CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

To everybody gushing about the visuals, remember that the first Witcher 3 footage looked much better than the actual game delivered and CD Projekt Red took some shit over that and eventually explained what happened. Whilst they've learned form the experience, it's not impossible that it could happen again particularly if they're targeting non-final hardware specifications and/or APIs.

There are no games that look that good in that dense open worlds on today's triple-Titan equipped PCs.

I'm really hoping for the best because I loved The Witcher 3's world and environment and I'de like more of trhat immersive gameplay in future sci-fi world but I'll see what is actually delivered first. :yep2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stated to release on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. :yep2:

I'm good with that but anticipate it being cross-gen like WATCH_DOGS.

"The combat looked dynamic, fun, and filled with RPG elements galore. Although we were treated to roughly an hour of finely polished and beautiful gameplay, the developer didn't share a release date or give any hint of when we might see it. That likely points to 2019 or later. Don't worry, it's for this generation, and is currently slated to hit Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC."

Looks like the real E3 party was behind closed doors :p

It's always been this way. :yep2: But it's a shame that CD Projekt Red have enough game for 50 minutes for journalists to see that they couldn't put ten minutes in the can so people can see how it plays.

Perhaps we'll get this at TGS or, more likely, Gamescom - that's closer to home soil for CDPR.

Do twitch streamers actually contribute to sales in a meaningful way? (Nintendo doesn't think so) I know quite a few people who watch gaming streams eagerly. They do not buy jack shit, though. A colleague actually spent more hours watching Dark Souls than I did playing it. And I played it for 150+ hours.

Twitch is another effective advertising avenue. For Honor sold extremely well at launch due to a heavy Twitch investment in sponsored streams by UBIsoft. Of course, player numbers dropped significantly afterwards due to classes not being well balanced, but they've been constantly working on that and player numbers are going back up.

PUBG is another game that benefitted from Twitch streams significantly. They Are Billions sold a LOT of copies due to Twitch streamers (and to a lesser extent YouTube). Lots of games benefitted to a lesser or greater extent.

That said, some games are more suitable to benefiting from Twitch streaming than others. Also, if a game isn't good in the first place, Twitch streaming isn't going to do much to make it sell better. If the game is already something that sells a lot of copies, Twitch streams aren't going to do much to make them sell even better. Hence, Nintendo's first party games don't really benefit greatly from it, but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

Both Sega Japan and Nintendo Japan were very anti-streaming/VODing of their games. Both Sega America and Nintendo America were pro-streaming/VODing recognizing it as another viable avenue of advertising their games. Sega Japan has come around and is now embracing streamers while Nintendo Japan is still anti-streaming unless they can find a way to directly benefit financially from it (on YouTube you either give them a percentage of your revenue or they content claim your videos). Hence why you see some of it on YouTube, but streaming their games on Twitch is risky.

Seeing games played is an effective advertising avenue for me. I trust what I see massively more than what some stranger on a gaming website (IGN, EG, whatever) has to say about a game they played. My latest example, Yakuza games. I've read enough that I find the concept interesting, but not enough risk buying it. Seeing it being played and seeing how the game mechanics work and what the gameplay loops is, I'm now REALLY wanting to play the games and excited at the prospect of playing them.

That said, streamlining (dumbing down) a game isn't going to help (Destiny 2, for example) it sell more due to streamers playing it. Because chances are, Streamers will also comment on it, and you'll see it.

Battletech is a recent example of a very complex game that sold additional copies due to Twitch. Granted it was a niche game which meant not many streamed it, but thankfully one of the larger streamers (CohhCarnage) loves tactical strategy games and thus streamed it and took the time to explain to viewers (as well as them seeing it in action) how things work in the game.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
It's always been this way. :yep2: But it's a shame that CD Projekt Red have enough game for 50 minutes for journalists to see that they couldn't put ten minutes in the can so people can see how it plays.

Perhaps we'll get this at TGS or, more likely, Gamescom - that's closer to home soil for CDPR.

Yeah gamescom looks likely, maybe they'll show pretty much the same thing but more polished. Journalists mentioned that it had a few bugs in it and some slowdowns. I'm guessing they'll just polish it up and show it :)

Twitch is another effective advertising avenue. For Honor sold extremely well at launch due to a heavy Twitch investment in sponsored streams by UBIsoft. Of course, player numbers dropped significantly afterwards due to classes not being well balanced, but they've been constantly working on that and player numbers are going back up.

Makes sense. At least for a game that's almost purely driven by mechanics. It's like watching sports. Can also see why it would work for Dark Souls or action games like Bayonetta. Or bloody Nintendo games. You have to play these games if you want to appreciate them, even when you know literally everything there is to know about them in theory.
I don't think it's gonna do that much for your typical Western AAA single player game, though. They are just too presentation-focused, not to mention by and large light on elements of gaming mastery.

Dialogues progressing differently depending on what you're looking at?! This is next level shit!!
Good thing game is not launching for another year or two, time to save for looong holidays at home :)

PlayStation Access is one of my absolute favourite videogamer coverage teams. Whilst they only cover games on PlayStation they are the anti-thesis of fanboys and the team have a real eye for detail in games and they tend to spot, remember and have insights about the kind of details that make me excited about new games.

Holly and Nathan's recount here, more than any other I've read or seen from what is probably a fairly similar-ish 50 minute gameplay playthrough, makes me super excited to play Cyberpunk. The description of the world, your character, the way to interact with everything.. brilliant! :runaway: It's also nice to see an absolute Witcher fan (Holly) appreciate the differences game decisions between Cyberpunk and the Witcher. The whole "oh.. it's first person, I'm out" is seriously old now. And it's been three days! :-|

I don't think it's gonna do that much for your typical Western AAA single player game, though. They are just too presentation-focused, not to mention by and large light on elements of gaming mastery.

Yeah, there's other things you notice as well if you watch a lot of streams and look at viewer comments.

The Sony presentation is a good example. When I watched the itmeJP stream, all 4 hosts and cohosts saw TLOU 2 and wanted to play it. One of them had never played the first one and is now planning on playing the first one. Great example of seeing gameplay and getting excited to play something.

However, on Gmart's stream. Of the 3 hosts, 1 of them planned on buying it and playing it. The other 2 planned to just watch someone play it because as they said most Sony games now focus more on cinema like gameplay sequences and not real gameplay (their words not mine). That leads to long sequences where there is not much going on other than story, so they'd rather just watch it than play it. As well, even in many gameplay sequences where the player is in control, they don't like how some encounters are tightly scripted (in the first game, so assume it'll be the same in the second game and the trailer reinforced their perception of this).

Interestingly on Ghost of Tsushima they all got excited. One, because the presentation made it feel like The Witcher 3 and secondly because of the Japanese setting.

Needless to say, all 7 of the hosts were excited for Cyberpunk 2077 as every single one of them was a fan of CDPR and played all 3 of their Witcher games. And the prospect of a first person CDPR made Cyberpunk game gets them all gooey inside.

Regards,
SB

Looks like this is the game everyone was talking about at E3. Hope we get the full fat 50 minutes of gameplay at Gamescom in a few months :yep2:

Back