What framerate will next-gen target? *spawn

What framerates will next-gen games target?

• VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • 30ps

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • 60ps

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • 90fps

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 120fps

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
30fps looks worse on a giant screen than 1080p with good TAA. I always make compromises in resolution first. Then graphic and last frame rate. I put everything according to the frame rate. 30fps does not only looks bad it also playes bad. It's much less fun to play with 30fps.
Is purely subjective depends on one's preference. You just haven't played a game with Infinity War CGI visuals at 30fps :).

Dat cinematic feel, amirite?

One could also say: "you just haven't played a game with Infinity War CGI visuals at 60fps" :p
Well yeah at parity IW CGI visuals, 60fps may be the logical win. But if Thanos wiped out half of the visuals at 60fps because balance in universe and etc, it might not be that fun any more:rolleyes:.

Well yeah at parity IW CGI visuals, 60fps may be the logical win. But if Thanos wiped out half of the visuals at 60fps because balance in universe and etc, it might not be that fun any more:rolleyes:.
More fun than if Thanos wiped out half the frames :p

Is purely subjective depends on one's preference. You just haven't played a game with Infinity War CGI visuals at 30fps :).
If it's just extra polygons and more advanced lighting I really don't see how people would find that more fun than a 60fps game. If 30fps allows more gameplay mechanics somehow than I can see it.

Visually, does 30fps change the art direction or technical choices like post processing? On the Ps5 the level of detail between 30fps and 60fps will be smaller than in every generation before it by a significant margin.

If it's just extra polygons and more advanced lighting I really don't see how people would find that more fun than a 60fps game. If 30fps allows more gameplay mechanics somehow than I can see it.

Visually, does 30fps change the art direction or technical choices like post processing? On the Ps5 the level of detail between 30fps and 60fps will be smaller than in every generation before it by a significant margin.
If 30 FPS allow better AA and AF, less aggressive LOD, better lighting/shadows & materials, better cloth/hair simulation or even higher density in polygons/objects/characters on screen, maybe that's a reason.

If 30 FPS allow better AA and AF, less aggressive LOD, better lighting/shadows & materials, better cloth/hair simulation or even higher density in polygons/objects/characters on screen, maybe that's a reason.
i'm asking how is any of that more fun? Out of those pop in is the only thing I find distracting. Nier automata's a good example of that I guess, but the rest of the game looks great.

And it'd be a very poor trade off to fix if it meant 30 frames it's a high paced action game.

Next gen lod at 60fps shouldn't be a problem.

i'm asking how is any of that more fun?
Games aren't about 'fun', but 'entertainment'. Different forms of entertainment benefit from different visuals, such as Detroit: Being Human et al requiring the most photorealistic visuals possible to be as engaging as possible. It's the difference between a graphic novel and a comic strip.

For twice as much of the rendering time you can almost do too much and it sure as hell don't just mean more polygons or better lighting. Better resolution, image quality, more effects, better LOD, denser world, all while making the best use of your 4k HDR TV. I ain't got no time for poor 1080p pixels these days :).
unless they are 30fps and looking like Infinity War CGI of course
And as for fun factor, like Shifty mentioned, I just need to be entertained, thrilled, wowed etc.

Games aren't about 'fun', but 'entertainment'. Different forms of entertainment benefit from different visuals, such as Detroit: Being Human et al requiring the most photorealistic visuals possible to be as engaging as possible. It's the difference between a graphic novel and a comic strip.
The word fun was used so that's what I'm talking about.

Obviously not every game needs 60fps but at this point more games would benefit from it much more than a graphics bump.

I think that's actually a mistake. Games are now in the uncanny valley and so higher fidelity actually lowers immersion, at least when it comes to human characters.

30 with perfect frame pacing for most single player games, 60 fps for faster paced games, 90 for VR stuff.

You can make far more complex worlds at 30fps. It's obvious. Day's Gone could not run at 60fps without a massive cut in zombies number.

30fps is not only about graphics but also game mechanics and world complexity.

You can make far more complex worlds at 30fps. It's obvious. Day's Gone could not run at 60fps without a massive cut in zombies number.

30fps is not only about graphics but also game mechanics and world complexity.
Yeah, but few games are actually using that extra processing for that. I doubt any gameplay of U4 couldnt be done at 60 for exemple.

Yeah, but few games are actually using that extra processing for that. I doubt any gameplay of U4 couldnt be done at 60 for exemple.

With PS3 graphics ? Maybe... but i don't know if it's worth it... in more simple games you can have both : graphics and higher framerate.

I'm for 60fps.

How people place so much emphasis on better graphics but then are fine when the game is blurred to hell and back, when the frame rate is too low to actually define what is being rendered, has me stumped.

I'm for 60fps.

How people place so much emphasis on better graphics but then are fine when the game is blurred to hell and back, when the frame rate is too low to actually define what is being rendered, has me stumped.
I can't understand this typically overexaggerated point of view regarding 30 FPS, like they are a total visual mess. I really can't.

People who do not understand that other people are different has me stumped. You must live in an eternal state of perplexity that others have chosen to wear different clothes to you, or like favour different colours for things they buy and eat different food.

It's exactly the same. :yes:

If a game renders at 60fps, the minimum framerate for PSVR, how much more does it take to render it in stereoscopy?

I'm wondering because that might well be the best way Sony could support PSVR2 on the PS5: at least every first party game has an option of 30fps or 60fps, with the latter making for an easier means of implementing stereoscopy in the headset's cinema mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back