Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiled resources never really got anywhere then...
would TR have reduced CPU load? to me it sounds like it's supposed to reduce memory size (IIRC megatextures)
also a little surprised that texture sizes increase CPU load on streaming.
* referring to console I mean, I can see why CPU would matter on PC. You still need to copy from RAM to VRAM

only other i can think of is decompressing textures, but I thought that was handled by the GPU?

Last edited:
I was responding to the video rather than the current line of discussion. The video speaks about the weak texture quality on XB1 and how the extra 4GBs of XB1X is needed to provide decent assets. TR is/was supposed to largely solve our RAM limits. :(

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-on-ps4-offer-pro-owners-a-gameplay-advantage

The often simple visuals are all the more surprising bearing in mind the core rendering set-up. Only PlayStation 4 Pro receives native 1080p (the machine's 4K output simply upscales the basic full HD resolution), while the standard console renders at a curious 1696x954. It serves to highlight that unlike its competitors, H1Z1 isn't running on a state-of-the-art triple-A engine and the meagre pixel-counts are almost certainly in service of the game's intended 60 frames per second target. The high frame-rate is a key point of differentiation with PUBG, and certainly on PlayStation 4 Pro, it's a transformative experience - almost, but not quite, PC-like.

To cut to the chase, the Pro runs mostly within a 50-60fps performance window, which drops to 40-50fps on the base console. It may not sound like much on paper, but the end result is cleaner, crisper response from the controls and a clear advantage for owners of the enhanced hardware. Looking more closely at how frames are delivered in combat, base users get more dips to the 50ms frame-time mark, again giving the feeling of a less responsive experience. In a game targeting low latency controls with all-or-nothing shoot-outs, this is clearly not ideal.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dark-souls-remastered-console-pc-face-off

Dark Souls Remastered tested on all consoles - and only one locks to 60fps

On the surface, it's frustrating that Xbox One X delivers the same resolution as PS4 Pro, bearing in mind the big increases in GPU compute, memory bandwidth and available RAM. Potentially, a push to a native 4K would be in-step with that leap in power - as we've seen in games like Resident Evil 7 - but 1800p is where it's fixed. In theory, a dynamic resolution could have been a much better fit here, optimising the resolution of each frame based on whether 60fps is sustainable. As it stands though, there is a performance overhead on both machines - especially Xbox One X - that isn't tapped into at points, which is a shame.

So, with Blighttown fixed, the stress points are very different. While a majority of regular play is locked to 60fps, major bosses do still pose a challenge. For example, the Great Wolf Sif boss hammers these consoles hard - a segment that drops to just 27fps on Xbox One, 30fps on PS4 and 44fps on Pro. Only Xbox One X, with its surfeit of memory bandwidth, manages to make the grade, retaining its perfect 60fps lock. This is by far the most impactful stress test we could find in the game and while other bosses also cause issues to a lesser extent, the pattern in performance remains the same, and it's only Microsoft's enhanced console that offers a full-on 60fps lock without exception. Looking to the PC version, both AMD's Radeon RX 580 and Nvidia's GTX 1060 - GPUs with broadly equivalent horsepower to Xbox One X - once again deliver a locked 60fps at the same 1800p, but struggle with alpha-intensive effects at full 4K. You'll need GTX 1070 or RX Vega 56 hardware to lock at max settings at ultra HD resolution.

In the final analysis, Dark Souls Remastered does a good job of polishing up a truly classic game and the presentation holds up well on modern day 1080p and 4K displays - a testament to the quality of From Software's core assets. Technically it is clearly something of a barebones remaster though, but despite this, it is still a success in many ways. Let's put it this way: attempts by a third party external studio to improve the art and effects could have compromised From's original vision - and thankfully, that has definitely not happened. This is Dark Souls as it should be, liberated from the technical limitations inherent to the last-gen console and original PC versions.

Would be nice if DF released a tech analysis of the crew 2 beta, the game looks good and has good performance across all consoles.

I was responding to the video rather than the current line of discussion. The video speaks about the weak texture quality on XB1 and how the extra 4GBs of XB1X is needed to provide decent assets. TR is/was supposed to largely solve our RAM limits. :(
Isn't one problem of TR that you have many small reads to the HDD which is really bad as long as you don't have an SSD or some other cache where the textures are already.

Thats a nice retrospective of the series. But I was hoping for a more in depth analysis of TTT on PS2. That game provided a visual presentation that no other game managed to pull off on the PS2. It was also the closest thing if not the only title that managed a PBR look on a console that didnt have the power to do so. So it must have been doing something really special.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-infinite-our-first-look-at-a-cross-gen-game

Is Halo Infinite our first look at a cross-gen Xbox game?
343's stunning engine demo under the microscope.

Microsoft kicked off its E3 2018 media briefing in epic style, revealing a work-in-progress technology demonstration of its next Master Chief series entry, Halo Infinite, accompanied by an honest, revealing blog giving us a little more background on the ideas behind the game, the aim to recapture the style of the Bungie era for modern hardware, and an admission that almost three years on from the release of Halo 5, Infinite is still very early on in production. Naturally, as the current generation draws to a close, the question must be asked whether this is our first tentative look at a game destined for the next Xbox.

343 Industries' blog doesn't rule this out, but the current generation hardware is explicitly name-checked with mention of 'taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family', yet the freshly minted Slipspace Engine is clearly delivering an extreme visual feature set that would certainly sit more easily on whatever hardware Microsoft is cooking up next. A game targeting a cross-gen release, perhaps? The scale and scope of this Infinite teaser combined with 343's current-gen confirmation certainly suggests so, and what's clear is that in this two-minute teaser, the studio bombards us with rendering techniques that offer a vast increase in fidelity over anything seen from the series before.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-metro-exodus-first-look

Metro Exodus is a 4A game for the 4K era
Hands-on with Xbox One X.

One of the most memorable reveals of the last year's Microsoft E3 media briefing, 4A Games' Metro Exodus seemed to offer a formula that looked too good to be true - a successful transition of an established linear shooter into a similarly well-crafted open world epic. One year on, having spent a few hours hands-on with the game, there's the sense that the promise suggested by that stunning demo has been fulfilled. Exodus is indeed Metro as we know it, but built within a more open-ended environment, with all the opportunities that offers.

Strictly speaking though, while the new 4A game looks and plays like an open world shooter, it's more accurate to say that it's actually more of a collection of smaller sandbox areas, though the developer says that taking the straight, linear path through just one offers around five hours of play. Concentrating the focus opens the door to more variety from one area to the next, simultaneously retaining the sense of a hand-crafted - as opposed to a semi-procedurally generated - environment. There's also the sense that aside from some clearly signposted objectives, the player is very much left to his own devices; side-quests abound, but your map won't get populated with masses of non-descript icons. Extracurricular activities aren't a box-ticking exercise here, but rather something that you organically discover during play.

Metro series purists can certainly rest easy. Despite Metro's emergence into a bigger world, the game feels instantly familiar. It begins with your kit: the guns, Geiger counters and gas masks return, and the weaponry - including the infamous bastard gun - again feels familiar. But everything comes with a twist, such as the new weapons customisation feature. It's a down to earth and straightforward system: if you find a new gun, you've got the option to collect it. Alternatively, you can strip it for parts and use them to customise your existing arsenal. Series protagonist Artyom is gifted a backpack that not only houses his kit but also doubles up as a makeshift crafting shop, where you can strip and reassemble weapons or conjure up new supplies.

Are these things like the Halo demo really next gen looking? My un technical eyes look at Horizon zero dawn, God of war and what the base PS4 achieves and an oretty amazed. Ryse also on base hardware.

No only is the X more powerful, with more memory bandwidth but this is a later game from one of the most funded studios.

I hope it's a tour of X force, a true next gen engine, really loosing any dx11 baggage, built for the consoles to truly exploit their strengths.

A real generation leap requires raytracing effects. Otherwise it's more of the same but only in a higher resolution.

In addition, missing shadows often disturb me when playing games. The distant trees in the Halo video have no proper self shadowing and therefore they stick out of the environment. This problem requires a solution.

In my opinion, Metro Exodus does not look as technically advanced as it is said. The materials
have apparently no PBS and the assets could be from the predecessors. The state of the engine reminds me a lot of previous Metro titles. The game can still be great, of course.

Last edited:
A real generation leap requires raytracing effects. Otherwise it's more of the same but only in a higher resolution.

In addition, missing shadows often disturb me when playing games. The distant trees in the Halo video have no proper self shadowing and therefore they stick out of the environment. This problem requires a solution.

In my opinion, Metro Exodus does not look as technically advanced as it is said. The materials
have apparently no PBS and the assets could be from the predecessors. The state of the engine reminds me a lot of previous Metro titles. The game can still be great, of course.

On twitter I ask to one of the guy working on the SEED demo, he told me it is maybe possible to use raytracing on next generation of console only for shadowing.

Shadowing is potentially the simplest case if you don't care for transparent/translucent objects. Decent lighting will make a significant different though. Even without proper GI, proper occlusion on all objects will really ground visuals.

I still mostly see sharp shadows in games which should actually be diffuse. See Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. I find that very unrealistic.

On twitter I ask to one of the guy working on the SEED demo, he told me it is maybe possible to use raytracing on next generation of console only for shadowing.

Not only raytracing but also voxel effects like voxel GI, AO etc. would be important for a generational leap. But such effects do need a lot of memory and by no means there should be saved too much by Sony and Microsoft in this area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back