HUAWEI and Google Play Services fuck up

Picao84

Veteran
There is currently a huge, worldwide problem, affecting ALL HUAWEI devices powered by Android 7.0 and 8.0, after a Google Play Services update pushed by the end of April. One immediate noticeable effect is that Maps and any app that uses them are not working (e.g. Uber, Lyft, TripAdvisor, Booking.com, etc..). But problems go much, much, deeper like battery drain and devices heating up.

On my case (as App developer, not HUAWEI phone owner), apps are crashing when interstitial ads are requested or when the user tries to do an in-app purchase. Other apps like Just Eat are crashing when they user tries to use Google Pay.

More information on the issue tracker thread below, which was closed by moderators, asking for developers to "star" it, if they want it solved. IF? Really? Not like that will save developers from 1 star reviews we have no bearing on!

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/79405933#comment171

This is a disaster of epic proportions, but somehow none of the media outlets like GSMArena and PhoneArea are saying a peep about it. Paid much?

Putting my tinfoil hat on, I wonder if this was deliberate action in collaboration with the USA government?

Well, according to that thread, the issue has been identified and a fix is being prepared. Hopefully it'll be rolled out soon.

Regards,
SB

Well, according to that thread, the issue has been identified and a fix is being prepared. Hopefully it'll be rolled out soon.

Regards,
SB

Yes, I know but I somehow doubt it will be rolling out soon. I mean how could something affecting such a wide range of devices from a single manufacturer not be caught early on and be released like this? And why only HUAWEI phones? My Spidey sense is telling me we have not seen the end of it yet...

But what bothers me more was the complete lack of news about it on media. Did they not hear about it? Or choose not to publish it?

Meanwhile, as a developer, I almost had a heart attack seeing crash reports raising from 20 to 30 per day to almost 2000 LOL!

Yes, I know but I somehow doubt it will be rolling out soon. I mean how could something affecting such a wide range of devices from a single manufacturer not be caught early on and be released like this? And why only HUAWEI phones? My Spidey sense is telling me we have not seen the end of it yet...

But what bothers me more was the complete lack of news about it on media. Did they not hear about it? Or choose not to publish it?

Meanwhile, as a developer, I almost had a heart attack seeing crash reports raising from 20 to 30 per day to almost 2000 LOL!

Well, it's unlikely to be the US Government because if that was the case it would also be affecting all ZTE phones running on newer versions of Android.

I think it's probably just that Huawei was doing something different than other phone makers.

Regards,
SB

There is currently a huge, worldwide problem, affecting ALL HUAWEI devices powered by Android 7.0 and 8.0
Well I have a huawei nexus 6p android (8.1) and have never had an issue, so either its not all devices or 8.1
The odds that HUAWEI have paid all media sites to be quiet is laughable

Well I have a huawei nexus 6p android (8.1) and have never had an issue, so either its not all devices or 8.1
The odds that HUAWEI have paid all media sites to be quiet is laughable

You have a Nexus device with what I would imagine is stock Android (unless you installed a custom ROM), so it does not have OS customizations by HUAWEI.

Plus I was not thinking about HUAWEI paying media sites, but Google, since its their own fuck up.

Mate think rationally WTF would google pay to suppress this minor thing and risk the scandal of being found out with all that press and bap rep, yet not pay to suppress all the much more major issues theyve had?
If I was you I'ld be keeping a look over your shoulder they might of sent a hitman to deal with your blabbermouthing

Mate think rationally WTF would google pay to suppress this minor thing and risk the scandal of being found out with all that press and bap rep, yet not pay to suppress all the much more major issues theyve had?
If I was you I'ld be keeping a look over your shoulder they might of sent a hitman to deal with your blabbermouthing

It is by no means a minor thing when it affects a wide range of Apps, making those smartphones almost unusable.

Well its just plainly weird that no media outlet is reporting this, that's all. Consider this a vent from having thousands of crash reports that I can't do anything about and that obviously lead to bad reviews and worse, massive uninstalls as HUAWEI is the third most used phone after Samsung and iPhone. It is hurting my bottom line.

You don't have to go personal either and start throwing shit at me.

Google has update us as it is releasing a beta soon to remediate the problem. They are not saying it is an outright fix, as it comes with one caveat: upon reboot of the device apps that are affected by this issue cannot function properly until around one minute after. It might seem like a minor thing but for me its an obvious signal that the issue will still be coming up. Saying something like that does not communicate a lot of confidence in the software world and means they are not in full control of the situation. It also means they are not backtracking with any changes they did on the previous update.

Last edited:
It does make me wonder what Huawei is doing that is different from the other Android phone makers.

Most likely it's their different CPU, using the Kirin instead of typical SnapDragons?

Back