Intel's new GPU efforts thread?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Since they put Raja in charge of it, Chris will probably start there soon (I have no insider info, just my own guess based on the obvious...duh), and now they got Jim Keller I couldn't remember what thread had that kind of info in it.

Is there one? With Keller coming on board this is starting to REALLY interest me!

Is Keller going to the new graphics division though? I haven't read anything like that...

I think they should have officially announced it by now, at least an hour ago.

He's going to be with Raja again, dream team much?

Minutes after posting this article, Intel confirmed Keller's role in a press release alongside a statement from Keller himself: “I had a great experience working at Tesla, learned a lot, and look forward to all the great technology coming from Tesla in the future. My lifelong passion has been developing the world’s best silicon products,” Keller said. “The world will be a very different place in the next decade as a result of where computing is headed. I am excited to join the Intel team to build the future of CPUs, GPUs, accelerators and other products for the data-centric computing era."

Keller will jump in with Intel as Senior Vice President and "will lead the company’s silicon engineering, which encompasses system-on-chip (SoC) development and integration."

Wow, I wonder what could possibly happen next to really bring this together?

Hmmmmm.............

digitalwanderer ponders deeply, either that or he is really baked again.

It seems ludicrous in this age of forever patents/strictly enforced IP law that these top-end chip designers can be allowed to switch between direct competitors so frequently & in such a short time.
Maybe would make some sense if AMD get some kind of financial/IP kickback out of it like how pro sport teams get paid when stars switch clubs?

It seems ludicrous in this age of forever patents/strictly enforced IP law that these top-end chip designers can be allowed to switch between direct competitors so frequently & in such a short time.
People have a right to work and earn a living for themselves, using the skills they're trained in. It would be inhuman to deny them that.

Imho Intel needs a lot of efforts at the moment. It almost seems as that US industry jewell has been torpedoed from inside through poor executives decisions.
Instead of piling on easy money in the PC realm and sell Atom on rebate they should have further invest in their products lines.
The execs have claimed easy success (good financial statement) by leveraging prior R&D effortsn so prior executive policies.
Not everything went well Larrabee failed BUT the new exec did reorient the R&D simply cut spending. Where is Intel AI tensor core?
Intel GPU were promising with lots of oimprovement and effort made with regard to communicationn then for quite a few year nothing sensible happened. In the context discrete GPU is a good news.
What to say about ATOMn the line got so neglected I even thought (wrongly) that it got discontinued. Intel was almost at parity with ARM and... dropped the ball .

On the other hand ever expanding their big core line through ever wider SIMD (not supported in their main market) has been the main focus but it sounds more to me like a masquarade, the main reason behind the move is reducing R1D efforts and claims easy short achievements profits... Extremely lame management close to national security level of betrayal (looking at Intel relevance to the USA), ARM manages multiple CPU lines GPU, AI cores, video and image processor etc. So does Qualcommn Apple is gearing up its capacities.

Lame extremely lame management that piled more money than we will all together ever do here wasting other people long time efforts...

People have a right to work and earn a living for themselves, using the skills they're trained in. It would be inhuman to deny them that.
Sure and I feel odd being the guy arguing for corporate IP rights but it just seems weird the way that these few top end chip designers can run a multi-billion $$$ program with one company & then nearly immediately switch to the direct competition and start working on chips to beat what they just designed.

Maybe would make some sense if AMD get some kind of financial/IP kickback out of it like how pro sport teams get paid when stars switch clubs?
It balances out, even AMD has recruited employees from Nvidia or recently AMD for their datacenter/HPC they employed ex CTO Raghunath Nambiar from Cisco involved in some very high profile councils/development.
And the circle turns with Nvidia/Intel/Cisco/etc recruiting others.

Engineers are careful in not breaking any NDA/IP technologies they worked on at other companies as a sniff of anything untoward means court case, seems to me the big tech companies are concerned for their sales senior team when they leave and protecting the sales channel/clients; just seems that way to me working with the various R&D team and sales team/VP in a company.
Worth noting many of these guys work on various tech councils, project collaboration, etc and it is drummed in early on never to break NDA/IP; at their level and the high profile tech companies they have worked with it is part of their discipline.

One aspect not talked about often is that sometimes the engineer needs to be careful with their own inventiveness as it could end up as property of their current employer, context of course the solution-design fits in with their work.

Yeah, most of the high level designer/engineer types have to be really careful about that sort of thing...but you can't ban a person from thinking or using his new or modified thoughts for something else. It's a really, really murky area at times and that's why most of the people I know who have to deal with it are very, VERY careful about not doing it or even accidentally reusing old ideas.

You know what I think Intel really needs? They need to bring the dancing bunny people from the Pentium IV era back. Those bunnies can sell ANY chip! :D

You'd think after bouncing through several companies there wouldn't be many new ideas left that aren't IP for previous companies?

No, I don't. I think there are an infinite number of new ideas yet to be created, I don't think people are limited to just a certain number.

Back