What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played through Little Nightmares last night, was on sale and on my wish list. Great little adventure with some excellent art design and lighting. Gorgeous and really creepy presentation.

Tried to play Batman: Arkham Knight because a friend gave it to me a year ago and has been pestering me to play ever since saying how great it is.

Oh man, is this game a drag. Bleh. Can't do it. Batmobile as a tank with missles? Tanks littering the streets of Arkham City? WTF. I don't like new Batman if this is representative of modern Batman. Give me classic Batman, even the revamped Michael Keaton batman over this crap.

Other than that, Path of Exile got me hooked a bit again, although I think I'm finally starting to get tired of it again. Really well done game and nice to see how it has progressed since I last played it about 3 years ago.

Regards,
SB

Jurassic World Evolution. Just started last night, played for about 3 hours and just opened up the 2nd island. Looks simply gorgeous at 3440x1440, runs nice and smooth at that res and all ultra settings on my 1070. Maybe it'll slow down if I spawn a heck more dino's, but so far no issues.

Being able to drive the ranger jeeps and go to first person to shoot and take photo's, these are the most beautiful dino models I've ever seen.

As far as the game play goes, I can tell already that the game is a bit touchy about where you can place buildings because of the terrain and the difficulty level really seems to be most left to the players. You can decide how stupid you get to be by what dino's you choose to create.

Playing on PC rather than XB1X because I watched a game play vid and really couldn't figure out how this game would be any fun at all trying to use a controller. It's complicated enough with a M&K, honestly.. there's just too many options with a park building sim like this.

Fun so far, looking forward to the "real" game tonight with storms and chaos and dino's and running and death.

Remember when I said above that the difficulty level in the game essentially comes down to how dumb you want to be?

Yes. So, on the second island, which is really the first real level of the game, I thought I had everything sorted out and a great fool-proof plan. So I introduced a bunch of raptors and some other mini-Trex looking guys. I was sure I had it straight, electric fences and high steel fence upgrades, put them in their own spot away from everybody else... yeah. Carnage. Total and complete carnage. Went from a viable park pulling in about 200k per to negative five million in about ten minutes.

It was horrifically glorious. This game is really fun.

Of course, part of the problem was that I was trying to extend my monorail system around the park and spent millions building it only to find out that the initial monorail that brings visitors to your park cannot link up with the one you build. They're two different systems, so that wasted lots of time and money building and destroying and rebuilding only for me to finally give up and do a google search and find out that you can't link the two.

The game could use a bit more in the way of tutorial or help. I'm still not sure what the point of the electric fences are since the Dino's seem to destroy them just as easily as anything else. Maybe they take damage and get hurt while doing it? Not sure.

Anyway....haven't had this much fun since I played the Astroneer pre-alpha. It's great fun.

Loving loving LOVING Dragon Age: Origins. :love: I feel that my decisions really matter and change the story, and the gameplay is nice. I also like the progression in difficulty. Some battles are a true challenge and you have to stop, think and adapt your combat.

Hollow Knight. Brilliant game. Also bafflingly huge. I expected 4-8 hours of playtime from this. You know, the time it usually takes your average Metroidvania game to wrap itself up. Well, I've crossed the 30 hours mark by now, and there's still a big chunk of content left for me to chew through. My only slight gripe with the game is that it's almost too difficult for its own good in its final third.

Last edited:
Inspired by the RPG discussion in the Anthem thread, I installed and started replaying Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines.

Diamond in the rough indeed. Released in a horrible state in 2004, its qualities were recognized, but....
Today it is playable and though it has aged, it still manages to convey atmosphere excellently, and the diversity of the blood lines is reflected in the game play.
It’s addictive, to me. At least these initial hours. It’s an interesting experience, because you would think that atmosphere specifically would be where modern 3D-technology would really pay dividends.

I am aware of it but haven’t dared seek it out yet. Thanks for the link. If things move on in an unbugged manner I might apply it for a second tour, playing as one of the more unusual bloodlines. Probably should have applied it from the get go, now I’m afraid to mess up my save file.

I had to give up on Shadow of War, the grind just got to me and the story couldn't keep me engaged ... moved on to uncharted the lost legacy since I was behind on that game and some Gala Collider for RTS

Been playing Raft with my kids, having fun coasting the seas trying to gather resources, craft new things for the raft and fend off sharks. Needs a lot more content yet but a really solid base to the game that's very addictive.

I don't have access to my PC so I've been playing COD on a friend's xbox. I like to rock the noob tube, C4 and rocket launchers. Most of the people I play against say some very rude things to me.

I've started playing Stardew Valley again and become addicted again. Hopefully 1.3 or whatever the next patch is called will come out of beta soon

Burnout 3 (OXbox) : Has aged extremely well. Of course the graphics are dated, but this game is pure fun.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS2) : I skipped this when it came out because it looked like a total affront to Sands of Time. In fact, it's...a total affront to Sands of Time. The first half-hour of the game is one cringe after another. I probably won't play it much more.

Divinity: Original Sin 2: It starts off fun but has gotten extremely boring. My party beats every combat by going to the same bag of tricks over and over. Like most CRPGs, it has the problem of being unable to hide the fact that at heart, the non-combat portion of the game is "find the dialogue node on the map you need to click through in order to advance to the next combat." In addition, the system does not fit the game. Constantly increasing HP & damage don't make sense when mysteriously, beggars and urchins in the city center have more hit points than the knights and guards you saw in the first mission. If you're not going into thematically more dangerous areas and fighting qualitatively different, scarier enemies, just...don't use that kind of system.

Divinity: Original Sin 2: It starts off fun but has gotten extremely boring. My party beats every combat by going to the same bag of tricks over and over. Like most CRPGs, it has the problem of being unable to hide the fact that at heart, the non-combat portion of the game is "find the dialogue node on the map you need to click through in order to advance to the next combat." In addition, the system does not fit the game. Constantly increasing HP & damage don't make sense when mysteriously, beggars and urchins in the city center have more hit points than the knights and guards you saw in the first mission. If you're not going into thematically more dangerous areas and fighting qualitatively different, scarier enemies, just...don't use that kind of system.
I thought this game was universally acclaimed as one of the best RPGs out there.

I thought this game was universally acclaimed as one of the best RPGs out there.

It is, but as with any game, it's not for everyone. This was easily one of my top 3 games for 2017. The sheer diversity in ways you can approach and solve situations in the game is just mind blowing.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back