Will Sony PS4 support FreeSync? *spawn*

mpg1

Veteran
In that DF video Rich mentions that there shouldn't be any reason why PS4 couldn't implement it as well. Wonder if Sony will bother?

PS4 outputs display port then an internal convertor changes it to hdmi, this is how base PS4 got HDR. Will this programmable convertor be able to deal with VRR?

PS4 outputs display port then an internal convertor changes it to hdmi, this is how base PS4 got HDR. Will this programmable convertor be able to deal with VRR?

Is it the same with the Pro?

Look at a teardown of the hardwares. If you can eyeball the HDMI converter chip in the new revisions, then it's there. Otherwise it has been eliminated...

Look at a teardown of the hardwares. If you can eyeball the HDMI converter chip in the new revisions, then it's there. Otherwise it has been eliminated...

There is a Panasonic hdmi encoder on the Pro motherboard just the same as the base model, part numbers differ very slightly on the sample I looked at. Assume the same functionality available across both. Does not rule FreeSync in or out at this point.

I think it's unlikely they would alter the setup unless they had reason to
I'm not sure this statement is correct. There are over 12 revisions to the PS3 controller, for example, and as far as I can tell most of the revisions are just because. There are more than a few PS4 power supplies. I've seen 3 or 4 that are incompatible with each other because they have ports in different spots mostly. Electronically they do vary, but it's a fraction of an amp or volt from model to model. I'm doubtful that any of them would be outside that needs of any of the motherboard revisions. Sony likes to re-engineer things because they like to engineer things. So I guess that's a reason, but it isn't exactly a justification.

But I do believe that all versions of the PS4 use the HDMI encoder chip.

They like cost cutting. Even pennies. Sony have removed 3D PS logo from slim and HDD LED later even.
Yes, but sometimes they arrive back where they started. For example, my example of them having multiple versions of the PS3 controller, the way they connect the conductive membrane to the PCB goes from being a simple foam block that presses the contacts on the membrane and PCB together. That might not be very descriptive if you've never taken them apart, but if you look at a teardown online you will see that's how most of them are. Some of them use a locking slot type connector. They switched back to the foam block by the end. They also use the foam block on Dual Shock 4s and Dual Shock 2s. Except for a few models that don't. There's no way the locking slot costs less than the foam block, but they switched to it and then back to the foam block. Some models of the dual shock 4 use 2 conductive membranes with two connectors. No way that's cheaper.

Sometimes they make changes that are obvious cost reductions. Other times they solve problems. But sometimes... Well it seams like just because.

Back