PUBG - PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds [XO, PS4]

Wow the whole game is 5.2GB? what a refreshing change... (I know it's limited size)

Has really hurt the game's sales eh? :LOL:

A google says Fortnight has locked to 30 in a recent patch, so it must be deemed "ok" for these TPS battle royale games on console.

I tried the new Fortnite patch yesterday. Runs like a dream compared to pubg. You can even unlock the framerate and it feels very nice on the One X.

Yes, PUBG is 5.2GB total on xbox. The "patches" tend to be re-downloading the entire game.

For all its problems, the game is very fun and has me hooked, but I still think some other company like Ubisoft (Far Cry, Tom Clancy) or Dice (Bad Company 3) will come along and just destroy it with a highly optimized version of the same thing with better graphics and better world density.

Edit: I'm not celebrating the little guy getting crushed by the EAs of the world, but it almost seems inevitable. At least on PC PUBG is less at risk, because fairly average gaming hardware can run it quite well at 1080p.

Last edited:
Patch 6 is out. Nothing major. More optimization and crash fixes. List of bugs fixed and some map exploits fixed. You can now turn on auto-run by double flicking the left stick while standing still.

I'm wondering how licensing UE works. PC people say the game is running UE 4.14, but One X support wasn't added to the UDK until 4.16 or 4.17.

Patch #7. Notes about improvements to input lag, visual improvements to reticles on One/One S, some tweaks to make cars even more vulnerable to damage, and a list of bug fixes.

New patch really did lower input lag significantly. It actually feels smooth now, with the huge caveat that it still has frame rate issues. And I think there may be more of a frame pacing issue now. Feels jittery. Maybe something changed with vsync and buffering.

Very much "two steps forward, one step back" kind of progress with the game. At least it's forward progress.

Last edited:
Haven't posted here in a while. Patches have continued. They've slowed the patch cycle down to 2-3 weeks to try to make more significant changes. They have an issue with releasing new bugs in patches. Today's patch made some inventory management changes and more gradual performance improvements.

Overall, I'd say the progress is a little too slow. They've gotten rid of most of the crashes, but there are still significant issues on Xbox One/One S when you land after parachuting. It can take a long time for objects to load in. Room after room will be empty and you can actually get stuck in geometry as it loads in. I have a One X, so my stuff loads in very quickly, which is an unfair advantage. Input lag has improved since launch, so in general aiming is more responsive.

Besides that, there are still performance issues as seen in a fairly recent digital foundry performance test, which does not appear to have changed in this patch. For some reason the devs stubbornly have this game running at full 1080p on base Xbox and full 4k on Xbox One X. In situations with smoke, or transparencies like blood splatter, or the blue wall, performance will drop. What ends up happening is juddery control during gunfights. Most of the game is smooth when there's no action. They also seem to run depth of field at a resolution that's too high, which causes performance issues. It should be easy for them to even out some of those drops just by dropping resolution, but it's a compromise they're unwilling to make.I'd prefer if they lowered resolution to even out the performance and then raise it later if possible. Parachuting in is still pretty bad, but it's honestly not an area where performance is critical, so it should be way down on the list of things to fix.

The game is fun, but I'm getting a little burnt out on the map. They said the desert Miramar map would be early spring, so hopefully soon.

This is Digital Foundry testing patch #10 (I think). Patch #11 came out today.

I started playing again after a break, and game is still as exhilarating as before. Such a fun [and tense] time.

I also almost got a solo chicken dinner. I was in a really bad spot, zone was pushing me and last enemy was much further away than I thought. When I started shooting at him I was at <1% of health, but I managed to get him down to <20%.

Game has been struggling along on xbox. Still plauged by crashing and performance issues. There's a major update for xbox at the end of the month, promising to iron out crashes and performance. I'd say it's taking too long to get things where they should be.

Game has been struggling along on xbox. Still plauged by crashing and performance issues. There's a major update for xbox at the end of the month, promising to iron out crashes and performance. I'd say it's taking too long to get things where they should be.
if Fortnite wasn't there performing as well as it does at 60fps and 4K, PUBG would probably be doing fine.

Except unfortunately that just isn't eh reality, and I've always told many people that PUBG will be knocked off as soon as another company delivers the same service just mechanically sound. And here we are.

Realm Royale is the new hotness. Its going to be this way for the foreseeable future as more BR titles fill niches and the new flavor of the quarter leap frogs the other. PubG is a mess on the PC as well even when you throw a ton of hardware at the problem so its no surprise it performs like it does on console.

Yeah the BR gamescape is going to get pretty crowded over the next year or so. COD BR, BF BR, Realm Royale is drawing a ton of attention.

But one thing that gives PUBG hope is that while a lot of players left it for other BR games, many of them want to go back to PUBG, but aren't because of all the cheating on PC and the performance problems on XBO.

Basically the gameplay loop in PUBG is very good, and many people wish they were playing PUBG instead of other BR games, but don't due to a host of reasons that are within PUBG Corps. power to fix. They won't get back all of the people that left obviously (some are much more satisfied with the more condensed Fortnite formula, for instance), but if they can fix some of the more major problems, a lot of players would probably come back.

Regards,
SB

is pubg PC is more fun than fortnite or pubg mobile?

i tried fortnite on PS4 and its super boring, same with pubg mobile. now im curious with pubg PC.

its more or less like fortnite? way more fun? whats so different?

Pubg gameplay loop is fantastic but the bloody hackers on PC aaarrrgghhhh. It's so bad that I would rather play on console if they could just lock the frame rate at 30.

How is it better? The general gameplay is the same I suspect.
"Better" is very subjective of course. It all depends on what you prefer. PUBG is more of a realistic tactical shooter in a BR environment.

PC hackers has been massively massively reduced. I'm not sure hacking is all that common anymore.

As for the console version, I was very willing to be patient with it, but they're 6 months in, and crashing is still a major concern. They released a hotfix today that's supposed to fix some major memory leaks that occur at the end of a match when memory is not properly released. They've made huge progress on input lag, but the framerate still dips at the worst times, and the crashes are just unacceptable. I know it's early access, but when progress is stagnant in a lot of important facets of the game, it's a problem.

Back