the limit. Limits are higher with Gold etc, but yea, I was tripping on a 650W hitting < 500W

If you have just a regular power supply (not even bronze level) I think you're over limit.

650W supports up to 450W and I would consider that being close to the limit. Limits are higher with Gold etc, but yea, I was tripping on a 650W hitting < 500W
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks

Remove some stuff and bring it below 450 and you should see stability. IE. toss your video card and see if it still trips.

I had to use a voltage meter and connect my computer to that to see the power draw. I’m usually about 450W when mining. And I needed a 750W gold to keep it stable without worry.

Remove some stuff and bring it below 450 and you should see stability. IE. toss your video card and see if it still trips.

I had to use a voltage meter and connect my computer to that to see the power draw. I’m usually about 450W when mining. And I needed a 750W gold to keep it stable without worry.
Your issue was probably more related to amperage on different lines than total wattage. Higher quality PSUs have better amperage/fewer lines.

Back