Battlefield V

The trailer reminds me of that Metro E3 2017 reveal "gameplay" with added on HUD for a highly scripted sequence. It's no surprise the subsequent actual gameplay footage looked downgraded when they showed again for Nvidia raytracing tech.
What happened to the good old days of BF3&4 reveals? Used to be genuine 17min of pure gameplay and not advertising the in engine footage as actual gameplay.

God, this looks like genuine trash. What the hell's with the outfits? Where was the Monty Python fart sound when the tank fell right onto the guy? And what is Aloy doing in WWII? Or is this all supposed to be ironic?

The Reveal trailer was meant to "show" (replicate?) what players generally do in Battlefield games. Crazy things that started way back in BF1942 and what helped propel Battlefield into the gaming consciousness. Things like flying a plane into the enemy to kill them, parachuting out at the last minute, shooting someone while parachuting down, etc.

Basically a clip of random footage that's supposed to be a homage to the crazy things that people do in BF games. For me, it reminded me a lot of the antics we used to pull back when I played Battlefield games at LAN parties (man I feel old).

I was confused at first as well as I expected Yet Another gritty realism trailer. Why was the woman that got shot earlier in the doorway suddenly back up and fighting again? What the heck was going on?

It took me a bit to realize that it was just a montage of things representative of the crazy things that players do in BF games.

Regards,
SB

So, does the mainline Battlefield series (so not including BC or Hardline) have the most obtuse number scheme imaginable? In order of release.
  1. BF 1942 - OK it's set in WW2 in 1942, makes sense.
  2. BF Vietnam [edited in] - OK, it's the war it was set in, makes sense I guess.
  3. BF 2 - OK it's now a series and set in modern day, so sure, why not? [Edit] But, uh, it's not the second game in the series.
  4. BF 2142 - Erm, OK abandoning series name, back to the year it is set in, why not?
  5. BF 3 - OK back to series names for modern games? But then where is the BF 1 modern game?
  6. BF 4 - Ah, sanity in naming.
  7. BF 1 - Erm... Uh... OK, sure it's set in WW1, but they use 1 instead of a year representative of the period the game is set in? Maybe it's a reboot of the series? I have no idea at this point.
  8. BF V - OK, what the hell are you smoking EA/DICE?
:D Please take this as a tongue in cheek post as intended. :D

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I have no problems with "diversity" of characters in a multiplayer game. They want women in the same squads as black men then all the power to them (we've had those for decades in other games and no one complained AFAIK?).

Why call this a "World War II" setting, though? Had they called this "Battlefield V: Fantasy Wars" they could even get away with aliens riding pink ponies.

But releasing a cinematic-ish trailer starring an apparently British team with a woman carrying an active arm prosthesis plus a black man plus bright blue face paints and then call it a "World War II" setting is just plain stupid IMO.
Either go with "Fantasy Setting inspired on WWII" or if you go with actual WWII then at least try to portray a certain realism regarding the ethnicity and gender of the soldiers who died in battle.

The Reveal trailer was meant to "show" (replicate?) what players generally do in Battlefield games. Crazy things that started way back in BF1942 and what helped propel Battlefield into the gaming consciousness. Things like flying a plane into the enemy to kill them, parachuting out at the last minute, shooting someone while parachuting down, etc.

Basically a clip of random footage that's supposed to be a homage to the crazy things that people do in BF games. For me, it reminded me a lot of the antics we used to pull back when I played Battlefield games at LAN parties (man I feel old).

I was confused at first as well as I expected Yet Another gritty realism trailer. Why was the woman that got shot earlier in the doorway suddenly back up and fighting again? What the heck was going on?

It took me a bit to realize that it was just a montage of things representative of the crazy things that players do in BF games.

Regards,
SB

True. Thing is, by replacing WWII soldiers with the cast of Gears 4, you take the grittiness and pseudo realism out of the setting. The comedy (which used to be unintentional) stops working because now that weird juxtaposition is gone and all you're left with are goofy looking video game characters doing goofy looking video game nonsense, and that's really quite normal.

True. Thing is, by replacing WWII soldiers with the cast of Gears 4, you take the grittiness and pseudo realism out of the setting. The comedy (which used to be unintentional) stops working because now that weird juxtaposition is gone and all you're left with are goofy looking video game characters doing goofy looking video game nonsene.

Yeah, I'm hoping the character designs are just for shock value in the trailer.

Alternatively, maybe they are pointing to BF moving towards cosmetics for monetization instead of loot boxes? Who knows...

Regards,
SB

Alternatively, maybe they are pointing to BF moving towards cosmetics for monetization instead of loot boxes? Who knows...
This seems to be the case. Promoters are focusing on the different cosmetics down during the video and apparently EA has stated there will not be loot boxes. So expect pop culture tank cosmetics for $20+ etc

I thought that trailer was really bad. To this day, BF4 is one of my favorite games (1000+ hours played in MP). BF1 was a real let down. This doesn't make me hopeful.

No premium pass and free maps means lootboxes. DICE really doesn't a good track record with those so the game will most likely turn pay2win lite. Trailer didn't really do anything for me either. I agree about BF4, it was broken for about 6 months after release but at least the game was fun and kept people playing. I guess I'll play this with the origin pass thing to look at the graphics on PC :)

No premium pass and free maps means lootboxes
EA so far have directly stated that Battlefield V will not contain any lootboxes or pay2win upgrades. Microtransactions will be direct and cosmetic only, which can also be earned in gameplay.

So, does the mainline Battlefield series (so not including BC or Hardline) have the most obtuse number scheme imaginable? In order of release.
  1. BF 1942 - OK it's set in WW2 in 1942, makes sense.
  2. BF 2 - OK it's now a series and set in modern day, so sure, why not?
  3. BF 2142 - Erm, OK abandoning series name, back to the year it is set in, why not?
  4. BF 3 - OK back to series names for modern games? But then where is the BF 1 modern game?
  5. BF 4 - Ah, sanity in naming.
  6. BF 1 - Erm... Uh... OK, sure it's set in WW1, but they use 1 instead of a year representative of the period the game is set in? Maybe it's a reboot of the series? I have no idea at this point.
  7. BF V - OK, what the hell are you smoking EA/DICE?
:D Please take this as a tongue in cheek post as intended. :D

Regards,
SB

I dunno...

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
Need for Speed (2015)

This makes the Fast & Furious naming scheme seem simple and straightforward.

Though the COD series has odd naming too, if you dont know MW/IW and BLOPS are different enough.

If BFV is anything like BF1 it wont be anything im intrested in. BF4 was/is the best BF game and perhaps the last.

I dunno...

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
Need for Speed: Most

Lol, wtf where they thinking :D

Why call this a "World War II" setting, though? Had they called this "Battlefield V: Fantasy Wars" they could even get away with aliens riding pink ponies.

But releasing a cinematic-ish trailer starring an apparently British team with a woman carrying an active arm prosthesis plus a black man plus bright blue face paints and then call it a "World War II" setting is just plain stupid IMO.
Either go with "Fantasy Setting inspired on WWII" or if you go with actual WWII then at least try to portray a certain realism regarding the ethnicity and gender of the soldiers who died in battle.

So if realism is required, should not the gameplay be realistic also? I mean these games are not like a real war/battle.

It's a game set in WWII like setting. You can go for 100% realistic thing or not.
That's up to the creator, it's their vision. If not we can start complaining about the lack of bayonet options etc

So if realism is required, should not the gameplay be realistic also? I mean these games are not like a real war/battle.

For the same reason you're not introducing dragons or My Little Pony characters into a Dead Space game even though it's pure outer space fantasy (I know I'm exxaggerating here). The it's-not-realistic-in-certain-ways-ergo-anything-should-go is completely fallacious. I'm totally fine with that kinda stuff in the nonsense that is multi-player mind you, but I can completely understand why someone would be put off when it's being framed by a somewhat serious WWII war storyline. The amount of crap the COD devs were getting for telling a WWII story about the kind of folks which were actually fighting (i.e. not the women) was absurd.

Personally I'm really looking forwards to this, I bought BF3 because some friends said to buy it, then I needed to by the pass to play the DLC, which I didn't do, so I never played it again. Then when BF4 came out I bought that because of firends, really liked it but hated the fact that the better players with all the experience also had better weapons etc. like WTF? My mate who played loads and levelled up had a thermal scope which highlighted other players, basically a wall hack in any other game. At that point I gave up on it. I wanted to enjoy the demo of Battlefront, but that was the same so I never bought that, and of course the same went for Battlefront 2, which I was desperite to play. Having limited time and funds to spend on gaming means that all these P2W games are pointless to me, no matter how "good" they are. So I'm really excited about BFV, and my firends are all onboard.

Back