Stupid question on PS4Pro

You could never tell if the framerate never drops. But even then, they could poll the input and logic at 120 or 240 Hz, same as racing games, and keep controls even tighter than a locked 60 fps framerate sync'd experience could offer. Uncorroborated Google suggests PS4 polls 250 Hz from DS4 and XB1 polls @ 125 Hz.

There are a bunch of pc ports where folks complain about slo-mo when they set the graphics to max on their toaster. :p

Or... varying damage based on frame rate (dark souls, iirc).

GNM or GNMX are the names of the PS4's graphics API AFAIK. With GNMX being the more high level one again AFAIK.
As far as I know, those apis are offered in the standard library, but if a dev is crazy enough to forego them and write assembly code to the metal itseld as if it were 1985, that would still be an option. I guess the absolute majority of devs simply use the libs as is. But when you want full 100% compatibility, all you need is one game to have decided to fiddle with it a bit and interact more directly with the hardware and things could break. Boost mode is an option, and it works with most games so your assumptions are right, bit there is room for failure, so sony's compatibility mesures are just a safeguard against theoretocally possible exceptions to the rule.

There are a bunch of pc ports where folks complain about slo-mo when they set the graphics to max on their toaster. :p

Or... varying damage based on frame rate (dark souls, iirc).
Is there something of a list? Are the games specific to a geographical region? The two mentioned so far have that in common.

Is there something of a list?
Now-ancient FPS game Painkiller went into slo-mo when there was a lot of monsters on-screen, on the PC I first played it on (a P4-1.7GHz, with either a Geforce 3 or a Radeon 9700 Pro or whatsitscalled). It wasn't a jerky choppy slo-mo either; framerate was still smooth; it was just syrupy slow.

Not sure where exactly the bottleneck was to accomplish that feat, tbh. :D

That's crap both ways which is why development moved to the alternative standard, whiich was being talked about well over a decade ago.

I agree it's crap, but it happens in a bunch of Gen8 titles, and the PS4 Pro is a Gen8.5 console that behaves a Gen8 when in compatibility mode.

So going back to the OP's question, I think that's the answer: many Gen8 games made for the PS4 still synch the frametimes with a bunch of other stuff. And that's why Sony couldn't just make the old games run on significantly more resources when the Pro launched.
Even the rather conservative "boost mode" that doesn't open up the rest of the GPU to the old games - only increases the CPU/GPU clocks - gets weird results on some games.

Is there something of a list? Are the games specific to a geographical region? The two mentioned so far have that in common.
Don't know. I was just remembering from first hand experience with Injustice/Mortal Kombat 9. Online play for Killer Instinct requires that the PC surpass the internal benchmark. The commonality seems to be games that tie the gameplay animations to combat at least. I think the Ninja Gaiden/DOA games do the same.

You used to be able to do mess around with that in idtech4/Doom 3 if you set com_fixedTic to 1 (or maybe -1). Been a while. :p

Last edited:
Back