The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never complained about violence in the first TLOU or GoW Ascension.
Violence has always been part of videogames. Gore was like an icing. Never minded that. To me extreme gore now seems to be the main theme and unnecessary excessive. For example in TLOU2 demo I didnt mind the guy who was hanged and stabbed. But why the excessive gore that came after it? Why the unnecessary visual feat of gut opening and intestines hanging out like ropes? It was unnecessary for the context. In the context of MK I understand it. I understand also people acting like animals when in survival mode killing each other in horrible ways, but there is an unnecessary extra depiction of gore and violence in many games.
There is no reason for example for Lara or Drake to compete Kratos and Marcus Phoenix in gore and violence. But Lara is getting there.
Well there's lesbians kissing to balance it... or to enhace it I'm not sure :LOL:

8YK8ko.jpg

stop_liking_file.jpg

OK everybody go watch the high quality feed from Gamersyde, this actually looks substantially better than UC4 in terms of lighting, foliage density, skin shaders, fire, indirect shadowing and animation. Quite a feat considering UC4 is still sitting on the top 3. If launch PS5 titles look like this I absolutely wouldn't mind.
The brutality and gore fest of it all are simply terrifying yet satisfying to play with, this game portrays the dark and gritty premises of the game so perfect the immersion factor is right through the roof. Not to mention the music carry the whole thing together so well. Only disappointment is no release window.

U4facerub.gif

+Chromatic aberration + grain + some wetness. Basically, the same reason the Tyranosaurus scene from the first JP holds up so well to this day.

More importantly, it goes to show the massive difference high quality precomputed lighting can make for PBR. Direct analytical lighting simply cannot compete. Can't wait for raytracing to become prevalent, or at least some screen space version like what Remedy has in its Northlight engine.

Only disappointment is no release window.
Yea this was something Clukos and I were discussing in the other thread. I had a hard time determining what was QTE, gameplay, cutscene as it was able to switch flawlessly between them all. And with the details of the animation and what not, to me this was the pinnacle of next gen. But his counter was that this wasn't going to be in the actual game at all. So with no release date, it does lend a bit to that argument. perhaps we looked at what they want TLOU2 to be, a vertical slice using their engine and their tech. But perhaps this isn't what the game will actually play like by the time it launches. If it had a release date, I'd be more willing to believe it. But it's sort of like, when we saw the vertical slice of Anthem, and now we see the gameplay, it's slightly different.

I'm not sure how much of the animations will carry over, but if they all do, that's fantastic, it would be one of the best animation systems out there ever made. I don't know how many unique enemies they can make though that all have unique faces and animations, but that's what they did for this demo. Not sure how realistic of an expectation it is for a whole game to be like this (not the tech, just the amount of work).

The detail in this one scene was massive, so much of it being massive. Reminds me of TLOU first reveal vs the actual game.
Not dissing TLOU2 here, so don't take this the wrong way, the trailer was impressive AF.
But it may not be representative of final gameplay as per the reveal vs the release. I woudn't listen to the hard trolling, but he points out some differences.

Yea this was something Clukos and I were discussing in the other thread. I had a hard time determining what was QTE, gameplay, cutscene as it was able to switch flawlessly between them all. And with the details of the animation and what not, to me this was the pinnacle of next gen. But his counter was that this wasn't going to be in the actual game at all. So with no release date, it does lend a bit to that argument. perhaps we looked at what they want TLOU2 to be, a vertical slice using their engine and their tech. But perhaps this isn't what the game will actually play like by the time it launches. If it had a release date, I'd be more willing to believe it. But it's sort of like, when we saw the vertical slice of Anthem, and now we see the gameplay, it's slightly different.

I'm not sure how much of the animations will carry over, but if they all do, that's fantastic, it would be one of the best animation systems out there ever made. I don't know how many unique enemies they can make though that all have unique faces and animations, but that's what they did for this demo. Not sure how realistic of an expectation it is for a whole game to be like this (not the tech, just the amount of work).

The detail in this one scene was massive, so much of it being massive. Reminds me of TLOU first reveal vs the actual game.
Not dissing TLOU2 here, so don't take this the wrong way, the trailer was impressive AF.
But it may not be representative of final gameplay as per the reveal vs the release. I woudn't listen to the hard trolling, but he points out some differences.

Fair point here, the demo could well be put together as a vertical slice running on the Pro while the final game makes compromises in the animation side of thing. But then again this particular sequence could be one of those major encounters where devs would pour more resources into it while other lesser ones don't get as varied or fluent. Also I wouldn't compare ND with EA for consistency :), we already have a pretty good baseline aka UC4 so I expect the final game to reach demo quality and not too far off mark.

wow I didnt notice so many inconsistencies when I played the game!
I am very surprised. I was lucky I guess that I didnt encounter such stupid AI behaviors or maybe I just forgot.
Also in one of the interviews a developer said that he was playing the game live back then at the conference (The Last of Us 1). Either he was lying or they removed aspects from the game.
I really hope its not the case with this one either

Fair point here, the demo could well be put together as a vertical slice running on the Pro while the final game makes compromises in the animation side of thing. But then again this particular sequence could be one of those major encounters where devs would pour more resources into it while other lesser ones don't get as varied or fluent. Also I wouldn't compare ND with EA for consistency :), we already have a pretty good baseline aka UC4 so I expect the final game to reach demo quality and not too far off mark.
The other thing I was thinking was that, in the original TLOU that was what they wanted, but couldn't get it to happen on PS3. Perhaps too much Cell was used to power the graphics up, they had to cut back on AI. Perhaps now, with PS4 they don't need to compromise on it.

So I'm not sure entirely, but I'm hoping to see their vision play out here. If anyone can pull it off it should be them.

wow I didnt notice so many inconsistencies when I played the game!
I am very surprised. I was lucky I guess that I didnt encounter such stupid AI behaviors or maybe I just forgot.
Also in one of the interviews a developer said that he was playing the game live back then at the conference (The Last of Us 1). Either he was lying or they removed aspects from the game.
I really hope its not the case with this one either
I think if you're like me, and we wouldn't be bothered by it too much. When you're having a tough time killing enemies or getting to the save point, I'll take easy kills without complaints ;)
I have no reason to think it wasn't a playthrough at E3, just the amount of scripting might have been a lot more custom and less dynamic.

We' ll have to wait for their pannel I guess to dissect how it was made but they said they overhauled everything.
We remember the first gameplay reveal Of uncharted 4 with the rope mechanic when Nathe jumped from above on ennemis
. Some peopel said it was heavily scritped.
I believe what we saw is really dynamic and contextual. But wait & see

We’ve completely overhauled our engine, developed new combat mechanics, created a new analog stealth system, and revamped our animation system to fully express Ellie’s desperation, resourcefulness, and unique agility.
We’re also upping the stakes and tension of the world. Our environments are broader, more complex, and more detailed–bringing unprecedented realism, verticality, and player choice to the world of The Last of Us. The human enemies you’ll encounter are now more threatening and capable, using sophisticated communication and environmental awareness to create intense, more dynamic stealth and head-on combat encounters.

Even Uncharted Lost Legacy had really fluid dynamic animations

Yeah the animation is leaps and bounds better than pretty much anything else out there. Just watching the 4K trailer and noticing all the small details, it's insane. Even if it's completely scripted it's still amazing.

This trailer also makes me wonder why is no one else baking complex lighting + AO in their games (if they don't include many dynamic elements)? I guess it's very time consuming to actually tweak pretty much anything, but the end result is still incredibly impressive.

Yeah the animation is leaps and bounds better than pretty much anything else out there. Just watching the 4K trailer and noticing all the small details, it's insane. Even if it's completely scripted it's still amazing.

This trailer also makes me wonder why is no one else baking complex lighting + AO in their games (if they don't include many dynamic elements)? I guess it's very time consuming to actually tweak pretty much anything, but the end result is still incredibly impressive.
Well, high quality lightmaps are very costly memory wise.

Back