Crazy (arguably stupid) new rig

Heaven Benchmark sees the system settle in with the CPU at 3.9-4.0 GHz (and heaven using 45% cpu). I don't have a utility to read the Vega clocks (link anyone) but it stabilized at 87-89 C with a %GPU utility showing no throttling.
If it manages no throttling, it’s quite impressive under any circumstances, but in that enclosure and quietly...?
I need to check that system out.
Thanks.

Some people speculate that if the fans could be forced to spin faster (and more noisily), the thermals could be improved, and thus performance ceiling of the system could be raised. There are utilities around out there for fan control under MacOS I hear, but none were compatible at the time the iMac Pro came out.

So if one can stand some ruckus, throttling might be improved. Not sure how much it would help the CPU though, because it has that infamous Intel heatspreader/TIM, but the Vega is a bare die and should be cooled more easily.

Speaking of fan noise; it would be interesting to hear what kind of noise level might be worst-case in an iMac Pro, seeing as the casing is almost fully sealed (and largely made of stiff materials like cast metal and glass), and also, the exhaust vent is pointing away from the user at the rear of the computer. It might muffle fan noise from evil radial fans, one can hope.

The current iMac form factor has been around for a long time. Much improved cooling solution in the iMac Pro though.

Heaven Benchmark sees the system settle in with the CPU at 3.9-4.0 GHz (and heaven using 45% cpu). I don't have a utility to read the Vega clocks (link anyone) but it stabilized at 87-89 C with a %GPU utility showing no throttling.

Is that the hotspot temperature? I've read that it throttles with hotspot temp around 115C, in my case I've seen it throttle with hotspot at around 110C even though the core temp. was barely over 70.

Is that the hotspot temperature? I've read that it throttles with hotspot temp around 115C, in my case I've seen it throttle with hotspot at around 110C even though the core temp. was barely over 70.
The extremely good thermal monitoring is a blessing, not a problem. Apple uses a metric crapton of thermal sensors in these systems. It’s another of those things that Apple does without getting any credit for it.

The iMac Pro appears to have at least two GPU sensors: local board and die (note the 1080Ti is not connected owing to Appledickdom):
heaven.jpg

In case anyone was wondering what Entropy meant by a "crapton of thermal sensors":
Heh! A fair amount of sensors for sure! I wonder if you really need a sensor near every DIMM slot, but the more the merrier I suppose... :p That's a sweet monitoring program you have there by the way, what's it called?

The iMac Pro appears to have at least two GPU sensors: local board and die
I've seen it stated that vega has a crapton of thermal sensors of its own (one might assume all decently complex ASICs these days do), but most of them appears to not be user accessible... In GPU-Z, all you have is a generic "GPU temperature" (which might even be a composite of a number of different sensors who knows), and then the "GPU hotspot", whatever that is. :p (Is one vega's hotspot the same as another's?)

I'm still drooling over all those temp sensors! As far as I'm concerned the more information like that available the more better, and that is by far and away the most impressive temp coverage I've ever seen!

The extremely good thermal monitoring is a blessing, not a problem. Apple uses a metric crapton of thermal sensors in these systems. It’s another of those things that Apple does without getting any credit for it.

Apple isn't what I'm concerned about, it's AMD. The problem is that the temperature isn't exposed via AMD's wattman and it took me a couple of weeks to realize that the card wasn't dropping clocks due to instability while overclocking. Besides the delta being so large, that it crosses 100C on stock settings in no time.

As for the apple thing, the sensors are from intel and AMD, I doubt apple are getting some custom hardware made for themselves.

Back