The Elder Scrolls VI

eloic

Veteran
Many people are saying that we will get news in the upcoming E3.
A Canadian commercial agency (http://www.lesjouetsfranckids.com/) specialized in toys, games, and the outdoors has released a slide show that showcase on what merchandise they have in development for certain brands for films, TV shows and video game. But the interesting part of this slide is that The Elder Scrolls 6 was listed in the power point slide with other merchandise that has already been out or just came out recently. Could Bethesda Game Studios be gearing up to announce The Elder Scrolls 6?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/canadian-commercial-agency-list-the-elder-scrolls-6.41353/

I hope that's true. :)

I would be really surprised if they used a completely new engine for this gen,
and TBH they have polished it quite OK in Fallout 4.
Are you being ironic?

I'm playing Fallout 4 right now and even after ~120 mods it looks like pretty bad compared to the 2016-2018 games based on frostbite or idtech6.

Fallout 4's visuals were universally panned at release time.

And yet the visuals didn't stop it from being reviewed well and selling like crazy. It's almost like graphics aren't the most important thing to the mass market who buy Bethesda RPGs.

And yet the visuals didn't stop it from being reviewed well and selling like crazy. It's almost like graphics aren't the most important thing to the mass market who buy Bethesda RPGs.

I'd argue that's true for any good game that sells well. The latest God of War, for example, would likely not drop many sales at all even if it had used the Creation Engine in a similar way to FO4. Hence why games with cutting edge graphics, but average or subpar gameplay (Ryse, Order 1886) don't sell nearly as well.

Regards,
SB

Are you being ironic?

I'm playing Fallout 4 right now and even after ~120 mods it looks like pretty bad compared to the 2016-2018 games based on frostbite or idtech6.

Fallout 3 and 4 graphics are sooooooo bad. Not only the graphics, but also the UI -I dislike the fonts, the art style, etc.

In that sente, Skyrim is leaps and bounds over it, it wasn't perfect, the art style had some inconsistencies, but Skyrim is....beautiful.

Sometimes I dont think they are using the same engine.

I can't find the quote* but fairly sure that in one of the Bethesda interviews they said they'll continue to use the Skyrim engine going forward. I believe it was in response to whether they'd switch to idTech for everything.

* As in, it's sunday afternoon and I'm being lazy.

I can't find the quote* but fairly sure that in one of the Bethesda interviews they said they'll continue to use the Skyrim engine going forward. I believe it was in response to whether they'd switch to idTech for everything.

Not really surprising. As janky as Bethesda's engine can be, not many engines would cope will rendering 3,000 cheese wheels with BethesdaPhysics(tm) and Bethesda would need to rewrite their AI and scripting engine.

Not really surprising. As janky as Bethesda's engine can be, not many engines would cope will rendering 3,000 cheese wheels with BethesdaPhysics(tm) and Bethesda would need to rewrite their AI and scripting engine.
cheese wheels.. haha, that made my day. I investigated about what you are talking about and found this.

* As in, it's sunday afternoon and I'm being lazy.
how recent is that interview? Skyrim engine seems to be based on the Oblivion engine, which imho, was revolutionary at the time. You saw a mountain, a village, etc, you could go there.The physics weren't that bad either. Back in 2006 when playing the newly released X360 version of Oblivion a sibling of mine stopped a moment to see me play and a wolf confronted me.

I won the battle, and the dead wolf's body started rolling downhill very slowly and kinda realistically, reacting to every bump and slope, to my sibling's surprise. He is a casual and said "nice, that's well done".

edit: more cheese

Last edited:
Oblivion used Gamebryo. The follow on games aren't listed on the Gamerbryo site. Given it's modular nature, I suppose there's always the chance that less to none of those modules remain as you move through Skyrim and Falllout 4?

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Behesda forked Gamebryo with Fallout 3/Creation Engine to stop the graphics being totally potato faced.

Last edited:
They are surfing on the good will generated from Skyrim & Fallout 3. IMHO Fallout 4 is the worst Fallout by far.
The gamebryo mutated engine is crap and I'm ready to bet it's the reason why Elder Scrolls is nowhere to see, because they need to bite the bullet and get rid of the technical debt.

I know people hate it but they will most probably never change engines.
The core of every game since Morrowind has been NetImmersive Gamebryo engine and over the years they have rewritten the renderer and hooked in a ton of middleware but the core structure is the same it has always been. ESM/Esp game structure, BSA asset packages and good old Netimmersive (Nif) geometry files that luckily the modding community still works on to provide tools and plugins for popular 3D creation suites. There is no economic incentive for them to spend the time/money to move their entire development team to a new engine and rewrite a whole new set of tools just to make a game that is going to sell well as it would have on the Frankenstein monster engine they've been using.

They are surfing on the good will generated from Skyrim & Fallout 3. IMHO Fallout 4 is the worst Fallout by far. The gamebryo mutated engine is crap and I'm ready to bet it's the reason why Elder Scrolls is nowhere to see, because they need to bite the bullet and get rid of the technical debt.

I don't follow what you're saying here. Bethesda have already shipped an Elder Scrolls on the Creation Engine: Skyrim. Fallout 4 was the second Creation Engine game. What "technical debt"?

BSAs were retired in special edition. They're not compatible with the 64bit version. Not much difference as the rest of the core is there and there's some hacks to extend the capabilities of the engine for mods but the 64but version was a godsend (eventually) for modding. No more crashes.

I don't follow what you're saying here. Bethesda have already shipped an Elder Scrolls on the Creation Engine: Skyrim. Fallout 4 was the second Creation Engine game. What "technical debt"?
The Creation engine is just a rebranding of Gamebryo. They do improve things incrementally, but the clunky core is still here, from Morrowind to Fallout 4.

I know people hate it but they will most probably never change engines.
The core of every game since Morrowind has been NetImmersive Gamebryo engine and over the years they have rewritten the renderer and hooked in a ton of middleware but the core structure is the same it has always been. ESM/Esp game structure, BSA asset packages and good old Netimmersive (Nif) geometry files that luckily the modding community still works on to provide tools and plugins for popular 3D creation suites. There is no economic incentive for them to spend the time/money to move their entire development team to a new engine and rewrite a whole new set of tools just to make a game that is going to sell well as it would have on the Frankenstein monster engine they've been using.

I really wonder whether the modding community is so essential to bethesda games. The mod community was non-existent on consoles for most of their games, and console sales probably dwarf pc sales (I didn't check, I could be wrong).
Doom had limited console modding through snapmap, so maybe they were testing the waters ?

Back