No VR for XBox One X

Spin: VR delayed for Xbox TWO in 2019 or 2020!

A subset of the 4m XboneX market doesnt seem like a worthwhile market to pursue. PSVR ratio to console base is what, 1:40? 100000 XBVR's would be a sad install base indeed.

I’m unsure of the future of VR, but given the state MS is in with their platform, it seems good to drop this and focus on other areas of opportunity

VR definitely needs to mature more. Maybe someday in the future it'll be at a point where it remains compelling to a lot of people rather than a relatively tiny niche outside of mobile phone VR media.

Also a good idea for Microsoft to focus on getting a good stable of new IP. The worst thing they can do is rush it even if they are feeling pressure, hopefully they take their time and allow any new IP games to properly develop.

Regards,
SB

I think they will try and push out HoloLens with the xbox next. 2021 would have them on the 3rd or 4th edition of the tech. So it would make sense.

would be interesting as you'd be able to play a game anywhere in your house or even over the internet. Have two options , a streaming service and then a physical box in your house for higher res graphics. They can even make enhanced games that use the tv plus the hololens

Last edited:
What I wonder is "why not".

Microsoft went through all the trouble of developing the Windows Mixed Reality standard, the XboneX is definitely capable of driving VR games and there's already a bunch of VR games at Microsoft Store whose devs would gladly make a XboneX binary with fixed image quality settings. Plus some publishers/developers like Bethesda definitely seem to be preemptively investing on VR despite the rather low returns at the moment, so those would also jump at the opportunity.

It's not like Microsoft would have to spend millions on the XboneX accepting some VR titles through WMR headsets, it would probably be almost free for them, even.

Maybe the main reason is Microsoft wouldn't want the "which platform is best for VR" comparisons. Then Sony could easily win given their 1st-party investment.

What I wonder is "why not".

Microsoft went through all the trouble of developing the Windows Mixed Reality standard, the XboneX is definitely capable of driving VR games and there's already a bunch of VR games at Microsoft Store whose devs would gladly make a XboneX binary with fixed image quality settings. Plus some publishers/developers like Bethesda definitely seem to be preemptively investing on VR despite the rather low returns at the moment, so those would also jump at the opportunity.

It's not like Microsoft would have to spend millions on the XboneX accepting some VR titles through WMR headsets, it would probably be almost free for them, even.

Maybe the main reason is Microsoft wouldn't want the "which platform is best for VR" comparisons. Then Sony could easily win given their 1st-party investment.

I think one of the reasons is the OG Xbox One being a potato for VR. They would have a fragmented and very small market (much much smaller whan what Sony already has).

I think one of the reasons is the OG Xbox One being a potato for VR. They would have a fragmented and very small market (much much smaller whan what Sony already has).
if the ps4 does vr fine then the xbox one should be able to do it also. The power diffrences are not as large as the difference between a decent pc capable of vr and the ps4.

I think they don't want to sega the situation. Just let the x stand as the best place for graphics and wait until a relaunch when sony is resetting itself and make a system with add ons

if the ps4 does vr fine then the xbox one should be able to do it also. The power diffrences are not as large as the difference between a decent pc capable of vr and the ps4.

I think they don't want to sega the situation. Just let the x stand as the best place for graphics and wait until a relaunch when sony is resetting itself and make a system with add ons

Define "fine". The OG PS4 has to render some PSVR games at 720p and under resolutions sometimes in order to keep acceptable frame rate, like in the case of RE7. The OG Xbox One frequently runs non-VR games under OG PS4 resolution and even under 720p, so you really think that OG Xbox One would be able to give a satisfactory experience in VR?

MS never said VR was coming to XB1 and we shoudln't expect them to try or even want to. It was mentioned it would come to XB1X which has the power to do a decent job. The question is thus why not support it on XB1X (regardless of the existence of XB1)? Maybe they consider the audience not worth the effort of implementing and managing Windows MR and MR games on the system?

How transparent is it to implement Windows stuff on XB1X? Will devs need to port rather than just recompile?

MS never said VR was coming to XB1 and we shoudln't expect them to try or even want to. It was mentioned it would come to XB1X which has the power to do a decent job. The question is thus why not support it on XB1X (regardless of the existence of XB1)? Maybe they consider the audience not worth the effort of implementing and managing Windows MR and MR games on the system?

How transparent is it to implement Windows stuff on XB1X? Will devs need to port rather than just recompile?
don't want to half ass a console implementation. It's part of the main product line or not, unfortunately can't treat the console space like a free market. People expect curated experiences and support

As there's no such thing as an XBox VR headset, you're naturally targeting a certain subset who are aware they would need a Windows MR headset from a third party. If it's trivial to implement, I wouldn't be averse for quality reasons; I can't see it being much different from PC support or other peripherals (eg. Guitar Hero, steering wheels).

Maybe they need to figure out how to get SteamVR support on the (next) console so they have something more than just Halo and Minecraft for WMR. :V

Also push an Xbox Elite SKU that's more optimal for VR (also enhances base games!) /s

In which case I'm guessing there's a technical limitation to supporting headsets and WMR on XB1X. If the software is there and all you need is to support the existing Windows headset API, it shouldn't be a problem, and there's no harm in it.

I'm guessing Windows support on XB1 is a little non-standard and they can't just drop Windows content into the XB1 ecosystem, which'll change next box that'll have, I'm guessing, a unified Windows Store front and the ability to run Windows apps bought through the store as well as Xbox specific titles.

In which case I'm guessing there's a technical limitation to supporting headsets and WMR on XB1X. If the software is there and all you need is to support the existing Windows headset API, it shouldn't be a problem, and there's no harm in it.

I'm guessing Windows support on XB1 is a little non-standard and they can't just drop Windows content into the XB1 ecosystem, which'll change next box that'll have, I'm guessing, a unified Windows Store front and the ability to run Windows apps bought through the store as well as Xbox specific titles.

Based on my experience I think it's less of a technical limitation and more that the consumer experience is not where it needs to be for the console market. PC users, and their higher tolerance for jank, are effectively acting as beta-testers to (hopefully) deliver a more polished plug and play experience for console down the road. The openness of the platform is working against them here as I expect that they could deliver something more polished if they took control of the hardware and focused on specific applications (games & entertainment) instead of relying on partners for hardware and trying to create an broader framework for VR/AR applications to be developed.

It's hard to assume there are technical limitations. WMR headsets require HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 connections, both of which are available on the XboneX. Its tech specs are comfortably higher than WMR's own minimum specs too.

Which is why I'm more inclined to marketing reasons and brand perception. I really believe supporting WMR on the XboneX would come almost for free, but seeing how the direct competition is so far then Microsoft may just be avoiding it altogether.

The ps4 also has horrible tracking
As a PSVR user, I disagree.

Based on my experience I think it's less of a technical limitation and more that the consumer experience is not where it needs to be for the console market. PC users, and their higher tolerance for jank, are effectively acting as beta-testers to (hopefully) deliver a more polished plug and play experience for console down the road. The openness of the platform is working against them here as I expect that they could deliver something more polished if they took control of the hardware and focused on specific applications (games & entertainment) instead of relying on partners for hardware and trying to create an broader framework for VR/AR applications to be developed.
MS are open to jank; Xbox Live Creator's Program allows for beta testing, early access, and broken tat.

It's hard to assume there are technical limitations. WMR headsets require HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 connections, both of which are available on the XboneX. Its tech specs are comfortably higher than WMR's own minimum specs too.
Yeah, the hardware's fine. But is the software in place? Is XB1X capable of taking and running a Windows built application and run Windows VM headset drivers, or would it need ports?

Back