The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Elder Scrolls with free drop-in/drop-out like e.g. Dying Light would be great in terms of out-of-the-box gameplay, but terrible to handle for all the insanely popular post-launch mods, mainly the non-cosmetic ones (which are the ones that go into consoles anyway).

Whys that? I haven't really followed Skyrim's infinite number of mods over the years.

Whys that? I haven't really followed Skyrim's infinite number of mods over the years.

What will the guest player see if the host player is wearing a totally new armor that was embedded through a mod? Or how will the host interact with a spell that was completely made up through a mod that the guest applied (say, a spell that turns friendlies into giants)? Or if the host player is living in a house that doesn't exist in the guest's code?

Multiplayer and super flexible moddability like Skyrim/Fallout don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

A true ES game with coop would be awesome. One person could distract a shop keeper while the other nicks things, for example. Plenty of scope for meaningful classes (healer, sneak-thief) without having them forced or compromising the single-player experience.
If that's a problem, exclude drop-in for mods. I just want the main experience coop!
What's the difference between a modless online mode with drop-in for PvE coop and Elder Scrolls Online?
In ESO you can even play solo almost all content AFAIR.

Have you played ESO? It's nothing like a proper ES game. It's a shallow MMO with constantly respawning enemies and other people running around. Absolutely nothing like Morrowind.

I was all excited for ESO expecting it to be that game, only for it to be a huge disappointment, and thus my hopes here in this thread that we'll get a proper ES game with online coop. ;)

Yeah the only thing similar that ESO has to ES series is the world it's set in, even then ESO is set thousands(?) of years before ES series. It's just another clone MMO.

I would like to see ES gain a co-op experience with a limit of like 4 players. That might be much easier to control than say an MMO experience with hundreds of players in a zone. Once you move to multiplayer, even with just 2 players, is the interactions of quests and compensating for players doing different things at once. I think WoW has some of the best quest control for muliplayer that I've seen with any MMO, with phasing and lockout of quests for team mates unless they've done the prerequisites.

As touched upon though, modding is a huge component of Elder Scrolls and has now entered the console market. Adding a multiplayer component to that would add huge complexity and you can tell Bethesda want to heavily monetize the modding world and get some of those $$$ from all the efforts the community puts into it. I just don't see a co-op experience coming anytime soon.

If that's a problem, exclude drop-in for mods. I just want the main experience coop!

I reckon it's challenge enough for Bethesda to balance games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout for all the possible evolving character builds and perks/skills, without trying to account for balance for two or more. In the AAA space they're a relatively small team.

I'd say don't hold your breath and hope that community projects like Skyrim Together ever actually release.

Just give me Half-Life 3 (I know, I know, not happening). Or at least the prior ones fully remastered (I know, I know, not happening).

Fu** it! Why do I do this to myself!? :cry:

I reckon it's challenge enough for Bethesda to balance games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout for all the possible evolving character builds and perks/skills, without trying to account for balance for two or more. In the AAA space they're a relatively small team.

I'd say don't hold your breath and hope that community projects like Skyrim Together ever actually release.

They could do something along the lines of Ghost Recon Wildlands: you directly control 1 character in a 4 character squad, but any player may possess one of the other 3 characters in a drop in drop out fashion.

You already have a companion in Skyrim, so having a couple more shouldn't be such a tall order.

You already have a companion in Skyrim, so having a couple more shouldn't be such a tall order.
I thought the companions in Skyrim were designed to slow you, not help you. You know, blocking the doorway you're trying to get through, standing on top the corse you're trying to loot etc. :LOL:

You can already have up to four companions in Skyrim; two summoned with the right conjuration perk, and any quest-specific companion(s). But because companions are level-limited and very limited in AI and abilities, it's an easier balance than people with any combinations with skills and classes and I think that's what Shifty is wanting.

Existing companions are never really that impactful on your playthrough.

Have you played ESO? It's nothing like a proper ES game. It's a shallow MMO with constantly respawning enemies and other people running around. Absolutely nothing like Morrowind.
That's right, I didn't play ESO because I tend to run away from MMOs. I just thought the game was decent in achieving the ES vibe because it's a fairly successful MMO...

I thought the companions in Skyrim were designed to slow you, not help you. You know, blocking the doorway you're trying to get through, standing on top the corse you're trying to loot etc. :LOL:
Nonsense. The companions are thoroughly developed to be mules. They're even coded with the random "free will" of a mule and disappear forever from your sight when you're not looking.

So, it looks like Bethesda is saying that the reason they revealed Rage 2 before E3 is that they have too much stuff to show at E3 that they had to show it now.

Makes me somewhat interested as to what Bethesda plans to show that would make them feel like they had to push Rage 2 to before the conference.

Regards,
SB
Bethesda's conference is my most anticipated one of the E3 by far! The kings of single player

Bethesda's conference is my most anticipated one of the E3 by far! The kings of single player
Exactly, we had Doom, Dishonored, Prey, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within, Fallout, Elder Scrolls. No multi-year bs marketing plan, "you'll get it in six months"
And even if I vastly prefer Bethesda published games to Bethesda games, they are still investing in multiple big AAA single-player games.

34050713_2097974653821182_6699316501133918208_n.jpg

"Play PS2 and PS3 games on PS4". Implies open BC, but that's not going to happen with PS3. So, streamed? Would love to play PS2 discs in PS4.

Edit: New games look meh. Large remake proportion, although some like Spyro are virtually new games in the current landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back