Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now TCL is talking about producing OLED but it may be a couple of years.

An affordable decent quality OLED display would be amazing. It would also indicate good yields and increased manufacturing capacity at LG to sell panels to budget TV makers. I still haven't heard about other panel makers starting up OLED production for 55/65" panels, so I'm assuming LG would be providing the panel.

Regards,
SB

No it sounded like they'd manufacture their own.

Ah, color me skeptical then as making large OLED panels is much more difficult than LCD panels. Both Samsung and Sony abandoned initiatives to make TV sized consumer OLED panels. I believe Samsung are still doing R&D on it, but still nothing WRT to a consumer product after they stopped making OLED TVs.

Regards,
SB

Building a whole OLED fab from scratch is a hell of an investment. Then you have to think about what results they’d get. Probably LG.

What I'm reading on AVS is that it would be part of an LCD fab and that they're working on a printing process.

I don't know if LG has the exclusive license or patents on WOLED.

Or if they can find another process.

If they can make OLEDs cheap, why limit themselves to the NA market? And what tech have they got that the others haven't tried including the two giant TV manufacturers with decades of TV R&D? Seems highly implausible.

We don't know how cheap they will be.

But it's not like LG invented OLED and only they're able to manufacture them in large sizes.

Other companies have tried and to their credit, Lg stuck with it.

I do recall supposed industry experts predicting years ago that eventually the Chinese were going to enter the market.

Already Lg has high market share, if not the highest market share, for TVs over $2000 while other manufacturers fight for meager margins on lower-priced TVs.

So it's inevitable that others will try to compete in that segment.

Other companies have tried and to their credit, Lg stuck with it.
These other companies couldn't make them profitable enough to compete after years of investment. What can TCL do that they couldn't, especially factoring in they sell to a smaller market than the others and at the budget price range with lower margins? They must have less resources to work with, have spent less time on it, and yet apparently are going to out-compete all the big TV players.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is implausible without any evidence that they have something special up their sleeves (deal with existing OLED startup using new tech, for example). It sounds like the console-type rumours such as 'I heard Wii has an AI processor.' Unsubstantiated rumours for implausible developments turn out to be false more often than not.

These other companies couldn't make them profitable enough to compete after years of investment. What can TCL do that they couldn't, especially factoring in they sell to a smaller market than the others and at the budget price range with lower margins? They must have less resources to work with, have spent less time on it, and yet apparently are going to out-compete all the big TV players.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is implausible without any evidence that they have something special up their sleeves (deal with existing OLED startup using new tech, for example). It sounds like the console-type rumours such as 'I heard Wii has an AI processor.' Unsubstantiated rumours for implausible developments turn out to be false more often than not.

https://www.oled-info.com/tclcsot-plans-build-11-gen-lcdoled-tv-fab-shenzhen-2021

Apparently, TCL disclosed this in a financial report. Can't verify with the original source since it's in Chinese.

Also, TCL are a pretty big deal. They may not sell in many markets, but what markets they do sell in are big ones and they do very well in them.

Okay. I was confusing TCL with Vizio - obviously have no idea about these brands or TV models.

Plus somebody making a few configurations of OLED panel for themselves won't require the kind of investment of Samsung and LG, who are both users and suppliers of OLED panels so need very flexible fabs. OLED production isn't much different from LEDs and other semiconductors and the company who hold the fundamental patent portfolio, Universal Display, are non-partisan.

Add in that some Universal Display's patents have expired and many more are due to expire in the coming years. This will likely be a shot in the arm for OLED R&D. :yep2:

Hmm well still seems OLED requires further R&D to overcome burn-in when used beyond general viewing.
At South Korean airport LG Electronics replaced their 2018 OLED models installed in January with LCD versions due to burn-in: https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/
In some ways one cannot be too surprised due to the nature of the information presented on those lounge screens but it seems it was very noticable, which raises its viability outside of general TV-film consumer viewing.

So is OLED suffering with burn-in worse than Plasma (once the tech matured) or is it about the same?
From my experience Plasma TV once the tech matured were great for casual home tv-film viewing, albeit not very enviro friendly.

From what I read, they're not the same issue (yet). Currently OLED has burn-in while the last 4-5 years of Plasma only has image-retention. There's no indication that the OLED set can be nursed back to health after running a series of sweeps/patterns to even-out the fade, lifetime balancing, of the OLEDs.

Image retention can be removed after displaying different content for a brief period of time, while there's no fix for burn-in.

Hmm well still seems OLED requires further R&D to overcome burn-in when used beyond general viewing.
At South Korean airport LG Electronics replaced their 2018 OLED models installed in January with LCD versions due to burn-in: https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/
In some ways one cannot be too surprised due to the nature of the information presented on those lounge screens but it seems it was very noticable, which raises its viability outside of general TV-film consumer viewing.

So is OLED suffering with burn-in worse than Plasma (once the tech matured) or is it about the same?
From my experience Plasma TV once the tech matured were great for casual home tv-film viewing, albeit not very enviro friendly.

What's interesting is that they only replaced 1 of 40 OLED TVs (all of them 2018 models). Hopefully there will be updates if the other 39 OLED TVs at the airport end up being replaced as well, or if they are relatively unaffected (different content shown on those?).

Also the burn in appears to be mostly confined to the area of the screen that never changed over that 3 month period (the white dividing line). Although I imagine the title bar should have shown equal burn in as I don't imagine that is changed any more frequently than the white dividing bar. However, that wasn't cited as suffering the same burn in as the white bar. Curious.

[edit] Original article

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-burn-in-at-incheon-airport-reignites-controversy/

Clarification to my first post. There's 69 OLED TVs installed at the airport. Only 1 of which has been replaced so far.

A linked source article about burn in effects on 2017 LG OLED TVs was interesting.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

The burn in is quite noticeable for content that doesn't change. TVs were left on for 20 hours per day showing the same 5.5 hour video loop for 36 weeks. So, an extreme example, but enough that I won't be risking using one as a PC display. I had been seriously considering it.

I imagine all the panels at the airport must be showing at least some evidence of burn in, so I wonder why only 1 was replaced?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
What's interesting is that they only replaced 1 of 40 OLED TVs (all of them 2018 models). Hopefully there will be updates if the other 39 OLED TVs at the airport end up being replaced as well, or if they are relatively unaffected (different content shown on those?).

Also the burn in appears to be mostly confined to the area of the screen that never changed over that 3 month period (the white dividing line). Although I imagine the title bar should have shown equal burn in as I don't imagine that is changed any more frequently than the white dividing bar. However, that wasn't cited as suffering the same burn in as the white bar. Curious.

Speed of degradation is dependent on intensity. A white dividing line on an airport screen would be expected to be a worst case scenario.

Speed of degradation is dependent on intensity. A white dividing line on an airport screen would be expected to be a worst case scenario.

Sure, but the title above the bar "International Departures" I don't imagine changes much. Although maybe it changes languages and thus changes unlike the bar?

Also, why only the 1 TV? I imagine other displays serving up departure information were installed in a similar timeframe.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back