The AMD Execution Thread [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never did get back with a link from one of my previous posts in this thread but i saw this today :)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1245...tors-starts-to-sell-ddr4-memory-chips-modules

So it has begun.... even if they just sell in the Chinese market, thats still more global capacity and hopefully total supply can start to catch up to demand.

Also have read some stuff that samsung is ramping up both HBM and DDR this year ~20%, hopefully that happens.

W8, do we know for sure this is not a fabless company competing for the same fab capacity ?
the article states they were developed and made in house... so I dunno ? lool

It seems like they produce their own but it is slow ram

This R&D center apparently worked on DDR4 memory ICs as well as a new process technology to make them. Sometime in 2015 the company was acquired by Unigroup Guoxin (which is a part of Tsinghua Holdings) and was renamed to Xi’an UniIC Semiconductor. With financial and political backing of the multi-billion dollar government-controlled conglomerate, Xi’an UniIC finished development of its 4 Gb DDR4 chips and a fabrication process to produce them

It seems like they produce their own but it is slow ram

It doesn't even matter if it's slow at this point. Most people with dual-channel setups on desktops wouldn't even notice any difference in most situations.
Just the fact that there's more supply for DDR4 is good enough IMO.

Most DDR4 memory above 2133 Mhz is XMP -territory anyways, right ? Most won't bother or won't know to enable it unless the motherboard does it for them

There appears to be an option to vote for a 50% increase in the number of shares of common stock and other corporate items whose significance escapes me.

Zen's head architect Mike Clark says he's already working on "Zen 5" (confirmed in end notes not to be mistake). Some speculate, though, that it's actually 4th Zen -architecture, with number 4 left out due China's issue with the number 4

Anything of interest in it?

In order:

Item 1: Election and pay of directors. Bog standard, the directors represent and work for the shareholders, so the shareholders need to pick them and decide their pay.

Between items 1 and 2: Various statements about how things are at AMD. These are basically what the board has to or has decided they want to share with the shareholders. Contains things like calculations meant to show that they are not overpaying their CEO, lists of their largest stockholders, things like that. Of note, they briefly mention the WSA, mainly that it ends no later than 2024, and that the 2016 amendment to it gave them the right to use the 14nm or 7nm processes of certain other companies for some of their products in exchange for paying $100M to GF and increasing their WSA wafer allocations in the future.

Item 2: Selection of accounting firm. Bog standard, the shareholders need to have a say on this so that the board can't pick their friendly totally-not-enron's-accountants to lie to the stockholders.

Item 3: Increase in allowed # of stock. Currently, AMD's charter allows for 1.5B shares, of which they have ~1B shares outstanding, and ~360M shares earmarked for compensation or convertible debt, leaving the company able to issue at most 140M new shares without shareholder votes. The board believes that they should have the ability to rapidly issue more new stock than that, should an opportunity to do something interesting but expensive arise. They ask to raise the limit of max stock outstanding to 2.25B. They claim that they currently have no particular purpose for that additional capital, they'd just prefer to have the option if it's needed.

Item 4: Executive pay. Pretty normal.

Zen's head architect Mike Clark says he's already working on "Zen 5" (confirmed in end notes not to be mistake). Some speculate, though, that it's actually 4th Zen -architecture, with number 4 left out due China's issue with the number 4

I thought Jim Keller was the main guy for the Zen architecture before leaving AMD again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back