The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers

Legend
So it's around a month away now. A big (supposed) leak by Wal Mart website happened

https://www.gamesradar.com/did-walm...and-try-your-luck-at-guessing-which-are-real/

Notables for me

Forza Horizon 5 (typo would be 4)
Gears 5
Rage 2 (oddly, was just randomly thinking back on Rage 1 and all it's hype at the time a few weeks ago!). This seems pretty plausible if not likely given a Bethesda non denial on twitter.

Others

Splinter Cell
Destiny Comet (DLC). Destiny's annual "big" DLC.
Borderlands 3
Assassin's Creed

Anyways, surprised a bit at Gears 5 apparently before a new Halo (which continues to be delayed). As always, If the graphics are there I can get reasonably hyped although SP games are a tough sell for me post Destiny. I'd rather have Halo easily. Gears 4 was underwhelming and screamed "only 100 people studio" to me.

What are you excited for and/or expecting?

Biggest thing I am hyped about is unannounced titles. I hope there are some good ones.

Other than that, CyberPunk 2077, RDR 2 and Anthem.

Yes on all counts! Especially Cyberpunk and Anthem.

Although didn't Era have a thread that Cyberpunk is rumoured to get a closed door showing at e3 :(?

BTW was just reading some more internet stuff and Bethesda has pretty much confirmed Rage 2 via tweets.

Not excited for any title given the hundreds of games on my backlog. I probably have more excitement from the Rick and Morty 70 Episode renewal than for anything 2018 E3 related.

Most hyped up games for this E3 are: The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, CyberPunk 2077. (Gameplay + trailers)
Very hyped games: Metro, Spiderman, FF VII Remake, Battlefield WWII, RDR2, Days Gone. (Gameplay + trailers)
Sorta hyped: Anthem, New Assassin's Creed, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. (Gameplay + trailers)
For the unannounced but good chance of being shown: Gears 5, DMC 5, Rage 2, Splinter Cell.
And don't give a rat's a ass about the rest :).

Rage 2 can be big. The firsr one was lauded for its gameplay feel, despite a few issues, but I didnt play that one. Next up id made Doom which was lauded for its gameplay feel, and rightfully so as far as I'm concerned. A successor can only be better. Good no shenanigans fun arcadey first person shooter. Doom made people thirsty for more of those.

First E3: 1995
This year: 2018
2018-1995 = 23 = 20 + 3
Half Life 3 confirmed.

I think EA will be under extreme pressure to show something Star Wars this E3. Disney is reportedly losing their patience really fast with the lack of titles being released.

I think EA will be under extreme pressure to show something Star Wars this E3.
I wonder if Respawn would even be able to have something ready. However, it's only been a couple odd years, and presumably, they'd have had to switch to Frostbite (for top level reasons :rolleyes:).

Does EA have any other teams working on Star Wars?

Disney is reportedly losing their patience really fast with the lack of titles being released.

Gotta wonder how the licensing agreement was setup. Takes years to build a game, takes multiple teams to release yearly ($$$$), and then there are the royalties that Disney will take.

Getting out ahead of the inevitable leaks Sony have announced what will (and will not) be the focus for their conference:

In a rare break from tradition, we wanted to give you an early glimpse at what to expect heading into the Showcase on June 11. PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios will be at E3 in full force to provide you with an exclusive look at four upcoming titles: Death Stranding from Kojima Productions, Ghost of Tsushima from Sucker Punch, Marvel’s Spider-Man from Insomniac Games, and The Last of Us Part II from Naughty Dog.​

Sony's Shawn Layden said in the newest PlayStation Blogcast that there will no hardware announcements of any kind.

Getting out ahead of the inevitable leaks Sony have announced what will (and will not) be the focus for their conference:

In a rare break from tradition, we wanted to give you an early glimpse at what to expect heading into the Showcase on June 11. PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios will be at E3 in full force to provide you with an exclusive look at four upcoming titles: Death Stranding from Kojima Productions, Ghost of Tsushima from Sucker Punch, Marvel’s Spider-Man from Insomniac Games, and The Last of Us Part II from Naughty Dog.​

Sony's Shawn Layden said in the newest PlayStation Blogcast that there will no hardware announcements of any kind.
Curious to know why they approached it like this.

I like it, deep dive me some 20 min of solid gameplay from each titles also with story trailers and massive image dumps, I really couldn't ask for more from Sony if that's how their E3 goes :). After all those are my most hyped games anyway.
And this is proof that they're preparing for next gen, revealing Horizon 2 that looks magnitudes better than Horizon ZD would be painfully obvious at this point.

Curious to know why they approached it like this.
My guess.
Expectation management:
People would be disappointed if they went into show expecting new first party and possibly new hardware with all the talk that's been going on.

First party wise we've known/seen these for couple years now. But it is still a good line up leading into next gen. They don't want to show PS5 games just yet, which will be their next set of first party games.

But no Dreams, despite it launching this year and never having been shown? :-?

I don't think Dreams has the kind of mass appeal that is worthy of spending prime time at E3 looking at. the Same was true of Little Big Planet big got lots of coverage before PS3 released and very little after. Personally I am super hyped for Dreams but I like to create things and the creative RAD tools of things like Dreams and Project Spark, RIP, tug at those creative strings.

Creating things or not, it's visually striking and a real stand-out, and E3 is all about the visuals and garnering attention. I'm a little more concerned that it's not testing well or there are many bugs still and they are working hard - something that complex is probably buggy - and might well be delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back