Nintendo Labo - DIY cardboard peripherals for Switch

If you consider the fact it comes with the software that makes it all work, and the standard the price of gaming software, its not that expensive.
Ok. I thought that was the price just for the cardboard. Regardless, even €30-40 for a carboard is expensive

One issue I see is that the peripherals are almost certainly going to be short lived. After building and enjoying, they'll take up a lot of storage space yet also not likely be something you break out frequently. Thus they'll likely hang around a while before going into the recycling. If you think of how much time things like Move idled in many people's drawers and cupboards, and each of these constructs has far less usability than one of those peripherals (how many games are going to require the Piano controller?), it strikes me as an intrinsically disposable concept. Perhaps that's part of the intention to make them from cardboard, knowing they'll be short lived?
Yeah it is not durable like say Meccano, but I like the concept a lot and has massive potential.
Challenge is keeping it within reasonable costs (part of this is probably set margins within Nintendo) that probably explains the design considerations.
But then Amazon seemed to do ok with their cardboard VR, makes me shudder though looking at it :)

They are saying you can download the cutouts. If you can download the cutouts presumably you can have infinite replacements for free assuming you can get some cardboard for free. That would mean it wouldn't look as fancy as the specific colored official Nintendo premade cardboard, but it would be free.

I can't see my son using that without breaking it in a instant, and even if the idea isn't bad, the price is just ridiculous...

Probably one of the better projects out there showing the cardboard potential, and importantly looks like they all had fun.
Still, considering the price it would probably work out cheaper to buy a 2nd hand instrument in most of these cases (when also including the Switch price).
A fun setup though, which is what matters and great way to encourage engagement for children

And also a brief behind the scenes:

Last edited:
Haha first I thought Oh no John what you done, how much did they pay you, but watched it, it truly is fucked, Nice for Nintendo trying something new, but Labo was a huge bomb

Shame really. It's a pretty cool concept and it works very well. Probably has something to do with the Switch demographic, which I'm assuming veers closer to the kind of folks who enjoyed the SNES and the Gamecube rather than the Wii/WiiU systems.

Labo is certainly no Wii Music.

Labo was enjoyable to work on with my niece and nephew. I was surprised they could remain focused long enough to finish some of the more complex builds and even stayed with it for an entire afternoon. So it was a success there. However I don't know how often they go back to reuse what they built.

It seems like Nintendo Labo VR is going to be a total hit.

The CEO of Sony, Shuhei Yoshida, has pre-ordered Nintendo Labo VR. Is that our @orangpelupa ?

Annotation-2019-04-08-234911.png

It seems like Nintendo Labo VR is going to be a total hit.

The CEO of Sony, Shuhei Yoshida, has pre-ordered Nintendo Labo VR. Is that our @orangpelupa ?

Annotation-2019-04-08-234911.png
Yeah that's me hahaha.

I wonder what he'll think of zelda in VR. Puke party? Hahaha. The Mario odyssey should be awesome tho, as those will get special vr mini levels

Anyway,
Yoshida-san is pretty weird for a boss of such huge company (I wish Playstation Asia also follow his example. .) because He's pretty open in twitter and various interviews. He also act like a human being.

Now I remember Iwata-san :( really love his "talks" in Nintendo website where he talks about tons of behind the scene stuff (I think it was "iwata ask")

Back